Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default The Michigan Theatre

I think we've been mucking up the United Artists Thread too much with info on it's next door neighbor, the Michigan Building/Theatre. [[I'm just as much at fault!)

So I thought I would start another one on the former 4,050 seat Michigan Theatre. Lots of stuff has already been said about it in other DYES threads over the years, but I've got a lot of interesting things that haven't been posted before. Busy week, so I'll start this thread with this.... [[I have no clue who put this together)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-dw5izGVQ

... P.S. The theatre was gutted by previous owners starting in March of 1977.

Yes it seems depressing... but if you think that all the depressing stuff only happens here in Detroit, then check out what happened in 1963 to the former 4,651 seat San Francisco Fox, one of the five 1928-29 leviathan Fox Theatres built around the country [[with the Detroit Fox being the largest). Watch the whole video [[beyond the organ pipe info). The San Francisco Fox was considered America's finest movie palace in the "Palace" style, while the Detroit Fox wins in the "Temple" style movie palace category. [[NOTE: the SF Fox organ is a Wurlitzer 4/36 twin of that of the Detroit Fox, and today is located today in the much smaller 1,800 seat El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8o90jvKRec&NR=1

Hard to believe people were so ambivalent back in the pre-preservation days of 1963, isn't it? Especially when checking out these color images...

http://www.historigraphics.com/fox/s...llection.shtml

While the Michigan was one of the half dozen finest movie palaces in the country in the "palace" style, the San Francisco Fox was at the top of this list [[with the Chicago Theatre, and NYC Paramount also on the list).

At least 50% of the Michigan survives... but nothing but the organ survives of the SF Fox. Ironically it almost makes one glad that we have so much left of the Michigan....

And getting back on thread... here are 2 pics [[had to split the image in half to get a decent image for posting)... of the ceiling of the former auditorium around the Procenium arch. Usually this area is bathed in perpetual twilight, and the true surviving colors of the ceiling are difficult for the human eye to make out...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-27-09 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think we've been mucking up the United Artists Thread too much with info on it's next door neighbor, the Michigan Building/Theatre. [[I'm just as much at fault!)

So I thought I would start another one on the former 4,050 seat Michigan Theatre. Lots of stuff has already been said about it in other DYES threads over the years, but I've got a lot of interesting things that haven't been posted before. Busy week, so I'll start this thread with this.... [[I have no clue who put this together)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-dw5izGVQ

... P.S. The theatre was gutted by previous owners starting in March of 1977.

Yes it seems depressing... but if you think that all the depressing stuff only happens here in Detroit, then check out what happened in 1963 to the former 4,651 seat San Francisco Fox, one of the five 1928-29 leviathan Fox Theatres built around the country [[with the Detroit Fox being the largest). Watch the whole video [[beyond the organ pipe info). The San Francisco Fox was considered America's finest movie palace in the "Palace" style, while the Detroit Fox wins in the "Temple" style movie palace category. [[NOTE: the SF Fox organ is a Wurlitzer 4/36 twin of that of the Detroit Fox, and today is located today in the much smaller 1,800 seat El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8o90jvKRec&NR=1

Hard to believe people were so ambivalent back in the pre-preservation days of 1963, isn't it? Especially when checking out these color images...

http://www.historigraphics.com/fox/s...llection.shtml

While the Michigan was one of the half dozen finest movie palaces in the country in the "palace" style, the San Francisco Fox was at the top of this list [[with the Chicago Theatre, and NYC Paramount also on the list).

At least 50% of the Michigan survives... but nothing but the organ survives of the SF Fox. Ironically it almost makes one glad that we have so much left of the Michigan....

And getting back on thread... here are 2 pics [[had to split the image in half to get a decent image for posting)... of the ceiling of the former auditorium around the Procenium arch. Usually this area is bathed in perpetual twilight, and the true surviving colors of the ceiling are difficult for the human eye to make out...
    Wow Gistok, great photos. You coaxed colors out of that proscenium that I seldom saw in hundreds of times I was inside the theatre. Thank you.

Oh yes....The Michigan Theatre. One of Detroit's most forgotten gems. This is really an example of the stuff that only happens in Detroit. They turned a theater into a parking structure....wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Oh yes....The Michigan Theatre. One of Detroit's most forgotten gems....
    Bob, I wouldn't exactly call it a "forgotten" gem. It gets visitors from all around the world, not to mention movies and commercials filmed inside the former theatre space [[at least 4 movies so far).

You might want to delete your last post, the pics aren't right....

Here's some closeups of the lobby ceiling...

The inside of the Great False Window... the grand lobby was actually about 40-50 ft. behind the window. This is/was the largest false window of any American movie palace.... also a detail of some of the dozens of mirrors in this glorious space.... which was never intended to be viewed by the public from the inside.

Some great pictures, guys! Unfortunately I have to go in the structure to take pictures but I plan on it eventually. It's pretty sad what they did with it but I won't bitch and complain. Afterall, at least it's standing :-)

Oh dear. I saw those painted arches in "8 Mile" [[of course), and a car chase in "The Island" I think. I was always a little afraid to find out what that building had been... Turn-of-the-century theaters are a passion of mine.

Thanks, Gistok. I saw NIN in the Chicago Theater, so that mention was helpful to picture what these might have been like. One of the worst things about money is it has no sentimentality, and all those glorious details cost a lot to maintain.

