Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 35th Annual Banned Words List

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091231/...us_bannedwords

"Purging our language of 'toxic assets' is a 'stimulus' effort that's 'too big to fail,'" said a university spokesman.

They need to add "terrorist" to that list of words people are sick of. Nothing but a buzz word used by those with an agenda to demonize a group or an individual effort. Like someone is born to terrorize? A race of people and their main thrust is to terrorize? Oh someone doesn't like being marched out of their house, or bombed for no reason, or their country occupied by foreign forces, or having their homes stolen, they must be a terrorist, or terrorists. Just a boilerplate label for anyone that does not agree. Some say we should label US citizens and members of our own armed forces "terrorists".

Yes do away with "terrorist". And add insurgent, infatada, incursion, Jihad, and all other default excusable one-word labels for inhumanity.

The only terror I see is these folks destroying our country, and we're paying them to do it. Our politicians.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; December-31-09 at 03:22 PM.

Retroit Guest

"Terrorist" should be replaced with "murderer". Murder is a worse act than terror.

Here are some words I'd like to see banned on DetroitYES!:
    • sustainability
    • light rail
    • Vote YES or Vote NO
    • basic white people
    • amerikkka
    • rethuglican

Here are some words I'd like to see banned on DetroitYES!:
    My vote goes to -"density".

How come we had to start using Beijing many years ago [[instead of Peking) and now Mombai [[instead of Bombay)??

We're still not using Roma [[Rome), Köln [[Cologne), München [[Munich), Wien [[Vienna), Mockba [[Moscow) and [[my favorite...) s'Gravenhaag [[The Hague)??

Even NBC got on the bandwagon with Torino [[instead of Turin) during the last Winter Olympics!

And don't even get me started on replacing Anno Domini with "CE", et al....

Inquiring minds want to know!
    Last edited by Gistok; December-31-09 at 10:42 PM.

Get rid of these:

Libs
    Cons/Neocons
    Right
    Left
    Democratic
    Republican
    Beck
    Limbaugh
    Coulter
    Maddow
    Palin
    Olbermann
    Real Detroiter
    Suburbanite
    Fabulous Ruins

I would like to hear fewer "likes'. Like, when the speaker, like, cannot speak for thirty seconds without uttering "like".

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I would like to hear fewer "likes'. Like, when the speaker, like, cannot speak for thirty seconds without uttering "like".
    Or how about the favorite word of people who can't bear to let a second pass without gracing us with the sound of their voice: "Uh"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThEAO0lt4Dw
    Last edited by Retroit; January-01-10 at 01:10 PM.

lefty Guest

I would like to get rid of people who like want to force others to a certain vocabulary and tell them what they can or cannot say. Like fascist dictators who will imprison or kill those who disagree with their views.

Quote: "I would like to get rid of people"

This thread is about "words" not reasons to start another holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "I would like to get rid of people"

This thread is about "words" not reasons to start another holocaust.
    I think he would like to get rid of all prescriptive words and the dictionary and just go 1984 Newspeak that "...provide[s] a means of speaking that required no thought what-so-ever."