Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where is the Proof?

There is tons of idle chatter on the net, but they all share one common trait, they lack proof. To all neo-cons who keep screaming that Pres. Obama is going to take away your guns, I ask, where is your proof?

More than likely, these are the same fools who blindly supported Bush when he was invading our privacy, yet now they have gotten their panties in a bunch with wild [[non-supported)accusations about guns.

Relax folks, guns will never be outlawed in this country for 2 reasons:
    1. there are far too many to ever be able to collect.
    2. the NRA is a very powerful lobby who will never go away because they are well funded and they fund many powerful politicians who would never vote to destroy their key contributors.

ccbatson Guest

He [[Obama), or anyone else, for that matter, should not be faulted for being anti gun. However, no practical and constructive solution is possible.

Obama lead the charge against the Republicans when THEY wanted to seize all the guns in N.O. after Katrina

Default Assault weapon ban

The president has said he want the assault weapon ban to be permanent.....here is the US government’s definition of an assault weapon is:
    Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    ·Folding or telescoping stock
    ·Pistol grip
    ·Bayonet mount
    ·Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    ·Grenade launcher [[more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)
    Now just in case you are not familiar with these weapons, the manufactures have side stepped the law by making these guns without the two additional things it takes to qualify as an assault weapon, making the law a joke.
    So do not worry about them taking your guns.....the congress does things to make it look like it is doing something, but in reality it’s all smoke and mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    The president has said he want the assault weapon ban to be permanent.....here is the US government’s definition of an assault weapon is:
    Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    ·Folding or telescoping stock
    ·Pistol grip
    ·Bayonet mount
    ·Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    ·Grenade launcher [[more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)
    Now just in case you are not familiar with these weapons, the manufactures have side stepped the law by making these guns without the two additional things it takes to qualify as an assault weapon, making the law a joke.
    So do not worry about them taking your guns.....the congress does things to make it look like it is doing something, but in reality it’s all smoke and mirrors.
    From my cold dead hands!!! I need a grenade launcher to protect what's mine! And a bayonet in case they get too close for the grenade launcher! I'm at war with my surroundings, mother fucker!

I don’t get it. Where was everyone’s outrage when President Bush took away your constitutional right to assemble, to due process, to habeas corpus, and privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    He [[Obama), or anyone else, for that matter, should not be faulted for being anti gun. However, no practical and constructive solution is possible.
    this is an idiosyncratic problem to the USA, due in large part to circular logic such as this.

It's more a matter of tightening the screws everywhere possible rather than outlawing all guns. Limiting types of guns has already been mentioned. In the last week, I've heard stories about Nancy Pelosi wanting all guns to be registered and NY City's mayor running TV ads in Virginia encouraging the end of gun shows. Two weeks ago, I came across a story about a new federal edict that will no longer allow the DOD to sell its spent bullets casing to manufactures that reload them. Instead,the brass will be sold to China as scrap for less money. Go figure. This makes bullets more expensive here, taxpayers lose out, but China benefits.

Also, there is a movement afoot in many states to require that all bullets have bar codes on them so they can be traced to their owners. This proposal, if enacted, would also greatly increase the cost of bullets.

Those are just the things I have come across in the last couple of weeks. I am not surprised that some people would respond buy stocking up before some of these go ito effect.

Disclamer: I am not a gun buff. I do not hunt. I do own a .22 that I have killed a total of two animals with - what I thought might be a rabid skunk and a 52" timber rattler that got too close to the yard where my kids played at the time. It tasted like the toughest chicken I've ever had. 2.5 quarts of meat came off of that snake. Why waste it?

Quote Originally Posted by Speramus Meliora View Post
    You have GOT to be kidding me. You would be against something that would help the police track down murderers because it might increase the cost of bullets? What effect would increasing the cost of bullets possibly have on the US economy?