Bob, I wouldn't exactly call it a "forgotten" gem. It gets visitors from all around the world, not to mention movies and commercials filmed inside the former theatre space [[at least 4 movies so far).

You might want to delete your last post, the pics aren't right....

Here's some closeups of the lobby ceiling...
    Gistok, Very nice pictures indeed! I wish I had a better camera to capture it like you did tho. When I say forgotten, you are right that it is NOT forgotten by many people, but to inner city Detroit residents it is forgotten. Most have no idea that this beauty even exists in the Grand River Hood. Good point detroitzak....It is still standing! Great pictures everyone

Has anyone been to a concert at the Michigan before it was turned into a parking garage? How did the acoustics sound?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Has anyone been to a concert at the Michigan before it was turned into a parking garage? How did the acoustics sound?
    I saw David Bowie there in his Diamond Dogs tour in 1974, when it was known to some as the Michigan Palace. From my seat in the balcony, the sound seemed to be good enough. The balcony swaying was rather disconcerting though.

Here are some examples of the groups that had shows at the Michigan Palace [[the concert venue name of the Michigan Theatre from 1974-75)....

Others [[not shown in pics) included George Carlin, Cheech & Chong and Ohio Players.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-28-09 at 04:56 PM.

Here are some examples of the groups that had shows at the Michigan Palace [[the concert venue name of the Michigan Theatre from 1974-75)....

Others [[not shown in pics) included George Carlin, Cheech & Chong and Ohio Players.
    Wow. T.Rex. I would have LOVED to have seen that show. Not a fan of ZZ Top, however.

When it comes to sound in the Michigan Theatre [[or any other downtown venue)... the amplification system of the band pretty much overrides the natural acoustics of the venue.

The Michigan, like other downtown theatres had the best amplified sound usually in the front of the balcony. The front of the main floor was usually the loudest. The worst sound was usually under the balcony overhang. This included the horseshoe shaped mezzanine seating, and the back seating of the main floor [[especially those main floor seats under the mezzanine).

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Wow Gistok, great photos. You coaxed colors out of that proscenium that I seldom saw in hundreds of times I was inside the theatre. Thank you.
    Unfortunately those 2 images were not taken by me, but by a professional photographer who does work for the National Geographic. He used a Nikon D80 camera. The photographer took many photos of the interior, and the building owner had him EMAIL me about historic info on the Michigan. He sent me that pic, and when I sent him a pic of the false window chamber, the photographer came back to Detroit to get some dramatic shots of that glorious space.

Those 2 images are only part of a single much larger picture, but the JPG limitations here prevented me from posting the much larger image. Those 2 pics only show about 70% of the original photo.

We may yet get to see some of the Michigan interior in a "possible" upcoming National Geographic magazine article on Detroit... but I'm not privy to any details of that possibility.

Stosh Guest

When it comes to sound in the Michigan Theatre [[or any other downtown venue)... the amplification system of the band pretty much overrides the natural acoustics of the venue.

The Michigan, like other downtown theatres had the best amplified sound usually in the front of the balcony. The front of the main floor was usually the loudest. The worst sound was usually under the balcony overhang. This included the horseshoe shaped mezzanine seating, and the back seating of the main floor [[especially those main floor seats under the mezzanine).
    Then where I sat was the best amplified sound there was, roughly center stage first row balcony. I'd say that out of all the concerts that I saw back then, this one stands out most in my mind. The theatre has a lot to do with that memory, alongside the concert itself.

Thanks for the ticket photos Gistok. There were a lot of great shows at the Michigan Palace. I was at that Alex Harvey/ Pretty Things show. Also saw Taj Mahal, Weather Report, Little Feat, Passport, probably others.

I know a rock concert memorabilia collector from Livonia who has a nearly complete roster of what shows were at the Michigan Palace. I just sent him an EMAIL, and he'll either post here, or give me the info to post on [[most) all the concerts that played at the Michigan Palace, as well as their dates. He had given me the list before, but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

Stay tuned...

I saw the New York Dolls there back in New Years Eve 1972 [[around that time).
    It was general seating. We climbed into the orchestra pit and watched the show from there. I think some of my friends got back stage. I remember people were crawling and hanging from the elaborate plaster from the balconies. It was an amazing place.

Those 2 images are only part of a single much larger picture, but the JPG limitations here prevented me from posting the much larger image. Those 2 pics only show about 70% of the original photo.
    So no pictures from the NG-guy I think. Copyright issues, yadda yadda....

If you have a pictre that's too much for the site to handle why not post the picture as a link? Just drop the picture in Tinypic and that's all. I do it all the time.

Stosh Guest

Here's a list of shows there. Can't say they are complete...
    http://www.motorcitymusicarchives.co...ganpalace.html

I have mailed the heirs of the late Dutch pop journalist Jip Golsteijn to ask if he has taken pictures of Motown in the seventies. Check out the rollcall he interviewed! OINK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Here's a list of shows there. Can't say they are complete...
    http://www.motorcitymusicarchives.co...ganpalace.html

February 9/Saturday:Iggy & The Stooges [[LAST SHOW EVER)February 23/Saturday:Badfinger
    Well, Iggy begged to differ!

smudge pot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Missed the whole Grande thing, but went to the Palace many times. Too many years, drugs, but I'll never forget Fleetwood Mac. Two chicks, and no Peter Green, but after all the yuppie crap, the guys stepped up and nearly knocked the walls down with something about a "Two-Pronged Crown". Nice acoustics.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast