Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Word Warriors: Contest

The Wayne State announced their 2010 list of little used, but perfectly functional, words. Their goal is to get them back into mainstream usage.

So here is the contest: who amoungst the brain trust can create a single sentence which uses all the words on the list? A large and handsome gift awaits ...

http://www.wordwarriors.wayne.edu/2010/
    Antediluvian
    Very old, old-fashioned, or out of date; antiquated; primitive. Literally "before the flood," referring by implication to the Biblical tale of Noah.
    Though antediluvian by today's standards, the buggy whip was once at the forefront of transportation technology.
    Bamboozle
    To cheat or steal.
    Stop trying to bamboozle me out of my money!
    Bloviate
    To speak at length in a pompous or boastful manner.
    I was totally put off by the winning coaches' tendency to bloviate ad nauseam.
    Charlatan [[shahr-luh-tn)
    Quack. Imposter.
    This guy claims his anti-aging cream really works, but I think he's just a charlatan.
    Concupiscence
    Sexual desire or longing. Lust.
    Too many political figures, drunk on power and the heady liquor of self-esteem, let concupiscence get the best of them.
    Festoon
    To adorn or decorate, principally in a loop between two points.
    After lunch we decided to festoon the tree with garlands of electric loons, moons, spoons, puccoons, cocoons, bassoons, baboons and vinegaroons.
    Galoshes [[gə-lŏsh')
    Waterproof shoes or boots. "Galoshes" may be said to be onomatopoeic, mimicking the sound they make when splashing through puddles.
    In rainy weather like this I always wear my galoshes; they may be garish, but they keep my feet dry.
    Indefatigable [[in-di-FAT-i-guh-bul)
    Tireless; endlessly persistent.
    The English privateer Francis Drake was indefatigable in his pursuit of Spanish gold.
    Insouciance [[ĭn-sôô'sç-əns)
    The quality of being carefree; a lack of concern.
    We spent our two weeks at the beach in blissful insouciance, sleeping late and basking in the sun.
    Mendacity
    Untruthfulness. Lying.
    Mendacity is a system that we live in. Liquor is one way out and death's the other. [[Tennessee Williams, American playwright, 1911-1983)
    Mercurial [[mer-kyoor-ee-uhl)
    Fickle; erratic.
    She said she needed a break from trying to anticipate my mercurial moods. I haven't seen her in five years.
    Numinous
    Awe-inspiring; profoundly moving; evocative of transcendence. [[Despite what Webster's Dictionary says, it never presumes the supernatural.)
    As the full moon rose in numinous splendor over Mount Kilimanjaro, Ernie was stricken speechless with wonder and joy.
    Quixotic [[kwik-sot-ik)
    Excessively romantic; visionary but unrealistic. Like Cervantes' Don Quixote.
    Many cherished ideals of the 1960s now seem more quixotic than even remotely practical.
    Scuttle [[verb)
    A versatile verb meaning to sink a ship or boat deliberately; to sink figuratively, as to scuttle a project; or to scurry.
    In 1939, the Germans scuttled the pocket battleship "Graf Spee" to keep the British from capturing her. ... OR ... When we turned on the light, mice scuttled under the furniture.
    Unctuous
    Oily or greasy; unpleasantly polite and insincerely earnest.
    The mediator was so unctuous that both sides found him impossible to work with.

Oh, this ought to be fun.

If anyone who enjoys this kind of thing doesn't already have a copy of Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words, they should pick up a copy.
    logolept [[lŏg'ō-lĕpt) n. a word maniac.

This thread reminded me of this MADtv sketch about 4 minutes in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8hYnSBvvWM

Words generally no longer in use by the US population:
    Savings
    Abstain
    Patience
    Ragtime
    Soccer
    Detroit
    Cyberspace
    E.R.
    Books
    Love

I try to use obfuscate once a week just for the exercise.

Mrs. Gnome sez I should put one out there to get the ball rolling. To that end, here is my unworthy submission:

In a pique of insouciant concupiscence and quixotic longing I donned a pair antediluvian galoshes, festooned in fur, and scuttled through the wintery slush to be near the object of my indefatigable affections only to learn I had been bamboozled by a charlatan in love, a femfatale so unctuous in her mewings, so mecurial in her mendatious missives that any hope of kneeling at her gate of numinous wonders was spoiled when her husband answered the door.

Couldn't fit bloviate into that bloviated bit of purple prosing.

Words from the list: Antediluvian, Bamboozle ,Bloviate, Charlatan , Concupiscence, Festoon Galoshes, Indefatigable, Insouciance, Mendacity, Mercurial, Numinous, Quixotic, Scuttle, Unctuous

I think most of the words on the list [[except numinous and concupisence) could be used to accurately describe the personalities and antics of several of our recent City Council members; but I don't have the time today to come up with a sentence that will pass muster with our resident grammarians.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Couldn't fit bloviate into that bloviated bit of purple prosing.
    Once again, we heard gnome bloviate as he recited his story, "In a pique of insouciant concupiscence and quixotic longing I donned a pair antediluvian galoshes, festooned in fur, and scuttled through the wintery slush to be near the object of my indefatigable affections only to learn I had been bamboozled by a charlatan in love, a femfatale so unctuous in her mewings, so mecurial in her mendatious missives that any hope of kneeling at her gate of numinous wonders was spoiled when her husband answered the door."