Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why I Am Excited To Come Back To Detroit

I started a new thread, because this was not a direct reply to the similarly titled thread down the board.

Detroit has problems. Economy, schools, crime, government, physical infrastructure. Any one of us could go on all day on any sub-category of Detroit's woes. Despite them, I see a few things in the city that make me almost giddy with anticipation of moving back from New York.

Perhaps because I have lived away for a long time, I have a different perspective than someone who is there all the time. I just can't seem to get too jaded about Detroit.

There are tangible assets in Detroit [[museums, sports teams, the waterfront, amazing architecture in all states of being). But there are intangible things as well, and they are infinitely more important.

There is a sense of "Detroitness" that does not have a counterpart in other places I've lived or spent time in [[NY, DC, Chicago, Boston, upstate New York). People have a common heritage that links them to their parents and grandparents, and the things that their neighborhood is now and once was. This sense of attachment causes all of us to have our emotional responses to problems in Detroit, and ecstatic joy at the happy things. When the Yankees won the series this year, it was only of major interest here to the die-hard Yankees fans. Most people- literally more than half- really don't care. Someone is killed in a drive-by in East New York? There are no tears or outrage beyond the immediate friends and neighbors. Detroit's teams spark pride and shame in full measure, and it is borne of love. When the DIA has to cut staff, people are worried as if for members of their family. The Met in NY makes cuts, almost no one is aware, except maybe the city councilman representing the Upper East Side.

The sense of Detroit being more than a city [[and I am not referring to Detroit as the literal city, but a community extending throughout SE Michigan), is real. Day trips to Frankenmuth, going to summer camp up in the thumb, cultural festivals in Hart Plaza, Red Wings tickets for $10 [[including a slice of pizza and a pop) when they were terrible in the 80s. These are ingrained in my mind surely more than anything I've seen in NY [[except 9/11). New York may be where I've been but it's not where I'm at.

When I run into Michiganders here [[or other cities), we instantly bond about Big Ten Football, loving or hating Bill Bonds- most people love AND hate him, I've gathered- fall foliage, our closed parish church, Sanders hot fudge, how much we love the new airport, etc.

People make up the city. What Detroit lacks in money it makes up for in spirit. I wish everyone could see it. European cities were largely rubble after WW2. Far worse than Detroit on its worst day. Yet many came back, thrived, and lived to write a new chapter in their history. Detroit can do that, too. It will not be done by a politician [[politicians can make things worse, but people need to get jobs, maintain their homes, make their kids go to school, etc). I am optimistic that 5 million people in SE Michigan can find 5 million new little stories to add to the one that's been going on here since 1700. Our kids will ask what Tiger Stadium was like. How it felt when the whole state rooted for the Spartans in 2009 [[which melted away my years of Wolverine-loathing almost overnight).

Why am I excited to get back to Detroit? Because I want to be a part of the next chapter in our history. As a small businessman, God-willing. As a homeowner. As a church-goer. As a Tiger fan. As a Spartan. As a Vernors drinker. As a bad bowler. As a whatever else I am today and will be until I die. As a Detroiter.

See you all in 6 months.

See you all in 6 months.
    Welcome back Mikey.

Welcome home Mikey. You are somewhat following in the steps of a large Bengali internal emigration. They left the high prices of Brooklyn to settle the east side of Hamtramck where they could own their own houses and businesses.

I'm going out on a limb here and am going to say the next chapter jwill be must like the last chapter. Sorry but until Detroit and the residents support [[or can support) the city it will continue to fester.

Detroit could be a decent smaller city but the majority of it would have to be levelled and everyone start from scratch.

Buy American Guest

"Perhaps because I have lived away for a long time, I have a different perspective than someone who is there all the time. I just can't seem to get too jaded about Detroit."

That says it all Mikey. You are looking at Detroit through rose colored glasses...you are remembering a City that once was and you are hoping that it is still the same. Unfortunately, it's not. Be careful where you set up your new business, be careful when moving to a neighborhood, be careful where you worship. Otherwise, good luck. Please post in one year how things have turned out.

"You are looking at Detroit through rose colored glasses."

Perhaps. But at least I'm looking! I think so many people are just content to say everything sucks [[this is not an accusation against you, Buy American, you seem rational and not full of hate), and they use that as excuse to never do anything in their own lives. My life is my responsibility, and if I succeed or fail in business or anything else it will be my own doing. If my restaurant flops, it will be my fault, not the city's. I should also note that neither my life nor the city will be over in a year. Building a life is not an event, but a series of smaller things. I do plan to post from time to time [[ I doubt I will ever be a daily poster). And by the way, there will be a free round of drinks at the opening of my restaurant for DYers.

Best Luck, Mikey.

A artist friend of mine here in S.F. moved back to Detroit in 2001 [[4th St in the New Center area to be exact) for it's cheap rent and small yet thriving artist community. He moved back here last year because as he said he couldn't find a decent job. When I told him I often think about moving back myself, even after close to 20 years away, he says I am nuts, that the city and the area is even more dysfunctional then when I left. In particular he can't understand it because I have a successful business and great community of friends and colleagues here. I think it's a bit of survivor guilt a trait common in a lot of us members of the Detroit Diaspora.

But when I do allow myself to contemplate moving back there the problem I have is coming up with a business plan that brings money into the city instead of just living off a those that still have some cash. Current I run a landscaping business which is great in a area that is producing products [[software, biomedical, etc.) that the rest of the world wants to buy. But with the decline of the auto industry and no global or even nationally marketable product apparently in the foreseeable future what would pay for the extra services?

But once again Good Luck and Happy New Year, Mikey!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitus View Post
    I think it's a bit of survivor guilt a trait common in a lot of us members of the Detroit Diaspora.
    Do you really believe that? Guilt for what ? Not succumbing to the predators of society or for not lowering ourselves to teh criminal element?

Me? I'm down right pissed off because the low lifes are winning and not too many people give a fuck.

I do really believe iteven though I know it's illogical. If you meet an ex-detroiter anywhere often one of the first things out of their mouths id 'I'd move back there but....). I thinks it similar to members of a dysfunctional family, who may bitch and complain, but usually are extremely loyal and even proud. Sometimes I think the whole city and area, and even us who moved away should go in for group therapy.

Retroit Guest

I was eager to move back to Detroit after living briefly in New York. I understand the "guilt" thing. It was like: New York will go on without me, but Detroit NEEDS me. Kind of like taking care of an ill elderly relative. There is really nothing in it for you, but you feel that you may be able to ease their misery.

Detroit has so much potential. New York seems like a complete city, but Detroit is like a blank canvas upon which so many promising dreams are waiting to be fulfilled.

Mikey,

I can relate to you 100%. I left Detroit several years ago as well. I really, really miss Detroit, the teams, outdoor life, the people and more. I've been debating on a return for several years now and all I hear from people IN MICHIGAN is "why would you want to move back to Detroit?"

You're absolutely right when you explained about the Yankees winning the World Series. Quite frankly, how can I be excited about a team that I really don't care about? And it's like this with just about everything else that goes on in a city that isn't mine. Another thing is, it's not how big a city is but how great a city is.

I say go back to Detroit and give it a try. I'll hopefully join you one day. And if things don't work out or you discover that Detroit isn't for you, you can always move back to NYC or anyplace else. Bottom line is we'll always be Detroiters at heart. Just like most people that move away and no matter where we go, we'll always see Michigan transplants who have started Michigan themed businesses to remind us and others of home

Also, better technology [[internet, dish network etc...) is making it easier to stay close.

Don't confuse home to the city itself. Big difference. Most people I know are glad they got away but still miss home; that is, friends who may still live in the region or family that might. But miss the BS that is Detroit on most given days? Not too many unless you are a masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Don't confuse home to the city itself. Big difference. Most people I know are glad they got away but still miss home; that is, friends who may still live in the region or family that might. But miss the BS that is Detroit on most given days? Not too many unless you are a masochist.

I sometimes wonder why GOAT has even posted this long......

I've said it before, I do hope Detroit comes back and 10 years from now I will see a city almost unrecognizable [[from new development or renewal) but I had to go.

The only reason I would come back now is to drive 696 at 80mph in the middle lane or catch a street race along I-94 or I-75.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Why is everything you post negative and meant to discourage and demolish? You're utterly destructive. If Detroit is not your thing; cool. But, please don't try to discourage those looking to be part of the solution instead of being part of the problem. I honestly don't get why you post, here. No one is asking anyone to speak only kindly of Detroit, but your entire purpose here seems to be to destroy and lay waste to the encouraged, hopeful, and constructive. Let's be clear, you're not playing the so-called "devil's advocate", here, you're playing the staring role: the devil himself.

He's excited to come back to Detroit, and moreover, having lived here beforehand, with an understanding of how difficult it is to live in the metro as a whole, these days. So, what's it to you if he's excited, that is outside of looking to malign and discourage his excitement? Go away...please.
    Last edited by MichMatters; January-01-10 at 03:02 AM.

^^^ EXCELLENT^^^

Thank you -- it needed to be said. The negativity is EXHAUSTING.

And, oh, so exhaustingly prevalent, on the drive home from work, every single fucking day.