Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Shorpy does it again!

A wonderful 1913 look at old City Hall and surrounding area at http://www.shorpy.com/node/7399?size=_original

I wonder what the guy with the wheelbarrow by the streetcar tracks was fixin?

Well, those people just dont look like me so why should I care lol

I spied a couple of interesting things, many of the cars had the steering wheels on the right side and there are a couple of sightseeing "busses" parked on Woodward near Fort in front of City Hall.

Ray - spotted a couple of traffic cops with their white gloves ... by 1913 they'd dropped the Keystone Cop get-ups. Didn't see you though.

I think I was behind the desk that year. Bunions, y'know. But by 1914 I had hemorrhoids.

Only two towers from that era still remain.

And there was a question in the "Unbelievable that this is lost" thread:

Yes! There were still horses on the street.

I'm still a bit of a topographical analfabeth. [[Improving every day ) But where was Cityhall precisely? Is it on the footprint of Ernst & Young?

Wiki had this picture.

supersize.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-01-10 at 10:55 PM.

MichMatters Guest

Yes, the site went from City Hall, to Kennedy Square, to now One Kennedy Square.

Magnificent!!! Thanks for posting, Ray!!

I spy three buildings that still stand today....

Ford Building
    Original 1903 Penobscot Building
    Dime Bank Building

Does anyone remember what kennedy sq was called before it was kennedy sq? It must have been something between 1961 and 63.... or was it under construction?

Wasn't it called Cadillac Square?

Great photo. Did anyone notice the window cleaner on the building behind City Hall?

Is that a Whole Earth flag atop the Dime Building?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I wonder what the guy with the wheelbarrow by the streetcar tracks was fixin?
    Looks like a jumbled pile of bricks, then a neat stack of bricks. Perhaps they are replacing some of the broken bricks on the street [[at least between the rails). Also that track seems to just dead-end, yet I would expect there to be some type of bumper to stop the cars. Could this be a new track?

I find myself doing the same thing: wondering what people in the photo are doing and what the different objects are.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Does anyone remember what kennedy sq was called before it was kennedy sq? It must have been something between 1961 and 63.... or was it under construction?
    There was another name to be given to the park... can't remember it, but I believe it was sort of generic... then, Kennedy was shot shortly before the park was finished, and that was the catalyst for the new name.

Kennedy Square Park was one ugly expanse of cement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Magnificent!!! Thanks for posting, Ray!!

I spy three buildings that still stand today....

Ford Building
    Original 1903 Penobscot Building
    Dime Bank Building
    I think the original Penobscot was completed in 1909 [[as was the Ford).

Not long after I started working in the Penobscot Building in 1979, a letter from an elementary student hit my desk. He lived somewhere in northern Michigan and was studying skyscrapers so mailed a letter to the Penobscot Building and somehow it got into Gale Research and into my hands. I remember doing the research on the building and came up with 1903 for the original 13-story building, 1917 for the 22-story building, and 1928 for the 47-story tower. Those dates hold [[give or take a year or two) across the various websites that cover the buildings of Detroit, especially given dates of groundbreaking versus the actual opening date for the building. So I'll stick with the 1903 date on the original Penobscot Building.

When they demo'd the City Hall in 1960, I thought it was kind of a shame then, but the papers reported that the building was in poor shape structurally. Then as I watched the wrecking ball tear in to it, I was inclined to agree. The interior walls were all 2x6's, very dry and very easily shattered when that big steel ball hit them. The north and south wings came down first, leaving the central section with the tower for the last.

About every other swing of the ball on the upper floors resulted in long-misplaced stacks of paper flying into the air and breeze, and work halted while the artifacts were checked for any value. There must have been tons of paperwork stored on the top level.

There were four statues atop the center tower. They were carefully removed prior to demo. Anybody knows who they represented and where they may be today?

Great find Ray! When I see pictures like this of Detroit I wish I had a time machine to take me back to those times so I could have an awesome adventure. I picture myself in the midst of everything! Just daydreaming me!

P.S. Wonder if those cannons are still around?
    Last edited by eriedearie; January-02-10 at 03:57 PM. Reason: To add the P.S.

Ray, A few years ago the bell, cornerstone, and parts of the statues were found in the weeds behind one of the buildings at Fort Wayne. There was a big uproar over these historical pieces sitting in a heap but I never heard word on what was done with them. Possibly moved into storage at Fort Wayne. I recall the Historical Museum being contacted but their collection is massive and they have very little funding to move and store these pieces.

Eno - I searched and searched for your window washer and could not find him. Took a break and came back to the picture and he just about jumped out at me! You have REALLY good eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Great find Ray! When I see pictures like this of Detroit I wish I had a time machine to take me back to those times so I could have an awesome adventure. I picture myself in the midst of everything! Just daydreaming me!

P.S. Wonder if those cannons are still around?
    The cannon are at the Dossin Museum on Belle Isle.

Erie, ever since I saw the movie "Somewhere in Time" with that beautiful theme music, I've been trying to wish myself back to around that time. Hasn't worked so far. I keep finding a 1995 penny in my pocket. Let's see, I must have an old Indian head cent around here..........

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    There was another name to be given to the park... can't remember it, but I believe it was sort of generic... then, Kennedy was shot shortly before the park was finished, and that was the catalyst for the new name.

Wasn't it Cadillac Square before it was renamed?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post

http://www.hellodetroit.com/Images/B...uare1-1942.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    There were four statues atop the center tower. They were carefully removed prior to demo. Anybody knows who they represented and where they may be today?
    Ray, the four maidens are in pieces inside a storage building at Fort Wayne. The four statues of the luminaries in the niches of Old City Hall are outside at Wayne State in a park. There are still huge stones from Old City Hall in a grassy, wooded area outside at Ft. Wayne. I have photos of them on my Web site.
    I'd love to talk with you about the demo on Old City Hall for my Web site and book. Can I interview you over the phone or by e-mail? [[Bldgsofdetroit@gmail.com)

A look at Ray's dames: http://buildingsofdetroit.com/galler...locktower2.jpg
    I thought Industry was quite a hottie, myself.
    Last edited by buildingsofdetroit; January-02-10 at 08:26 PM.

That's 1942, so City Hall was still there. It didn't come down until 1961.

Picture of the cannons.

Bit rusty, but they're still around.

Remnants of city hall.

Tour into the woods, looking for the remains of city hall.

A miracle that this bell hasn't been discovered by scrappers. This should be returned to the city center! I know Detroit is cash strapped but how much would it cost just to save this piece of history? Hasn't the City Hall been raped enough? Vindicate that building and give this a place in the center. The mistake of tearing it down cannot be undone but at least, have a heart and rededicate this as a monument to things lost forever.

The old City Hall bell.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-02-10 at 09:56 PM.

Tragic. The statues were removed from the woods but I think this head is now in someone's garden.

More pictures.

More city hall.

Did they erase a couple of skyscrapers or is this a correct picture? [[Steampunk photoshop, Hahaha!!)

Great post, Whitehouse! Aw, gang, let's get that bell someplace safe!

[[I bow to the DetroitBlog guy once again regarding that link. The man is a writer.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast