Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    are they only carry out or is it sit-down at all?
    They are neither. They went out of business earlier this year. The neighborhood killed them.

Ryan's story does not make any sense to me either. I worked for Torchy as a bartender in '72/'73. He was unmarried and had no children at the time. I do remember he had some neices and nephews about my age. I remember his mother and many of the old regulars who followed Torchy from the Kercheval bar to the East Warren location. He took me to a couple of fights at the Olympia [[he was also a boxing coach) - experiences I will never forget.

At the time I worked for him he was just starting serving pizzas. He did a lot of experimenting to get the recipe just right. I have to give him a lot of credit, because it paid off. He expanded to include the salads and some other items, and hired bartenders who could make blended drinks, martini's, etc. His regulars at the time gave him a lot of flack for it [[as I remember being on the receiving end quite a few times) because they thought he was ruining the bar. In their defense I have to say they stuck with him throught the changes. In my opinion, he saved his business, by appealing to a broader audience.

Can anyone fill me in on Torchy Scullen?

I still have an old matchbook as a keepsake.

Another East Side memory.

I think he still lives on Outer Drive and Mack .

Krypno and I have many a beer at Barbies! I moved from the area 2 years ago. Too bad about Cals.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    12468- Cals, used to be on Kercheval and Lillibridge. It's named after the owner Jim "Torchy" a, mother
    I remember my Dad's friend, Torch...owned Cal's in the 70's...is Torchy the son? Torch would probably be in his 80's today...they called my Dad "Butch" back then...hmmm??

That's Torchy Jim Scullen,same person, he must be pushing 80

Wow...he was a best friend of my Dad's. We called him Torch. How well do you know him? I've got some OLD pics of him and my Dad from back in the day...if you see him,ask if he remembers Tony? I think they even went to Vegas together ..early 70's ...with some other "characters"..lol. My Dad died years ago. I was only about 14 or 15, but I remember Torch as being a tall and handsome man...

Quote Originally Posted by kgaines View Post
    Trying to place who you are, as I am related to the owner of Cal's and do not remember you? I started my waitressing career at Cal's in 1978 did you say your father owned the business? Because the owner is my uncle and he has no children.
    My Name is Ryan Guzall and my father, Raymond Guzall owned Cal's Pizza on East Warren. My brother, Raymond Guzall III, was a cook there while he was also a member of the MSU hockey team as the student manager. Our family business, Cal's Pizza, was owned and operated solely by the Guzall family from 1984-1989. In addition, the Guzall's owned and operated Ray's Bandy Roost, the Cow Palace, and Kay's Kitchen. In addition, my father was the founder of Pointes East, the Detroit business owners association.

It would have been nice if anyone had done their research prior to claiming to have "busted" me.

If anyone is still having an issue believing that I could possibly be the son of the owner, see attached:

Ryan:

Now that you have established the timeline I believe you. My history with Cal's is close to 40 years old [[hard to believe!) My apologies for doubting you.

Default Cal's is Coming Back

Hey Everyone!

Cal's recipe back! I am currently working on re-perfecting the recipe with my Brother at a friend of the family's pizza place and I will post when we have some pizzas ready to eat!

I don't know if any of you experienced the Cal's frozen pizza, but my Dad perfected it, and it used to be the only in-house pizza available to guests of the Troy Mariott. I am look forward to bringing it back to life for those who have been missing it for years and to shipping one out to those of you who have moved away from the Metro Detroit area!

I'll post some additional pictures of the multitude of Cal's memorabilia I have for those who want to take a trip down memory lane shortly!

We're coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    I used to patronize Cal's regularly when I lived in EEV. Great pizza... in fact, one of the best on the eastside, if not the metro area. I'm lamenting the fact that I won't able to get one last pizza before they close. Damn.

Cloverleaf [[or maybe a trip over to the original Buddy's) is now really the only real option for far eastsiders, when it comes to that kind of quality.
    G. Willies [[sp) on Harper and 13 is also good. In fact, before they moved from 10 and Harper, they actually sold Cal's Pizza. I had it last Christmas and it seems like the same old Cals. Give them a try

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Krypt-I lived 2 houses down from Barbies, back in 78, I think Cals moved to Harper around the same time
    I grew up on Bedford, 4 houses off the corner of Munich and Bedford, between Munich and Cornwall. We ate Cal's pizza all the time. There was another carryout pizza place that wasn't too bad [[different style pizza) called Zeno's. It was right next to the Bedford Inn. We ordered that alot in the 1970's and had it delivered.

I did several tours overseas while I was in the Navy and my folks used to tease me by saying I would receive a Cals Pizza in the next mail call. Being solid eastsiders it was normally one of the first meals we would have when I came home on leave. Best Pizza in the World.....Sad to see it go.

...another piece of the good ol' days.

Default The Proof is in the Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Ryan's story does not make any sense to me either. I worked for Torchy as a bartender in '72/'73. He was unmarried and had no children at the time. I do remember he had some neices and nephews about my age. I remember his mother and many of the old regulars who followed Torchy from the Kercheval bar to the East Warren location. He took me to a couple of fights at the Olympia [[he was also a boxing coach) - experiences I will never forget.

At the time I worked for him he was just starting serving pizzas. He did a lot of experimenting to get the recipe just right. I have to give him a lot of credit, because it paid off. He expanded to include the salads and some other items, and hired bartenders who could make blended drinks, martini's, etc. His regulars at the time gave him a lot of flack for it [[as I remember being on the receiving end quite a few times) because they thought he was ruining the bar. In their defense I have to say they stuck with him throught the changes. In my opinion, he saved his business, by appealing to a broader audience.

Can anyone fill me in on Torchy Scullen?

I still have an old matchbook as a keepsake.

Another East Side memory.
    Scullen was the original owner. He sold the entire business to my father, Raymond Guzall, in 1984. The Guzall's owned and operated Cal's from 1984-1989, during which time our pizza was continuously voted the best pizza in Detroit by the Detroit News and Free Press. In 1989, as a result of the closing of the Chrysler plant, my father sold the business and the Cal's on East Warren was no more.

I have been a fan of pizza since I was a small child. Cal's was, in fact, the first pizza I had. I eat at Louie's in Warren from time to time and find their pizza to similar to what Cal's used to offer, although not quite the same. There is a Sir Pizza in Rochester Hills on Tienken Road which offers a pizza with crust similar to Cal's but with a different cheese and sauce blend. I have eaten square pizza from nearly every location I could located in the Metro Detroit area and, while some have been close, nothing compares to the original Cal's.

I am currently working on bringing the Cal's pizza back. Last night I went through all the training tapes my Dad made and noted all the nuances that resulted in the pizza you all remember. I am currently working to locate all the cheeses [[which has proven more difficult than anyone might think), and will keep this board posted with updates as they occur.

I want to eat a Cal's again just as much as anyone on this board and am in the process of doing everything I can to ensure that happens!

On a side note: does anyone know where Marge or Mary Kelly are these days?

Ryan

If Cal's pizza would have made more money selling pizzas they wouldn't have had to shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hindsight View Post
    If Cal's pizza would have made more money selling pizzas they wouldn't have had to shut down.
    If you had spend a few more minutes thinking about it, you made have made someone laugh.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3