Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

littlebuddy Guest

Default Ask the Professor Radio show

Is it still on, I used to listen years ago. Wasn't it out of Wayne St. It seemed it was on early Sunday mornings.

[quote=littlebuddy;105335]Is it still on, I used to listen years ago. Wasn't it out of Wayne St. It seemed it was on early Sunday mornings.[/quote
    It was out of the University of Detroit. Years ago Ed DeWitt [[not 100% sure) was the moderator. If I recall correctly, the loser would receive a signed 8X10 glossy photo of the panel. The winner would receive book gift certificates....an enjoyable and intriguing show to listen to......a Detroit treasure.......
    http://www.udmercy.edu/atp/
    Last edited by kellyroad; December-30-09 at 11:35 PM.

I LOVED Ask the Professor. Hilarious stuff. I once had the opportunity to meet U of D Professor Pickering who was on that show for many years. I was in awe. I told him honestly that he was one of my heroes. I think that show was largely responsible for the years this east side city kid spent in academia.

The time-honored "Ask the Professor" quiz show has originated from the University of Detroit Mercy and its predecessor U of D for a very many years. It was on broadcast radio until a few years ago and is now available on line, at http://www.udmercy.edu/atp/ in streaming audio.

Your kindly old prof had occasion to be one of the panelists on two shows in 2007 or 2008, he can't remember which. Thanks for bringing this up, and especially thanks for mentioning the late, great George Pickering, a very frequent panelist during the years when the baritone voice of Ed DeWindt brought the show to you each week.

If you have never heard this, go to the site and listen - it is in no way a serious show - you can learn something from it, but only by accident, and preferably after having a beer or two.

LOVED this show! Wasn't aware that you can stream it [[I guess I should have figured it out, though). Will definitely have to listen. I always used to think that the panel appeared to get along really well, and that going out to dinner/drinks with them would be great fun.

I still remember when this show was distributed years ago to radio stations across the country as community service radio until the FCC came down on them saying it wasn't "community based" enough or some other bureaucratic malarky.

I got hooked on this show ages ago hearing the likes of Edwin DeWindt trying to moderate the likes of George Pickering, Sarah Gravelle, Kathy Bush, Dan Maggio, Greg Sumner, Arthur Beer, Wallace Peace, Clair Crabtree, Hugh Kulik, and a litany of other UDM folks. That must've been like herding cats! Episodes from Tom's Tavern were infamous. I loved how informative and entertaining the shows were.

I remember "discovering" the show because it came on immediately after the Dr. Ruth show on WNIC- another, shall we say "informative" show back in the day. They've bounced all over the local radio dial which made following them darn near impossible and ended up at WCSX up until a few years back. Fortunately they're being podcasted now and I can snag all of the episodes now.

I've listened to this latest season and have noticed that Kathy Bush is out temporarily and Edwin DeWindt has been back substituting. Still rip snorting funny, hilarious and informative.

Ask The Professor invokes pleasant memories. One of the panelists was Professor William Kelly Joyce of the U of D Law School who taught us Contracts. He was a much loved and respected teacher. Great sense of humor, too.

The funniest thing about the Tom's Tavern episodes is that the electrical installation there [[such as it is) wasn't really designed to handle electronic equipment. It took a long time to get those shows recorded - and of course, during all the time Paul Murray was fussing with the equipment trying to get it to work despite the awful power supply in the bar, everybody else was busily taking advantage of the fact that we were in a bar

I was just wondering if there are any DYes folks out there that have actually won an autographed photograph/ photographed autograph from the show. I'd love to see what that prize looked like. I'd assume it was some offbeat 8" x 10" black & white photo of the Professors.

Anyone??

I got one of those pix for asking a question of the professors. As I recall, the photo showed them with their backs turned to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    I got one of those pix for asking a question of the professors. As I recall, the photo showed them with their backs turned to the camera.
    WOW! Wouldja mind posting it here? I think for those of us who are ATP fans, it'd be interesting to see what the panel actually looks like.

I can't remember but was this pic for stumping them or not stumping them?

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    WOW! Wouldja mind posting it here? I think for those of us who are ATP fans, it'd be interesting to see what the panel actually looks like.

I can't remember but was this pic for stumping them or not stumping them?
    I did not stump them. Maybe that's why I only got a pic of their backs.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    I did not stump them. Maybe that's why I only got a pic of their backs.
    It makes me wonder what you would've gotten if you stumped them.

Any chance of posting that pic at all?

I don't remember which was which, but you got a prize whether you stumped them or not. One of the prizes [[I think you got this if you stumped them) was an autographed photograph, and the other was a photographed autograph.

If that's hazy, I'll explain better. The winning prize was a picture of the professors [[usually some oddball pose), which each professor signed. The consolation prize was that the profs would sign a blank piece of paper, and you would get a photograph of the signed piece of paper.

Default Prof. Fred Hayes

I rediscovered ATP two weeks ago thanks to iTunes. Love the show, but had lost touch with it for years, as I am not often up at 4:45am Sunday to listen live.

Sad to see that it is only broadcast on 4 stations at present, and the two Detroit stations that carry it have it on basically at the same early morning Sunday time.

More sad to learn on this forum that my favorite Prof., George Pickering has passed away.

Way back one of the first ATP Profs was Fred "Freddy" Hayes, who lived down the street from me. I was told that he was a great wit on the show, but he exhibited none of that in the neighborhood. He did flunk my uncle at U of D, so I admire him for that.

I am enjoying Ed DeWint as substitute host now, as he was the regular host when I listened years ago.

Thanks to iTunes and my iPod for allowing me to enjoy this show any time I want, and to sleep in on Sundays.

I am sorry to say that Kathy Bush passed away on Wednesday. I don't know the circumstances -- my mom read about it and called to tell me.

She worked in the Admissions department of U-D when I attended, and gave me my first campus tour. She had a beautiful, sweet spirit and probably was loved by everyone that knew her.

Here is the obituary from Sajewski funeral home:
    Beloved Daughter of the late James Bush. Survived by Elizabeth [[Donlevy) Bush. Sister of the late James[[Michelle, Marlene, Kevin,Kelly). Terry[[Debbie), Amy [[Chris Garcia), Sammantha, Timothy, Terece[[Brent Teddy) and Children. Anne [[Thomas), Maria and Thomas[[Meghan Scileppi). Mary Ellen[[Tom), Catherine Kaminski, Michael[[Christina Whelan), and children. Bridget [[Andrew Graham), Erin Whelan. Dearest Friends of Kennedy, Trombley, Family Donlevy of Canada. Special friend of Kenneth Cotter, Beth Oljar, Edwin [[Anne Dewindt), Daniel Maggio and beloved friends and students of UDM. Visitation Saturday at St. Suzanne 9:30a.m. Mass 10:00a.m. Burial St. Felix R.C. Cemetery ,Pinnebog, MI. Rosary Friday 7:00p.m. Visitation Thursday 4-9p.m. and Friday 12-9p.m. at the Sajewski Funeral Home 19111 W. Warren Memorials may be made to SVDP Society or UDM CLAE.
    http://www.sajewskifh.com/index.cfm

'Twas a wonderful service. Although it was warm as I'd ever like it to get inside of a nicely appointed Catholic church, the ceremony was solemn, sincere, and wonderful. It truly was a celebration of her life.

Kathy will be missed by all those of us that knew her in some capacity.