Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Educate me about local politics

Hello again.

Thanks so far for the friendly greetings.

I did make use of the crime map one of the posters suggested and found that my neighborhood here in North Las Vegas had much more crime in it over the past 2 months than where my new house is on Buckingham.

That is a relief.

Here in Vegas every politician is corrupt.

The least corrupt and therefore best loved is Mayor Goodman, who used to be a mob lawyer Really he is a very good mayor and is likely to be governor of Nevada.

So can anyone give me the run down on politics:

I am libertarian so regardles of whether they are Left or Rigth wing I won't be offended.

Kirkpatrick was totally corrupt? Bing is there now/ Is he also corrupt.

Is the governor of Michigan trying to have the burned down parts of detroit declared disaster areas?

What about Habitat for Humanity? Acorn? what is the deal.

I'd love to hear from you locals.

Thanks.

Bing is a steely eyed businessman who says he is going to set the City right. Not a whiff of corription about him, but his right hand man did spend time in Federal Tennis Camp in the early 1990's for a sludge hauling kickback scheme. A new crop of City Councilpeople are taking office right now, but enough of the old ones are hanging on to give the place an odor. The new Council President [[chosen because he was the highest vote getter) is a rookie politician wo jst so happens to be a former newsreader, bon vivant and fashion mavin.

Buy a gun and learn how to use it. Old ladies carry guns in Detroit, you should at least protect yourself as well as an old lady. Around the house I suggest a Mosberg 500 JIC 12 gauge. It is nice and small at 18 inches and made to order for close quarter work. A long barrel and stock is just too clumsy in a confined space like a home. The loads would be personal preference but as a left coaster you might be more comfortable with birdshot.

A pistol is not in your best interest if you've never carried, they muss up one's jogging attire.

12 gauge: Got it. I am just waiting for the white sales to pass and going down to a sporting goods store to pick one up.

Grew up in a pro gun pro hunting family. I shot my first pistol at 5, but I am a bit out of practice with hand guns. I agree that shotguns make the best home defense weapons.

Nothing says "get the hell out of my house" like the sound of that pump.

Here in Nevada the laws about weapons are wide open, more like an old west state than "left coast" as you put it. You can even buy a machine gun out here.

What are the firearm laws like in Michigan. Isn't it kind of a liberal state?

Good to hear that about Bing. I am a big basketball fan. If I were into pro football nothing could drag me to Detroit but at least you've got a decent basketball team with a few championships to its name.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Buy a gun and learn how to use it.
    Good God, Gnome.

Single female here, and I've lived in Detroit every single day of my life. I've never owned a gun, touched a gun or needed a gun, nor have my parents, who live in the city, nor has my 94-year-old grandmother, who still lives in the city [[by herself). I live here without fear; I'm cautious and aware of my surroundings.

Despite what some people on this forum want you to believe, Detroit is not the wild west. Although many people own guns, the majority of Detroiters that I know do not own guns and do not have problems. You just need to know what areas are safe, and be careful especially if alone or at night. Gnome is exaggerating for effect, I believe.

You first asked about politics. Basically, politics is a dirty business wherever you are. The higher up you go the dirtier it gets.

I don't care what your "crime map" says, if you think Detroit is safer then Las Vegas you're kidding yourself. The first time you call 911 in Detroit you're in for a rude awakening.

As far as the shotgun goes that's your decision, doesn't sound like a bad idea to me though.

Single female?

Get a couple big dogs when you move. "Nothing says 'get the hell out of my house' like the sound of that pump." However, nothing says "don't even come around here" like one 90 lb rottweiler [[or sheppard/whatever) in the yard, but people know you have two.

My favorite moment with my old dog [[RIP) was when I was doing some work on an upstairs window late one evening and the cops came around with their lights on me asking what I was doing. I explained I was fixing my window. The dog was in the yard going crazy. They said someone had broke into a car a few doors down and another neighbor called the cops because someone ran through their yard. One cop put his light on the dog and said "he didn't go through your yard." The other said "I wouldn't go through your yard!"

Yes it is true our police protection sucks! I don't own a gun but thanks to my Dad who loved to hunt I am a great shot. I just don't feel the need for a gun! The key around here is great neighbors, in particular ones who controll their kids.

Yes I do have a dog whose knickname is fat boy. He is an ancient beagle mix now called Puggles. He is a good alert though to insane squirrels and stray cats.

Pretty much in Detroit, if you mind your own business and keep your nose clean, it is quite safe regardless of stories that say otherwise. Did have a friend murdered a few years ago but to be honest his life style was questionable.

I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Our new friend is moving into an area I am not familar with, so my advice might be way off base, but I was under the impression that it was Copper Canyon land and those areas suffered terribly as a result of folks pouring out after residency was repealed.

If my advice seemed alarmist, that was not my intention, I did not mean to frighten Mr mjcmex.. In fact, I should have refrained from even touching on the subject, but I was concerned he might be considering a handgun because when outsider hear Detroit they automatically think handguns. I am not a fan of handguns for home owners. Too much damage can come from those things, the bullets go through walls and roofs and bodies too easily.

But a nice friendly shotgun is a different thing altogether. Especially if loaded with short load birdshot. Big affect with minimun effect. Bird shot won't go through a wall if that is not your intention. In short if the last thing you want to do is hurt someone while at the same time protecting your family in a desperate situation, a shotgun is a good thing to have.

Now, in the shotgun catagory, not all shotguns are your friend in close quarters. A long barrel is as likely to end up tangled in the curtains as being used. A 4 ft long gun in a 3 ft wide hallway is no way to feel safe and hit what you intend to hit; that is why I recomended the Mossberg 500 JIC ... the JIC stands for Just In Case. No stock, a pistol grip combined with a short barrel. It is made for defensive purposes.
    The even make one for marine[[water) conditions:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D20%26um%3D1

Which Mr. Mjcmex might consider since he will be close-ish to the water. A desert dweller might not have even been thinking about a boat, but with all the money he'll save after buying his house, he could think about a nice 28 foot bayliner for the weekends.

On reconsideration, this thread is about politics, I was wrong in even bringing up shotguns, ammo, body armour or arm and hammer. This is about politics.

The politicos will shoot their mouths off on occasion, unfortunately, they don't use shotguns while doing so.

20 Gauge Mossberg is better for women, less recoil, more compact. Bird shot for warning, less lethal. Or the real deal XX if warning ceiling shot does not deter [[you can do variable loads in the same gun of course). If you are going to do a long gun, make sure you go to a qualified legal gun range for training and handling, but you know that.... Michigan is a hunting state and fairly gun friendly, especially regarding long guns for home protection for those who choose that route. Some do, some don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJCMEX View Post
    12 gauge: Got it. I am just waiting for the white sales to pass and going down to a sporting goods store to pick one up.

Grew up in a pro gun pro hunting family. I shot my first pistol at 5, but I am a bit out of practice with hand guns. I agree that shotguns make the best home defense weapons.

Nothing says "get the hell out of my house" like the sound of that pump.

Here in Nevada the laws about weapons are wide open, more like an old west state than "left coast" as you put it. You can even buy a machine gun out here.

Good to hear that about Bing. I am a big basketball fan. If I were into pro football nothing could drag me to Detroit but at least you've got a decent basketball team with a few championships to its name.

Thanks

PS. Guns aside, you will find a wealth of info regarding the evolution an devolution of Detroit politics here [[detroityes.com)! The city is going thru alot, but not all bad. Check out the archives and search engine here on various subjects [[key words) relative to city government, employment, unions, DPS, previous mayors, regionalism, fiscal financing local and state, public safety, policing, crime, housing and real estate etc. That will keep you busy for hours! BTW, welcome to the Great Lake State!
    Hello again.

Thanks so far for the friendly greetings.

I did make use of the crime map one of the posters suggested and found that my neighborhood here in North Las Vegas had much more crime in it over the past 2 months than where my new house is on Buckingham.

That is a relief.

Here in Vegas every politician is corrupt.

The least corrupt and therefore best loved is Mayor Goodman, who used to be a mob lawyer Really he is a very good mayor and is likely to be governor of Nevada.

So can anyone give me the run down on politics:

I am libertarian so regardles of whether they are Left or Rigth wing I won't be offended.

Kirkpatrick was totally corrupt? Bing is there now/ Is he also corrupt.

Is the governor of Michigan trying to have the burned down parts of detroit declared disaster areas?

What about Habitat for Humanity? Acorn? what is the deal.

I'd love to hear from you locals.

Thanks.

To breath is political. We share the same air.

My take on local politics is that Bing is an old fart who hired back the same old hacks who have been around for forever. Change, I don't think so!

Council is also a bit strange too. One thing I can say is this is the first election in a long time that I think was for real. I can live with results if I believe it was a clean election. The people spoke. I put my hopes for Detroits future into the charter reform collective.

