Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    cheddar bob Guest

Default The Bird Is Dead

Former Tigers Pitcher Mark Fidrych found dead under his truck.
    RIP

diver1369 Guest

Where did you hear that?

cheddar bob Guest

AP wire at work.

RIP, He was one of my favorites Tigers from my youth

RIP Bird.

Time to pull out a game on DVD.

how sad, RIP Bird

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...6z7xQD97HR7Q85

Oh how sad. He was my grandmas favorite pitcher of all time. She loved "The Bird"....RIP Mark.

Aw, jeez. He gave Detroit one of its happiest baseball seasons ever, and I'll never forget him. God bless you, Bird.

Really sad news...The Bird was a real Detroit treasure!!! There will never be another like him. RIP....

This baseball season is really getting off to a sad, sad start with so many tragic deaths...Nick Adenhart and now both Harry Kalas and The Bird in one day!

very sad

Incredibly sad. He looked fine in that recent interview. Spunky as usual.

RIP Mark

No game I've ever attended came close to matching the atmosphere as that Monday night ABC Game of the Week against the Yankees. The spontaneity of the crowd rising and yelling "We want the Bird! We want the Bird!" is something I'll never forget and nobody ever enjoyed playing the game more or appreciated the fans more than Mark Fidrych. 19-9, lowest era in the league, all on a crummy team where he didn't start his season until May.

RIP Mark, how sad to read the news of his death.

He made that Bicentennial summer of '76 even more special, bright and exciting, drawing huge crowds to watch his antics on the mound at Tiger Stadium, on the days that he pitched. He even raised attendance figures for the games that he pitched on the road, attracting families with young children and teens, so that they could see "Big Bird" pitch. It was so strange to watch some of those road games on TV, and see the crowd cheering a pitcher on the visiting team, especially when the Bird would strike out a player on their home team.

There will be many words written about "The Bird", but I suspect "unique" might be the most descriptive one. There will never be another.
    It is sad that he was injured and never regained his edge after his spectacular year.
    My condolences to his friends and family.

My first celebrity crush as a teenager, I worshiped him. What a bummer.

1976 was a great year to be a Tiger fan. The team sucked, but what a great time when Fydrich pitched.

The Tigers ruined his arm. Pitchers pitched more innings years ago but 250 innings for a 21 year old rookie was ridiculous. I did a quick search on baseball reference on 4 or 5 pitchers who started pitching in the mid-70's and none of them came close to 250. As an example, Jack Morris was in the majors at 22 [[1977) and pitched 45 innings, 106, 197, and 250 his first four years in the majors.

Sludgedaddy Guest

Truly a great loss for those who remember and love Detroit Baseball. Got to see The Bird pitch at the Corner back in the seventies. I remember some of Don Lobsinger's storm troopers handing out anti Coleman Young flyers stating: "A Breathe of Fresh Air has returned to Detroit with Mark Fydritch".

Players like The Bird and George Kell and their like showed much more class and love for the Game, unlike the multi-million dollar crybabies of today with their steroid enhancement. But , of course, let's not forget another drug enhanced performance when Bill "Spaceman" Lee pitched a no hitter while tripping on acid. There was joy in Mudville when the Mighty Casey Tripped Out.

RIP Mr. Fydritch

I'm sure we went to all of his games that year, it was amazing how many of them went into eleven and twelve innings...that has to account for so many total pitches thrown by him.

What great memories of the first very public 'New Ager' in my young perceptions...RIP Bird.

ironically enough I wore my vintage Fidrych "Bird is the Word" T-shirt. -RIP

For one year, Mark was superman. It was amazing to see
    a team so crummy for three or four games could become world beaters when he pitched.
    I still remember seeing Bob Uker down by the third base dugout after the game with the Yankees. Tiger Stadium was packed to the max and fans were going crazy. I'm glad to say I was actually there.

Wow, this is sad news. I actually met him in Kalkaska, MI when he did a signing with Bill Freehan. Really nice guy and will be missed.

Starts 29
    Complete Games 24 I never really thought about how many innings he threw that year because in those days nobody thought much about it. but you guys are right, 250 innings for a 21 yr old rookie who didn't start his season until May is insane. Probably the fact he had the knee injury to start the next season worsened the shoulder injury.
    Last edited by 401don; April-13-09 at 07:18 PM.

Sludgedaddy:
    Pittsburgh's Dock Ellis pitched a no hitter against the Padres in 1970 while on LSD. He had forgotten that he was due to pitch that night to open a double header, and dropped with his girlfriend in the afternoon.

The Bird required no acid to entertain the fans, and might have pitched a no hitter one day, had he not been injured. He appeared to be simply high on baseball!

Mark Fidrych [[the Bird) died today at age 54. One of the nicest guys to ever play for the Tigers. When he became a success in 1976, I was back from college and working at the the Village Green in Birmingham on Woodward. We had the equipment at our shop to make t-shirts so when he was an instant sensation we started making shirts with his name and number...we were the first in Detroit as far as I know and were making them nonstop until the regular suppliers could begin producing them. The first day no one knew how to spell his name so we ran out and picked up a Free Press...and were in production. I redid the front store window and we made a few bucks! Oh to be 20 again! My sister went to every game he started. He brought so much happiness to our city. RIP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast