Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default A trip into the city today

So today I took a friend of mine and her French boyfriend into the city. I went through Palmer Woods and BE, drove down Woodward as I talked about the city and the region. Had lunch, did the DIA [[which was the alternative to the overprice Mummy exhibit at the Science Center). We go into Windsor to have a beer and see the skyline, this is already night now. Truthfully, I showed him basically the Potemkin village of the city. it would take days to show him everything. Yada, yada, yada we're coming home [[it wasn't bad coming back into the country at all! Had a decent border guard for once!) and I had forgotten to show him Michigan Central Depot. Zoom over there and he snaps two awsomely ghostly shots of the place. He was absolutely shocked that somebody would let that be abandoned. He understand why it was, the decline of the train in America, but just could not believe it. He then proceded to tell me that someday SOON it will be used again [[for the purpose it was built). Perhaps during the day I will show him what real decay it is in [[that is in no way alluding to me going in there, I'm not that kind of stupid suburbanite). But it really struck me that someone, from the outside, has such faith in building. First time I got to show off the city to someone, and it was pleasant, not that I really wanted to show him Brightmoor or anything.

....well technically yesterday.

For many many years my husband was involved in international marketing. We hosted many guests from other countries. It was always a little embarassing to try to explain our slums. Other countries value property unlike here.

A few memories stick out more than others. Took a German couple to Belle Isle during the late spring. Black teens take over the island prior to graduation. The log jam of traffic scared them a bit. We dined at the Yaught [[sp) Club and got kicked out because they had an enfant child who still breast fed. Personally, I thought the Mom was classey, the babe and Mom were very discreet but other patrons were offended. Never been back.

Asians in particular are astounded at the open spaces we enjoy. We are so lucky and don't even know it

That is indeed interesting that someone not from the area has so much faith in MCS. I love giving tours to out of towners and do it rather often.

MichMatters Guest

Whenever our family reunions come to Detroit, they are almost always hosted on Belle Isle. The out-of-towners that have never been are always surprised by the size of the park and its location.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Black teens take over the island prior to graduation. The log jam of traffic scared them a bit.
    Not that this is a huge thing, but in a city 80%+ black and a student population even more homogenuous, isn't remarking on the race of the teens rather redundant? What other ethnicity would they likely be on average on any given day in a city with these kind of demographics?

I think Belle Isle ranks high among Detroit's unsung jewels. It was the last and most ambitious project of the landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, the designer of Central Park, the Exposition area in Chicago, and Montreal's Mount Royal landscaping. Without a really huge investment it could become a world-class attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    ....well technically yesterday.
    Well, technically last year.

Nice job, dtowncitylover!! Sounds like a good time and great day in the D!!

Thanks, Kathleen!

I really wonder if any building in Europe has been in as much decay or greater than MCS and been fully rehabed. Maybe that's why he had faith. I see them one last time before they leave Sunday for France, I'll ask him.

After living away from that area for some time, I've noticed that it takes a true Metro Detroiter to not appreciate the tremendous value in the MCS... Even as a train station.

Hard not to be sarcastic here, but really the question almost begs it!
    WWII leveled many European/Asian citys and many were rebuild brick by brick. Many by the owners themselves, just as they were block after block or new architecture replaced the old...................Detroit do to reasons beyond this discussion cannot perform or even maintain what it does have. Do not hold your breathe expecting this to change soon or even in your lifetime.

It is time that the world knows that a billionaire owns this train station. When news crews or reporters show this station to represent the decay in Detroit, they never mention that it is owned by a billionaire, Matty Maroun. It is assumed that the City of Detroit owns it and that it is the city that's allowing it to sit looking like it does. The city, if it did own it, probably would tear it down one day, but not anytime soon. Yet the billionaire could restore it but doesn't, why? And why doesn't the city fine Maroun up the wazoo for not maintaining his property? Could it be because Kwame and his mom Caroline got hefty campaign contributions from him? Is Mayor Bing beholden to Maroun as well? These are the questions that need to be explored and answered by those doing a story on MCS, instead of taking a picture of it and telling the world the same old story about Detroit's decay.

Royce: That's exactly right! And when I hear about some people trying to raise money to save the place, I have to wonder "Have they forgotten who owns it?" The local and national media should be all over this story, but everyone seems to conveniently overlook it.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    It is time that the world knows that a billionaire owns this train station. When news crews or reporters show this station to represent the decay in Detroit, they never mention that it is owned by a billionaire, Matty Maroun. It is assumed that the City of Detroit owns it and that it is the city that's allowing it to sit looking like it does. The city, if it did own it, probably would tear it down one day, but not anytime soon. Yet the billionaire could restore it but doesn't, why? And why doesn't the city fine Maroun up the wazoo for not maintaining his property? Could it be because Kwame and his mom Caroline got hefty campaign contributions from him? Is Mayor Bing beholden to Maroun as well? These are the questions that need to be explored and answered by those doing a story on MCS, instead of taking a picture of it and telling the world the same old story about Detroit's decay.
    Royce you do make excellent points, but it wasn't something that came to mind.

I get to do this all again tomorrow, actually. I'm taking another friend of mine and a French exchange student. We all go to OU and we have an exchange thing with Universite d'Orleans.

Retroit Guest

I think you should take them through more representative areas of Detroit. They can see mansions, museums, and skylines anywhere, but where else but Detroit can a person experience the destruction and desolation that you can find in Detroit. After touring Palmer Woods, take them to the other side of Woodward.

I, personally, would feel gypped not to see the good and bad of a city. If I was only shown the good side, I probably would think that MCS could be used again SOON. After all, if everyone in Detroit lives in Palmer Woods, B-E type neighborhoods, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I think you should take them through more representative areas of Detroit. They can see mansions, museums, and skylines anywhere, but where else but Detroit can a person experience the destruction and desolation that you can find in Detroit. After touring Palmer Woods, take them to the other side of Woodward.

I, personally, would feel gypped not to see the good and bad of a city. If I was only shown the good side, I probably would think that MCS could be used again SOON. After all, if everyone in Detroit lives in Palmer Woods, B-E type neighborhoods, what's the problem?
    So when you visit friends in other cities they take you to see the slums? When you travel to other coutries do you seek out the bad neighborhoods.

I've seen a significant part of this country and many other countries. Interestingly enough people I visit elsewhere never take me to see the worst neighborhoods.

Retroit Guest

Yes, in fact, I do. I find them to be just as interesting as the "best" neighborhoods.

[[Were those rhetorical questions?)
    Last edited by Retroit; January-02-10 at 03:19 PM.

I agree with jt1. Most people do not want or need to see the seedier side of a city when visiting it. I know that when we've wandered into the south side of Chicago or East St. Louis or similar parts of a city we've visited, especially when you know that you're just following the map from point A to point B, we've been very wary of our surroundings and moved on as quickly as possible. Unless you know the area very well and/or have a specific site to visit, there's no need to linger.

That's not to say that when taking visitors around the city that you need to avoid all the unsightly places, but unless they have a specific interest in the ruins, it's rather a waste of time when you have only a limited time to see the sites and the clock is ticking away!

....and I agree with Kathleen. Last year I flew to Chicago Midway and rented a car to drive to Traverse City [[too darn expensive flying into TVC!!!). Got a little lost in Chitown looking for I-94, and drove through some seedy areas. Concentrated mightily on finding the freeway, which I eventually did. Wish someone told me that 55th Street had two names. For some reason, it's also called Garfield. Sheesh.

I agree with Ray and Kathleen. As Kathleen is well aware, I have been interested in some of Detroit's ruins, and have thus spent time in some areas one might not typically show a tourist.

At the same time, I recognize that I am not a typical visitor, and that most tourists would have no desire to see the city's seedier side. I think that this is even more true for someone unfamiliar with an area, as unfamiliarity makes it more difficult to stay out of inadvertent problems. For example, if one is not familiar with a given area, one may not know that a given corner is an active and potentially dangerous drug market.

All in all, I do not think it is a problem to show tourists only Detroit's best side. While I think it is unfortunate that many people do not understand Detroit's problems, I also think it is unrealistic to expect all tourists to want to see the city's worst side. After all, in other cities, tourists typically stick to the best areas, so I do not see why Detroit would be any different.

I had, as Willy Wonka puts it, so much to do and so little time. The first one I did, he had already been to Detroit and knew some of it. But we just had other plans, like the DIA and Windsor. So tomorrow, I'll be sure to take these people all around. I know Detroit well and thank you for all the suggestions.

dtown, you did the right thing, it's hard to show all of detroit when you just have a bit of time. I am sure driving between BE and Palmer Woods along Woodward, your guests got a good idea of the range of differing conditions in Detroit. I give Detroit tours all the time, and never do I get to show everyone everything I wanted to. Do your best to enjoy the day and show as much as possible. Your guests will connect the dots.

Today, while colder, was better. After showing them Palmer Woods, I went down Florence St. in Highland Park, my grandma's old street where she grew up and a trip down Hamilton Ave. Depressing, but it does need to be shown, showed BE and the New Center. We walked around downtown. I forgot about the Lions game and was wondering why there was little on-street parking, but glad we only paid $5. Tried to ride the PM, but it was closed; it said noon-midnight for Sunday and it was after noon, so I don't why it was closed. I walked and talked about the city. Then rested at the RenCen for a minute, then I got the car cause it was just too cold. I drove around Belle Isle, showed Indian Village and her contrasting environs, went over to Mexicantown and MCS, then was reminded of the Heidelberg Project and went back to the east side...reluctantly. After that, I had had enough. We ended up eating for a quick bite, it was 3 by now at Leo's Coney Island [[I know, not American or Lafayette!!) and the French xchange student had her first coney. I have one more to go with the other French xchange student, but he is coming tonight, so that'll be a different day.