Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Reality Has Set In

My dad, a Korean War vet, former beatnik and then proud hippie during Vietnam,
    sent me a surprising email this morning.

Well, I'm sitting here, [[a guy who voted for Obama), sorting through the first of the bills needed to be paid this month. Gonna sit down here and start writing some checks, [[me, a guy who voted for Obama). While I am not getting an increase in Social Security for the next TWO YEARS. Thank you, obama.]
    Obama spends more on his darn dog, than me and Teri gets to live on. And he took his family, and the dog on vacation to Hawaii, whilst us Social Security people opened up their checks to find not one extra "penny" in their income. Yup, us old timers , who were around during WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, and just have Social Security to live off, [[I voted for Obama), and that obama sucker takes better care of his dog, than he takes care of us. If he runs again, next elections, OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE THE BIG FALL! [[cause I aint gonna vote for obama, ever, again). He has betrayed the War Veterans of the USA.] 'Nuff said, back to these bills. Loves ya'll, it's cold today, Dad.

I'm sorry your Dad is so upset and I don't blame him. The one at the top always ends up taking the fall, so his anger is logical although misplaced.

Let's first point out that any president will have similar spending. Bush spent a lot of time away and he had two dogs, for instance.

Now let's talk about causes. The cost of living increase that did not happen this year for Social Security is based on a faulty accounting system that happened in the 70s, I think it was. Obama had nothing to do with that accounting system. If you and your Dad want to change that accounting system, it is time to contact your US Reps and Senators and start putting on the pressure.

Retroit Guest

Social Security needs a major overhaul. Primarily, the age needs to be raised. When it was established, 65 was considered OLD. I know that the age will rise to 67, but this is not enough. The age should be pegged to the average life expectancy. I am happy though that it is pegged to the Cost-Of-Living and that this is being adhered to.

Thank you, obama!

I don't believe that letter. I bet it shows up on other websites.

Hilarious.

"Gonna sit down here and start writing some checks, [[me, a guy who voted for Obama)."

Did he think that he wouldn't have to write checks anymore?

Social Security needs a major overhaul.
    The world's greatest pyramid scheme needs a radical change and it will happen sooner than you think.

I just did a little memory refreshing research on that Cost of Living [[COLA) adjustment that recipients didn't get this year.

The terms were set in 1975, during the Gerald Ford administration. This is direct from the Social Security Administration site:

Since 1975, Social Security's general benefit increases have been based on increases in the cost of living, as measured by the Consumer Price Index. We call such increases Cost-Of-Living Adjustments, or COLAs. Because there has been a decline in the Consumer Price Index, there will be no COLA payable in 2010.
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/C...lasummary.html

The issue with the Consumer Price Index is that it is based upon what we consumers pay for goods we buy. We all know that prices have gone up for some things we use all the time, like groceries and utilities. But the gasoline and heating fuel prices declined so much that they impacted that index, driving it down. So if you drive a lot or live in a cold climate and use a lot of heating oil, you may have a lower Cost of Living. Otherwise...

Fidel Guest

Default Serious Bullshit there

Besides, Sara Palin is the answer? I mean who does the other side have to offer? Huckleberry? That idiot govenor from Louisiana?

I'm not at all happy with all Obama has not done yet, but the reality is the republicans are the party that offers nothing, except a trip back a hundred years ago.

So a hippie would vote republican? Take your b.s. elsewhere, it's not selling here.

Retroit Guest

Castro, aren't you dead yet?

Shows your limited mindset and reactionary psyche.

Fidel is not an uncommon name. It only is linked to Castro through your limited experience and bias.

I've bumped into one for many years now. A fellow I greatly respect, for each time I encounter him he is doing another great thing, deliberately.

This guy is an extraordinary VW mechanic and even more amazing lover of humanity...often working directly to aid those in need.

I say all this to counter your lame-ass empty shill response.

Cheers

Retroit Guest

If you had bothered to read the post I was responding to, it may have made sense to you.

Pip-pip, cheerio, and tootaloo to you!

Fidel Guest

And so in a typical teabagging manor you responded by asking if someone was dead?

Let me guess you're the same guy that would be appalled if someone gave a Rush Limbaugh death wish and yet the only coherrent thought you can come up with is: "is'nt Castro dead yet"?

It's my name, get used to it.

Thanks Gannon!

smudge pot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    My dad, a Korean War vet, former beatnik and then proud hippie during Vietnam,
    sent me a surprising email this morning.
    Tell your dad that the only thing Obama and Santa Claus have in common is that no one knows where either was born.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel View Post
    It's my name, get used to it.
    Your name is Fidel Castro? Wow, Lowell sure draws a crowd!

Say hello to Raul for me.

What kind of person would post one of their father's emails on a message board?????

Odd. My father sent me the exact same email -- word for word.

Is Papsito my long lost brother?! YIKES!

Fidel Guest

Default Besides all the BS in the original post

it's not even true. Obama's dog did not go to Hawaii. This is from the Washington Post: " Bo, the puppy -- is not making the trip.
    White House officials confirmed that the Obamas' Portuguese water dog stayed behind when Marine One departed the White House on Christmas Eve. Hawaii has strict quarantine policies, requiring 120 days of pet isolation to contain rabies."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...es-keep-o.html

Some real credibility problems there.

Well that's a relief. Especially since my father's deceased.