Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Indian Village history quest

I am trying to find people who remember a former boarding house at 8325 E. Jefferson called The Purity Club. My great grandmother owned the place in the late '30s/early '40s until the early 1960s. The house, which is still there at the foot of Indian Village, catered to young professionals -- doctors, lawyers, etc. I am putting together a family history and was interested in seeing if anyone had family that lived there or could share any memories they have of the place.

Here's the house:

One interesting story:

My grandmother died in 2006 and among her possessions was a framed copy of my great-grandmother's obituary from the Free Press. The obituary mentioned an embroidered linen tablecloth that included the names of every man who had lived at the Purity Club. Somehow, the tablecloth was passed on to a former tenant. After reading the obituary, I tracked down the man's daughter, who still lives in Metro Detroit. Turns out she still had the tablecloth and was gracious enough to give it to me. I'm trying to identify all the names, some of which you can see below. I will post a complete list soon, but if any of the names ring a bell, please let me know.

Here are some of the names:

Chick Bailey, John Slaughter, Emile Rimbault, Bob Powers, John Deres, Elon Stewart, Waldo Greiner, Dunbar Sullivan, Cecil Leopard, Tom Truss, Graham Wilson, Ronald Jardine, Jack Buss, Harry Joy, Bud Wight, Jerry Jerome, Jack Sheridan, Mac MacArthur, Paul Brown, Bob Miller, Frank Bell.

Thanks everyone.

LodgeDodger Guest

I'm sending you a PM.

Mac MacArthur may have been my grandfather. I'll need to do some research on this one.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the boarding house. My time growing up in Indian Village was the late '60s and '70s when that building housed Planned Parenthood [[and the one next door was the headquarters of the local Hare Krishnas). The building itself was built as the James Hamilton house, and was designed by famous Detroit architect William B. Stratton, as part of Stratton & Baldwin. Although it is not part of Indian Village proper [[which does not permit rentals, boarding houses, or commercial or organizational uses), it is a part of the Indian Village historic district.

Here is a bigger picture: