Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default New T.V. Show Set in Detroit

The Discovery Channel's innovative new show "Motor City Motors" honors American ingenuity by pushing automotive and motorcycle engineering to another level, while also giving much-needed opportunities to unemployed Detroit auto workers. The show, created by the brains behind "Deadliest Catch," premieres at 10 p.m. Dec. 28.

Viewers will watch two brothers, Dave and James Kaye, and their father, John, work out of their Detroit Bros. custom bike shop. Each week they hire a new crew and turn cars into wildly imaginative one-of-a-kind vehicles under a tight five-day deadline.

"The genius of Detroit -- that's the whole idea," says executive producer Thom Beers. "This what made the country great. World War II -- a bunch of farm boys with pliers and cable could make anything run. Throw a challenge at us, we figure it out, and we do it not just with our brains, but we do it with our hands and our heart. That's what this show's about."

Sounds pretty good, thanks for posting.

while also giving much-needed opportunities to unemployed Detroit auto workers
    It sounds like the Governor's film industry tax credits are finally kicking in! While Thom Beers gets his check from the Michigan Dept. of Treasury, our unemployed auto workers are getting their "much-needed opportunity" to work as reality TV entertainers and the rest of us who can still afford cable can tune in and drive up the Discovery Channel's ratings. It's a "win-win" for everybody!
    Too bad about all those Michigan public school students whose education depend on the shrinking state foundation allowance - they need to realize that they are doing their part to help restructure Michigan's economy!

2010 predictions: the UAW attempts to unionize unemployed auto workers who are now in the reality TV biz; the MEA complains that teachers and support staff recently "pink-slipped" due to cuts in the state education
    foundation allowance also deserve to get their "much-needed opportunity" and that they be represented by the MEA; Thom Beers films a new reality TV series titled "Michigan Union Wars"!

MichMatters Guest

You are so clever and funny. Did you come up with that all by yourself? Someone get this guy writing for television, stat!

I saw ads for this while watching an Overhaulin' marathon with the in-laws over the weekend. Set it up to record on the DVR right when I got home last night - looking forward to the show!

Set in Detroit doesn't mean anything if it isn't shot on location or doesn't show any background locations. Home Improvement was set in Detroit [[Dearborn) too, but other than a few side comments, you'd never have known it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Set in Detroit doesn't mean anything if it isn't shot on location or doesn't show any background locations. Home Improvement was set in Detroit [[Dearborn) too, but other than a few side comments, you'd never have known it.
    Well, the Detroit Bros. is a motorcycle shop up in Ferndale and they've been featured on ModelDMedia's youtube videos. I'm sure it'll be set in Detroit.

From what I understand the set is in an old factory in Detroit and from the shots of it I will have to do some google searching.Have to remember to keep watching it.

Saw the show last night [[12/28) and it won't last long....no real personality in the brothers and not much in the way of a set either. It is too bad as it could have been a chance for Detroit to shine.

Won't last long. This is a knock off of Jesse James' Monster Garage. 90% sure it is the same producer. These guys will never have the personality or star power of Jesse James. That is not a personal knock on them as I do like their bikes. I just do not feel they have the personalities for this. To me it was a boo hoo Detroit session. Even they where saying on the show how they are losing their business. I do not feel bad for them as they have had more chances than many Detroiters. They have been on other national reality shows like Biker Buildoff and the cover of many national bike magazines and they just have not cut it it. I know the show is not 100% about them but it is really just the producer trying to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was Jesse James' Monster Garage while taking advantage of the Michigan tax credit. That is not going to happen unfortunately. Plus the show really did not put Detroit in a good light. Surprise, surprise.

Quote: "Plus the show really did not put Detroit in a good light. Surprise, surprise."

Exactly, Detroit is the whipping boy of this recession. I overheard a redneck a few states away, the other day comment "Detroit is the poorest city in the US" As he stood in, and undoubtedly lived in, judging by his and the places' appearance, probably the poorest county in the US. They have people around this country believing this whole area is a ghost town the few people left are living in a Depression type environment.

While I was going to the Kroger last night I drove by a " recently" which I mean opened within a year of so Custom Cycle Shop. After thinking of what I had watched Monday night I kinda got the impression that there are very few shops in this area building bikes. I can count at least 3 within 5miles from my house.
    I myself agree that this show lacks the spark of Monster Garage which I miss still.But I will tune in next week to see whats up.Best part was seeing one of the crew wearing a Tshirt from the Station on Mich Ave in Inkster.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

ok im really curious... what clues give it away.. i've been trying to pinpoint what burb the taylors are from for awhile

MichMatters Guest

I'm surprised, too. I'd always thought Home Improvement was set in Birmingham -- where Tim Allen spent his teenaged years -- or at least somewhere in the older sections of Oakland County,

I was disappointed in "American Chopper" after the first few episodes, when I saw the blatant mistakes that were made on poorly designed Harleys.
    But look at the wind fall now, from somebody's basement to a corporate empire in upstate New York. All based on family personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    I'm surprised, too. I'd always thought Home Improvement was set in Birmingham -- where Tim Allen spent his teenaged years -- or at least somewhere in the older sections of Oakland County,

all the trees, etc, made it look like pleasant ridge to me. i don't think they ever stated which burb explicitly

Quote: "I was disappointed in "American Chopper" after the first few episodes,"

Same here. Those guys are butchers. They wouldn't last 3 seconds in any tool shop I've worked in. One episode, I cringed as I watched "Paul Jr" totally destroy a beautifully machined primary case [[they bought it) with a metabo to remedy a clearance issue. They had a bike at Motorama here, the rear fender radius did not even fit the rear rim radius, looked like something a 12 year old assembled. I was going to take pictures and didn't even bother. They have so much sheet metal unsupported and tacked in position, if any of those bikes were ridden much at all, the stuff would crack and fall off from vibration. Their whole schtick got rather intentional and redundant. "Let's break something"

One episode that sticks out is when that one whizbang got his glove wound up in the drill press. Who has worked in any sort of shop and thinks it's ok to run a machine with gloves on? Makes one wonder if the whole show isn't just BS. Not once did anyone mention how unsafe it was to wear gloves and run a machine.

I'll bet the real custom builders hate these shows as it casts them all in a very bad light. I'd never buy a custom bike.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; December-30-09 at 09:49 AM.