Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another Detroit Gem [[pic) 8501 Woodward

What a Pretty building!

Anyone know anything about it. I saw it on a site that said it shows neglect. Someone else also said it was for sale for a long time.

Anyone know this building? Been inside?

Seems definitely worth saving.

Corner of Philadelphia and Woodward [[8501) what's that neighborhood like?
    Attachment 591
    Last edited by Lowell; April-13-09 at 06:36 PM.

Lorax Guest

Neighborhood has some gorgeous architecture including the Utley Branch of the Detroit Public Library which is across the street, and has seen new life as some kind of day-care center.

Houses in the neighborhood can sell under 10k in many cases- some terrific arts & crafts houses, victorians, etc. The condition of the neighborhood is decrepit and just about at rock bottom.

The church is large, airy and elegant, eventhough many of the windows have been shot through.

Anyone know what the asking price is? How about a committee to raise funds to buy it and open a DetroitYes not-for-profit ideas cosortium for planning the city's development future?

Any ideas Lowell?

A great old church, sadly neglected over the years. The lantern tower had some sort of scrim stretched across the nave ceiling line the last time I was in the building, probably some 10 years ago. The original pipe organ,a Tellers-Kent seemed to be intact, but hadn't been used in some time. No figures in the windows, just amber green milk glass. Nice, if not fancy woodwork and pews, all original finish in dark oak/walnut.

That stretch of Woodward was known as "holy hill" because of all the places of worship which includes the mighty Albert Kahn designed Tempe Beth El. Fabulous ruin apt across street at 70 E Philadelphia.

Yeah, that is pretty Aewsome..

<313>

One Sunday awhile back I stopped in to take a piss and didnt feel particualarly welcome. I took off my hat out of respect although I dont have any religious beliefs, had my camera strapped around my neck..mixed congregation. preacher preaching the usual blah blah blah babble... several other churches Ive visited in the North End hood have been a little less hostile..agree there is much great architecture in the area, includes early twentieth century duplexe's , an oldtime fire station; synagogues converted into slick hustle ministries and non-denominationals...some old garages and neighborhood storefronts...Attended an AIDS memorial at a historical black church down the street from the church in the pic. the preacher at the former monolith Temple Beth El let me into the domeed part of the building to take pics...the mixed congregation was holding service in an elongated room at the side of the structure...lots of history and artistic design....

terryh - I'm having difficulty even beginning a response to your post. You stopped in a church on a Sunday during services to take a piss? Were you waiting for the minister to pause before you asked where the bathroom was?!? Of all the insensitive, disrespectful attitudes I've ever run across...no wonder you got a hostile reaction. I would imagine the reception would have been much more cordial if you had stopped in to worship with the congregation.

Kim I'm not sure he meant it exactly as you read it.
    Besides I thought the building was abandoned.

What was the inside like? Umm did the bathrooms work? lol

No harm intended Kimmiann....

It's a block away from Virginia Park Street. Btw Woodward and the Lodge, Virginia Park [[blocked off @ Woodward) is lined with old 5000-7000 sq' mansions scattered among 2000+ sq' homes. The mansions are all obsolete, run down and bastardized, and those that are for sale are asking as low as 30K. Some are salvageable with significant resources.

The neighborhood is about 9 blocks north of the New Center.

Not all of the Virginia Park homes are rundown. The street is particularly nice between Second and Woodward. At least it was when I lived on it three years ago.