The eastside is a bit fuddyduddy. No classey restaurants but lots of great local bars. We have some great neighborhoods and also vaste expanses of urban prairie.

When you move here please post. Fresh voices are always welcome. The city is troubled but not beyond hope. I am a founding member of a Detroit based Historical Society non profit. Preserving our eastside history is important but moving this city forward is far more important.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Softailrider there is a store just down the street from me that was robbed 4 times in the past 3 months. There are gang tags within 100 yards of my house.
    Over 40 registered sex offenders live within walking distance. There have been murders within a mile of my front door.

I am not saying that Detroit is safer. I am saying that I live in a neighborhood that has gone way downhill since I moved in. Perhaps it is worse in Detroit, or uglier, but I am saying that I am not a stranger to urban blight.

The idea to get a dog or dogs is very good. I am planning on it.

The idea of getting a boat is even better.

I have a buddy who lives outside fo Chicago who likes to hunt. If I get the shot gun who knows, maybe I'll take that up again.

Finally for sumas:

I have some experience in grant writing and development direction.

Can you please tell me more about your not for profit efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    You just need to know what areas are safe, and be careful especially if alone or at night.
    Tell us, which areas ARE "safe?"

[[By the way, if an area isn't safe at night and/or for people who are alone, in my book, it doesn't qualify as "safe.")

Some areas are 'safer' for sure... and those safe areas can be in "pockets" or expansive for many blocks. A good example is Woodward and 7 mile: on the east side of Seven mile especially by Brush is really scary [[day and night!) with burnt out homes, drugged out people and prostitution and high crime. Then the west side of Woodward at 7 mile you have the golf course and Palmer Woods, which while not without crime is still an fairly good area with some very nice well maintained homes where some people still venture out for walks in the area. If you car were to break down you'd be better off to have it happen over there rather than near Brush street around there.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Tell us, which areas ARE "safe?"

[[By the way, if an area isn't safe at night and/or for people who are alone, in my book, it doesn't qualify as "safe.")

Hey thats sweet. We maintain a non profit status. To date we have conducted several lectures and bus tours and tv interviews. Written a few small successful grants and are trying to get a book published. Detroit has a rich fancinating history.

In our book we draw a direct correlation between the horse racing industry and the automotive industry. Hence the morningside connection. Many many streets on the eastside have name connections to those tracks.

When you get into town look us up. You will get a great two bit tour of the eastside. Just post here.

I don't really think of Detroit proper as terribly dangerous. There really isn't anywhere I won't go. Caution is always advisable however.

Definately get a boat. Our waterways are stellar.

If you make it here by March, check out the Tap Room Bar. They throw a great party celebrating the repeal of the Volstead Act [[repeal of prohibition). This year I plan on going in costume. Just silly fun.

Retroit Guest

Kirkpatrick was totally corrupt?
    Yes.

Bing is there now/ Is he also corrupt.
    So far so good. Certainly not the thug that Kilpatrick was. The new city council has the potential of being much better than the last. The biggest problem that I see is not so much the corruption at the top as it is the bureaucracy, inefficiency, and incompetence from the top down.

No, but she should. As I've said before, it should be a national disaster area. We need not only the National Guard, but also the U.S. Army and FEMA.

What about Habitat for Humanity?
    Yes they are here and somewhat active. I've seen a few areas where they are building homes. Their website is not very current or informative http://www.habitatdetroit.org/ but the "photo gallery" link provided this: http://keithhabitat.shutterfly.com/

Acorn? what is the deal.
    I don't hear much about them locally. Didn't even know they had a local office till I found this: http://www.acorn.org/index.php?id=15861 Looks pretty dead. Maybe Detroit is too poor for them to bother?

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...0600--,00.html

And for Detroit: http://library1.municode.com/default...ction=whatsnew [[I can't get the appropriate laws to pop up. You'll have to type "weapons" in the search field.)

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Hey thats sweet. We maintain a non profit status. To date we have conducted several lectures and bus tours and tv interviews. Written a few small successful grants and are trying to get a book published. Detroit has a rich fancinating history.

In our book we draw a direct correlation between the horse racing industry and the automotive industry. Hence the morningside connection. Many many streets on the eastside have name connections to those tracks.

When you get into town look us up. You will get a great two bit tour of the eastside. Just post here.

I don't really think of Detroit proper as terribly dangerous. There really isn't anywhere I won't go. Caution is always advisable however.

Definately get a boat. Our waterways are stellar.

