Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Christmas Spectacular in Detroit?

Being the holiday season and all I was just thinking about all the holiday traditions that we have here in metro Detroit. Greenfield Village lights, Wayne County lightfest, ice skating at Campus Martius, and all the many decked out neighborhoods.

Anyway, I was wondering if one tradition, the Christmas Spectacular in Detroit, is still around? If anyone has a hard time remembering, think of the commercials that started every year as early as October every year. The commercials featured the Rockettes dancing and the "Fill your heart with Christmas...." song at the end of the commercial. Well I didn't see one of those commercials this year and I searched on the web and couldn't find anything. It seems like they pulled the show out of Detroit after all those years.

This seems to be the definitive site, and unfortunately, I don't see any show scheduled for Detroit:

http://www.coasttocoasttickets.com/b...es_tickets.htm

My wife and I did see the Rockettes at the Fox sometime in the late '90s, and this year I ordered a DVD of the Christmas Spectacular [[New York version) from Amazon.com which was quite good. While some parts were different from what we remembered from the Fox, a lot of the famous essentials were still there, especially the Soldiers parade sequence where they all fall down like dominos at the end.