Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit may be getting marijuana facility in Downtown Beal Building

Here's the article.... pretty exciting! More jobs coming to the region!

http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...troit-complex/

Here's a part of the article:

" Ann Arbor-based real estate management firm Beal Properties is poised to sign an agreement with a tenant who will launch a 3,420-square-foot medical marijuana facility at the Beal Building in downtown Detroit."

Wasn't aware that Beal renamed the Breitmeyer-Tobin Building when it bought it a couple of years ago. I'll continue to call it the Breitmeyer-Tobin Building, however.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Wasn't aware that Beal renamed the Breitmeyer-Tobin Building when it bought it a couple of years ago. I'll continue to call it the Breitmeyer-Tobin Building, however.
    Tobin? I'd be interested in learning more of this Tobin person.

Not in that building I hope! Those facilities are notrious to be prone to give water damage. And it really doesn't fit the structure.

Wikipedia.

Here in the Netherlands there are numerous illegal facilities found in attics and some appartments. True story, just a month ago one facility was discovery just above me! And I never noticed it. The first time I got aware of it was when I got home on a Friday and there was a garbage truck humming stationairy in front of my appartment, to my annoyance the engine kept running with no one inside. It was quite a noise. An hour later I saw the dismantled facility being crushed into the garbage truck. The watering equipment, carbonfilters, fans etc. etc.

The facility was running up until that day. It produced 300 stems of weed. The occupant of the appartment was arrested earlier that day. He was caught redhanded as he loaded the plants into his car. The police were tippped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Tobin? I'd be interested in learning more of this Tobin person.
    Benjamin Tobin, I believe, was the man behind the Continental Motors Co.

I hope the tenant knows the implication of opening a commercial medical marijuana facility at this stage of the medical marijuana legislation.

As of now, there is no legislation that permits any commercial growing whatsoever. It is still a schedule 1 drug, no matter how controversial it is. There are severe FEDERAL penalties for any sale/use/possession regardless of state laws. President Obama did state that he will no longer have the DEA go after states that have medical marijuana laws, but there is no guarantee, and the DEA may shut this facility down like it has other facilities operating legally within local and state laws, in California.

Beyond this, creating a commercial facility will HURT the medical marjiuana supporters, as the Medical Marihuana Act of 2008 can be revised two years after it has been voted for. How do you think voters would act when they see pot-shops on every corner [[its bound to spread beyond this building), in November 2010 when they can revise or even eliminate the act? The greedy few are trying to capitalize on medical marijuana, when the patients who need it will suffer if the law is gone.

Also, 3420 square feet seems pretty large when a single person can only have 12 plants or 2.5 ounces. Collectives are not permitted.

-Tahleel

That's good news. I've always thought that building was such a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Benjamin Tobin, I believe, was the man behind the Continental Motors Co.
    Was this the same Ben Tobin behind
    Tobin Properties
    1101 Ben Tobin Drive
    Hollywood, FL 33021
    ? I'm not trying to go any further with this. I'm just trying to discover whether or not there is any connection.

Ultra COOL!

I can see a lot of Detroit/Crackhouse jokes coming out of this.

Building beauty aesthetics aside - I hope the have good security, and strong door locks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    That's good news. I've always thought that building was such a beauty.

lefty Guest

I guess nowadays any tenant [[that pays) is a good tenant

The building is Beal's first foray intoAny outright land ownership in Detroit, although Stewart Beal and his father, Fred Beal, own stakes worth less than 5 percent in the Broderick Tower in the city. JC Beal Construction is rehabilitating the 34-story skyscraper into lofts, a $30 million project.
    http://blog.mlive.com/ann_arbor_busi..._office_b.html

^That article is from Sept, 2007 fyi. We have a thread for any discussion on the Broderick Tower.
    http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread....roderick+tower

lefty Guest

Actually if you read it, it was an article about the harmonie building aka breitmeyer tobin bldg.

Beal acquired the Breitmeyer-Tobin Building from David Schervish and SVM Development as payment for work JC Beal Construction did on six related properties. Beal took over the mortgage and other debts.
    The building is worth about $3.5 million.
    SVM was part of the Tobin Harmonie Park Limited Partnership, which developed the building in the early 1990s

A lawyer growing weed in a commercial downtown building for the new laws, that's progressive development eh?

I wonder if I can open a store close by that sells nothing but dorritos, coney island hot dogs, and twinkies?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I wonder if I can open a store close by that sells nothing but dorritos, coney island hot dogs, and twinkies?
    Ha! That's good planning. No wonder they call you the DetroitPlanner.