If you make it here by March, check out the Tap Room Bar. They throw a great party celebrating the repeal of the Volstead Act [[repeal of prohibition). This year I plan on going in costume. Just silly fun.
    Awesome. I would be very interested in helping as time permits.
    I raised funds for an opera company in Pasadena in the 1990s and have other 501c3 things to add if people are interested.

Crazy artists like places like the Detroit ruins.

Thanks also for the info Retroit.

Boy the way this is going I'll know some people before we move. That always makes things easier and better.
    I am flying out on the 19th of this month for a quick visit, to get quotes for repairs etc...just an overnight...yep March sounds about right for the actual move.

Cheers.

If you run out of things to fix up on your remodeling project, a local group could use your help. Maybe meet a few people. Best wishes.

http://www.algertheater.org/news.htm

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    If you run out of things to fix up on your remodeling project, a local group could use your help. Maybe meet a few people. Best wishes.

http://www.algertheater.org/news.htm

Thanks...yep this is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for.

bartock Guest

For whatever reason, I found a dog [[Rott) to be very effective in deterring people when I lived in Detroit in the late 90s/early 2000s. I never owned a gun, but I always liked to think that it was safer and more effective than owning one [[admit I do not think that I would not have been capable of shooting anyone then. Now, with kids...but not there anymore).

If you are truly Libertarian, you are going to have some issues...good luck to you, though.

...and whoever mentioned the [Ye Olde] Tap Room, in my opinion it is one of the more "Detroit" bars [[at least the atmosphere, the garage door area by the wall of empty bottles that is "Motor City" in terms of style and age. It is something of a relic) you can go to here, though it is located just across the street from Detroit off Alter in Grosse Pointe Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Despite what some people on this forum want you to believe, Detroit is not the wild west.
    Uhhh, yes, it is. It's come to that.

When people are robbed sitting on their own porch late at night, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    For whatever reason, I found a dog [[Rott) to be very effective in deterring people when I lived in Detroit in the late 90s/early 2000s. I never owned a gun, but I always liked to think that it was safer and more effective than owning one [[admit I do not think that I would not have been capable of shooting anyone then. Now, with kids...but not there anymore).

If you are truly Libertarian, you are going to have some issues...good luck to you, though.

...and whoever mentioned the [Ye Olde] Tap Room, in my opinion it is one of the more "Detroit" bars [[at least the atmosphere, the garage door area by the wall of empty bottles that is "Motor City" in terms of style and age. It is something of a relic) you can go to here, though it is located just across the street from Detroit off Alter in Grosse Pointe Park.
    Yep I am a real libertarian.

Retroit Guest

Detroit is the Wild East.

...or the Wild West of the East.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Our new friend is moving into an area I am not familar with, so my advice might be way off base, but I was under the impression that it was Copper Canyon land and those areas suffered terribly as a result of folks pouring out after residency was repealed.

If my advice seemed alarmist, that was not my intention, I did not mean to frighten Mr mjcmex.. In fact, I should have refrained from even touching on the subject, but I was concerned he might be considering a handgun because when outsider hear Detroit they automatically think handguns. I am not a fan of handguns for home owners. Too much damage can come from those things, the bullets go through walls and roofs and bodies too easily.

But a nice friendly shotgun is a different thing altogether. Especially if loaded with short load birdshot. Big affect with minimun effect. Bird shot won't go through a wall if that is not your intention. In short if the last thing you want to do is hurt someone while at the same time protecting your family in a desperate situation, a shotgun is a good thing to have.

Now, in the shotgun catagory, not all shotguns are your friend in close quarters. A long barrel is as likely to end up tangled in the curtains as being used. A 4 ft long gun in a 3 ft wide hallway is no way to feel safe and hit what you intend to hit; that is why I recomended the Mossberg 500 JIC ... the JIC stands for Just In Case. No stock, a pistol grip combined with a short barrel. It is made for defensive purposes.
    The even make one for marine[[water) conditions:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D20%26um%3D1

Which Mr. Mjcmex might consider since he will be close-ish to the water. A desert dweller might not have even been thinking about a boat, but with all the money he'll save after buying his house, he could think about a nice 28 foot bayliner for the weekends.

A 12 gauge shotgun with no stock? Just a pistol grip? Thank you, that's not for me . I'm 6'3- 220 lbs. I've handled rifles, shotguns and handguns my entire life and I couldn't control that thing. Give me the same thing with a regular stock and an eighteen and a half inch barrel please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast