Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Good Night Gone Bad

I was visiting Detroit with several friends last night for NYE. We had reservations at the Holiday Inn Express on Washington Blvd and also tickets to the Red Wings game last night. We arrived at roughly 5:30 PM to check-in. I parked on a surface lot next to the hotel [[200 W. Lafayette) and looked for a parking attendant, but there was none. I checked both booths on the lot, and no one was present. My friends and I waited for about five or ten minutes in the lot hoping that someone would show, to no avail. I figured that I would just pay the following day....and boy did I ever. I walked out to the parking lot this morning as we were getting ready to leave, and my car was gone. Again, I approached the booths, and still no one was around. At this point I recognized a posted sign that stated that all unaccounted cars would be towed. It had been towed by Boulevard and Trumball [[B&T) Towing. After contacting them, they informed me that to get the car out, I had to pay $270!!!! For my hooptie, no less. I almost wish that it would have rather been stolen. I guess I should have done valet....Is there anything that I can pursuit here? B&T Towing would not release any contact information regarding the owner of the lot.

With a quick internet search, I just found a phone number that I can call regarding the lot.

Not to sound unsympathetic, but...I had a friend who parked his car on Lafayette last summer in a legitimate parking space just across from the Fort Shelby, and it was stolen before it was even dark.

It really IS worse to have your car stolen, than to have it towed. We prayed that it had been towed, but it wasn't...it was totally trashed when it was recovered a week later, and the car was of sentimental value to my friend. Insurance did not begin to pay for a replacement either, so financially he was hit much harder than $250.

Never park in an iffy space in any downtown. Valet it, get it in a parking garage. Your last resort should be street parking and an unattended lot? It's trouble, as you found out.

LodgeDodger Guest

Gaspar Fiore owns B and T Towing--lucky you.

[[313) 841-1700

Tough luck Knocturnal. I hope you get a break. The charge does seem excessive. I would guess they didn't tow it far.

Ditto on not getting your car stolen. It could be picked apart, ignition ripped out and more, then towed. You pay for the damage plus the towing and any storage. PIA either way. Better luck for the rest of the year.

Isn't 270.00 a tad excessive? I know tow companies are bastards, but even for them this sounds outta line. I know this will get some Bawwwww haaaaa's, but perhaps for what it's worth I'd contact the State's A.G. office to see if there is any complaint or some other recourse you can take.

A phone call is cheaper than throwing a brick though their office window ...

Another great reason why people love Detroit.
    For all the bashing the burbs get, free and safe parking is a big reason why they are so popular.
    I hate get jury duty downtown because you have to pay for parking. If you do anything in the city, you have to pay for parking or suffer the consequences.
    When you do park on the street, you need to interpret the signs correctly or a big fat ticket will greet you when you return to your vehicle.
    Can't find a cop in Detroit? Just park illegally. They'll be there faster than if you called 9-1-1.

Retroit Guest

It's comforting to know that historic buildings in Detroit are being leveled for parking lots that people are not allowed to park on.

If they don't want people parking there, they should put up a barricade.

Dumb.

Other major metro areas have expensive parking downtown. Try DC or Chicago or Philadelphia for instance. That level of service seems unique to Detroit though, leaving the attendant gate uninhabited for any length of time.

Chicago privatized metered parking recently. You wouldn't believe the prices, and theft and vandalism is a major problem there.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Other major metro areas have expensive parking downtown. Try DC or Chicago or Philadelphia for instance. That level of service seems unique to Detroit though, leaving the attendant gate uninhabited for any length of time.

The difference being those are vibrant cities...you would think that at some point Detroit would realize it aint a real city anymore and stop gouging the few that want to do their part.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Another great reason why people love Detroit.
    For all the bashing the burbs get, free and safe parking is a big reason why they are so popular.
    I hate get jury duty downtown because you have to pay for parking. If you do anything in the city, you have to pay for parking or suffer the consequences.
    When you do park on the street, you need to interpret the signs correctly or a big fat ticket will greet you when you return to your vehicle.
    Can't find a cop in Detroit? Just park illegally. They'll be there faster than if you called 9-1-1.
    How true it is.

Didn't go valet, waited 5 minutes for service, decided to park where he pleased.... and Detroit is to blame because he got towed.

If you parked on a private lot in Grosse Pointe, they wouldn't tow you and if they did they would return the car for free with their thanks for supporting local businesses.

Sorry, Knocturnal, your experience is not unique to Detroit. That’s the way private parking lots operate everywhere. Chalk it up to experience.

Toad Away by Firesign Theatre Click the purple arrow there to play.

Next time park at the Westin. You should have seen the tow sign prior to parking. I had a similar instance happen to me once. I figured that the business was closed and who would tow my car in Ypsi anyways???? Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Tell Gasper your're related to Monica Conyers