Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: McPherson St.

Default McPherson St.

I have scoured the 1920 and 1930 census [[found some family members in the process) but didn't find my house. I know the house numbers in the city changed in the 20's but I was wondering if anyone had better resources. My house was built in 1917 and I was wondering if any of you had info that could tell me about the original occupants or any other occupants in time. The address is 2925 McPherson 48212. Thank you!

Also if anyone has information about this area north of Hamtramck, pictures, memories etc...I would love to hear them.

Before the address change, that block of McPherson had house numbers from 798 to 838.

In 1935 it was the residence of Mrs Mildred Shosh. No mention of husband so maybe a widower.

In 1940 it was the residence of:

Julius A. Cius, factoryworker, and wife Hazel
    Floyd A. Rizzotto, inspector, and wife Ida
    and at rear Mrs Milana Shosh, machine operator, and owner.

I don't know why the name change from Mildred to Milana between those years, but it looks like she was a widower and later moved to an apartment at the rear, and rented out the rest of the house to the other two families. I can't find any Shosh listed in a 1929 phone book, or after the war in a 1947 phone book.

That's all I got.
    Last edited by MikeM; January-02-10 at 12:28 AM.

Thank you so much! The old house numbers will help me too. Thanks for the names. It is absolutely amazing when I think of how small that house is that three separate families could have lived there. The PRD data says 533 sf on the main floor and it has a bungalow second floor and an unfinished basement! There is also no evidence of a former second bathroom...what living arrangements! Wow...thanks again!
    Last edited by Frumoasa; January-02-10 at 12:31 AM.