Beer cans have bar codes. How much exactly would it cost to barcode a bullet? Has anyone looked into it, or is the "great increase" just a knee-jerk reaction based on nothing?
    Not the same thing in the least. The proposals to number ammunition cases would involve the government [[And retail stores) tracking every purchase of ammunition and keeping records of who buys what and how much. It would force most stores to stop carrying ammo due to the paperwork and hassle involved. And it would undoubtedly lead to a drastic increase in ammo theft as well. I've seen several estimates that it would more than double the cost of ammunition! With the increase in material costs the past few years the costs of shells has already doubled, and now they're proposing a law that would double it again?

I'm an avid hunter and target shooter and probably spend somewhere between $800 and $1000 per year on ammunition. You can see why I [[And and other law abiding sportsman) would be upset with a law that would raise the cost of the ammunition. Not only will it increase costs, but the reduced access to ammo will make it difficult for many to purchase it all together.

Besides the costs involved to law abiding citizens do you really think that someone planning to commit a crime will legally purchase ammo? Then they will leave cases around for the cops to track them down?

Well, if it costs me .35 cents to have a cigarette, it ought to cost you at least $3.50 every time you shoot a weapon for the sheer pleasure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    I don’t get it. Where was everyone’s outrage when President Bush took away your constitutional right to assemble, to due process, to habeas corpus, and privacy?
    Anything in the name of protection of the 'Homeland'

Since when did we start throwing out socio-facist terms like Homeland???

Has everyone forgotten last year's Supreme Court decision that there is a fundamental constitutional right to own firearms? If so, read this -- http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politic...tin_080627.htm

Without constitutional amendment, firearms cannot be generally banned. We will, however, now have much litigation about how much regulatory control over firearms will be allowed so as to not substantially infringe upon that right [[much the same as there has been much litigation about how much states can limit the right to abortion under Roe v. Wade before substantially infringing that right).

I did a little bit of reading on the subject and was surprised to discover that this "bullet coding" technology is actually designed to label the projectile instead of the casing. And curiously enough the company that patented the technology has sent lobbyists to Washington to push legislation mandating its use and forcing the costs onto the American consumer. Interesting.....

As for the costs you are welcome to do a Google search [[I did). It's virtually pointless to argue what the true costs will be as there are dozens of sources estimating that ammo costs would rise anywhere from .005 cents per round [[From the company who patented the labeling technology ) to 3X from several NRA related sites. It's probably fair to guess that the actual cost would be somewhere in between.

What a stupid idea. Are they going to keep records of ammo purchases now?

For many reasons, nobody is going to take your guns away, people.
    You can relax. Cool out. Don't let the fools at Fox get you all worked up.

And we will continue to have around 14 gun related deaths per 100,000 population per year, while the rate in Canada will stay around 4 per 100,000.
    Last edited by Bobl; April-14-09 at 02:55 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    For many reasons, nobody is going to take your guns away, people.
    You can relax. Cool out. Don't let the fools at Fox get you all worked up.

No, but apparently a plan to tax ammunition until we can't afford to use them is more likely.. By the way I don't own a television and the rare times I listen to talk radio it's usually NPR. So your idea that Limbaugh and O' Reilly lackeys are the only people upset about these proposals is a bit off base.

How is this supposed to work? Are people going to have to register their bullets? Is there going to be a national bullet database. How much will the bullet license be? What about reloads?

ccbatson Guest

Only if black market work arounds are eliminated does gun control make any sense. If not, all that is accomplished is to take guns away from people that obey the laws that restrict possession. The bad guys are already breaking the law, so what is one, or two, or however many more laws going to change that?

What is the point of bar coding bullets if people are not required to "register" when they purchase ammo?

cheddar bob Guest

Where's the Proof?
    Found it. Right here...
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=13915442

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Well done.

cheddar bob Guest

Thank you. I'm surprised nobody else came up with it.

My car is "registered" but I don't have to "register" every time I fill up the gas tank. Who is going to manage this database of ammo manufacturing and distribution?

ccbatson Guest

Go ahead and bar code bullets. Just make sure that it isn't taxpayer funded, add the cost to the purchaser.

Sorry CC. The government and your tax dollars are going to have to maintain the bullet registry. I'll just have to be content with my 4,000 non-barcoded rounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast