Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan creates fake "union" for self-employed child care centers

I'm normally in favor of unions in their legitimate role of representing employee interests when dealing with large corporations, but this is both shameful and ridiculous.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...241120838.html

The scam is that private child care providers now suddenly find themselves in a "union", and the state is withholding "union dues" from subsidized payments for low-income parents. The "dues" are then funnelled to a subsidiary arm of the UAW.

No objections to unions myself. I provide caregiver services to a disabled senior. Clean house, do laundry, run errands and cook. The state pays me a small and I mean small monthly stipend for these services. Looked at my check stub and find I am paying union dues too. Never been in a union before. Don't even know the name of the union, no clue what they are doing for me and even worse no union membership card and car bumper sticker.

I provide caregiver services for other seniors at no charge. Today I will be doing banking and grocery shopping for one of these seniors I've adopted. How will this "union" collect when no money changes hands? Does this "union" charge foster care parents?

A union is supposed to function as a collective bargaining agent. Tuesday is a free day for me so for fun I want to track this "union" down. I'll then write a letter [[assuming they have an address) asking them to insist to the state I get a millage check for all those errands. Heck what about disability payments if I get hurt on the job.

The amount I pay $5 a month is insignificant. I just would like to know $5 dollars for what?

There is just no way that can be legit, legally. These are all independent companies. It will get thrown out as soon as anyone bothers to take it to court

sumas, here is a page:
    http://www.miafscme.org/CCPTM.htm
    with some info for you. I would be surprised if you can get anybody this week - most union staff have the week between Christmas and New Year's Day off.

Just got back from my "errands for elders" as I call it.

Thanks for the link. I think I will attend the January meeting but notice there was no address listed. No worry, I am sure I can find the address for local #25.

All I want is a billfold card and bumper sticker for my car!

Just got back and my husband, a notorious lurker, said, read the posts. In a short time we will leave home for my "paid gig". With us, we will take a rolled rump roast to cook and fixens. That comes out of our pockets.

We will be meeting with a rep from hospice @ 2:00. I just hope when I am old and needy someone will be there for us. Thanks to all who recommended this org.

Still want my union card.

AFSCME Local 25 is located in the old Channel 4 building on Fort Street, directly across from the news building. There is free parking in the back and a nice lady in the lobby who will direct you.

The Michigan Court of Appeals yesterday dismissed a lawsuit that challenged the Governor's power to create the quasi-public "shell corporation" that "negotiated" on behalf of their new "employees": formerly independent child care providers across the state who receive Michigan Dept. of Human Services child care subsidies.

The basis of this argument is whether the Executive Office can create a new class of government employees without a vote of the Legislature. Thanks to the Court of Appeals, the Separation of Powers in Michigan has never been cloudier.

6,000 people can legally coerce the other 40,000 people to sign on to a union that they never heard of?

Well, that's one hell of a scam!

If a care provider were sued for incompetence or abuse, I wonder if being a part of a union would benefit anyone in the suit. If the care provider has little money or assets, it wouldn't pay to sue him/her. But would the new description of state employee for care givers, give the suer a better chance of getting a settlement?

Question:
    I just would like to know $5 dollars for what?
    Here's your answer:
    most union staff have the week between Christmas and New Year's Day off.
    Comment:
    There is just no way that can be legit, legally. These are all independent companies. It will get thrown out as soon as anyone bothers to take it to court
    It was taken to court and thrown out, all right - the lawsuit, that is.

Setting new standards in government transparency and efficiency, all it takes in Michigan is an Executive Order to move a group of business people out of the private sector and into the government sector where they can immediately be turned into union rank and file members. Apparently, legislative debate and accountability are such old-fashioned ideals these days. What this state needs now are more government employees and government union workers. Everyone knows how the State of Michigan is such a horrible employer and how they over-work and under-pay their employees, but if you need to hear it yourself, just ask the First Husband's government-paid staff!

But the bottom line is - as Sumas so helpfully explains - the amount of her new union dues is insignificant. Therefore, why should the taxpayers complain? After all, it's only $200,000 worth of monthly government subsidies that no longer make their way to where the child care services are actually being provided - or did the state increase the child care subsidy budget and provider payments to cover the diversion of funds to the union? Either way, nobody seems to care about the budget implications anymore than they care about the underlying Separation of Powers issue.

As a worker for DHS I can tell you I wish that we would stop daycare payments all together then this would be a non-issue. If you had a clue how much fraud there was involved by providers and parents you would be sick, there is no control or oversight. As workers we are handcuffed by terrible management and ridiculous caseloads. We don't have the time or tools to do anything about what we know is going on and it sickens me and my coworkers. Grandparents refusing to watch their grandkids unless they get paid, parents stiffing their providers out of money because for some dumb reason the checks are written out to the parents, parents being paid as a provider to watch the kids of the person being paid to watch their kids, false hours being called in... and it goes on and on.

DHS are the best. Over worked and under paid. Too bad you can't bill for abuse. Kids first.

I know that fraud is rampant but a huge majority appreciate the services provided.
    I thought the dual check was supposed to eliminate fraud. We get a small check, for services rendered, don't rat me out, but most of it goes back to our friend to provide health aids he could not otherwise afford. We keep a little for gas for the car.

Here is a "legal" fraud I don't quite understand. The bridge card pays for pop bottle deposits. Buy the kids unhealthy pop, cash in the deposit bottles and buy booze or smokes. I am no puritan, I still smoke and enjoy a drink now and then but why should the state pay for those vices?

I still want my union card and bumper sticker! Why do I not get junk mail telling me what they are doing for us? This just seems like a really bad joke. Rather give that money to a kid to buy a book.

Back in the news:
    Forced Unionization

February 11, 2010 06:40 AM EST by John Stossel

Michelle Berry runs a day-care business out of her home in Flint, MI. She thought that she owned her own business, but Berry's been told she is now a government employee and union member. It's not voluntary. Suddenly, Berry and 40,000 other Michigan private day-care providers have learned that union dues are being taken out of the child-care subsidies the state sends them. The "union" is a creation of AFSCME, the government workers union, and the United Auto Workers.

This racket means big money to AFSCME, which runs the union, writes the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a free-market think tank.
    Today the Department of Human Services siphons about $3.7 million in annual dues to the union….

The money should be going to home-based day-care providers — themselves not on the high end of the income scale. Ms. Berry now sees money once paid to her go to a union that does little for her…
    [Read the rest......]

Oh boy -- John Stossel.

What a credible tool, finally where he belongs -- faux news

Michigan faces an enormous budget deficit, yet we let the unions skim $3.6 million off the top? Of course rb can only attack the messenger, while daycare for kids is shortchanged.

Mackinaw Center and John Stossel - oh yeah.

Sumas, did you go to the AFSCME building? If you want to write me directly, I'll see what I can find out for you.

Yea, more "attack the messenger". I know, it's tough to defend this union graft so go after those who'd dare bring it to light.

Unionistas, your days are numbered.

Attachment 5199

"Oh boy -- John Stossel, by the way, it's just a flesh wound!"

"You are indeed brave, Sir Knight, but the fight is mine."

"Mackinaw Center and John Stossel - oh yeah, but let's call it a draw."

"What are you gonna do, bleed on me?"