Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default U of D Basketball Tickets Promotion

Shameless Plug for the home team:

The University of Detroit [[I can't bring myself to call them mercy) men's basketball team has two upcoming home games that feature discounted tickets. Titans basketball is generally a good value anyway, and a general admission ticket for five bucks in fan friendly Calihan Hall is a great deal. On December 28, Detroit residents will only be charged TWO DOLLARS for a gen admission ticket, which is a nice way for the school to reach out to fans.

Details are here: http://www.detroittitans.com/news/20...220095822.aspx

If you can, come on out and support the home team.

Motor City Sam
    U of D Class of '89

I was at the Cleveland State game a couple weeks ago and the Titans looked pretty good, I like the way Ray McCallum is trying to bring the program back to respectability and I wish him and his team much success

Calihan Hall is one of our most under-appreciated gems. It is a great college basketball venue with a lot of rich Detroit sports history tied to it.. I grew up 3 blocks from the place and I used to attend U of D games regularly during the Dick Vitale-Smokey Gaines era when the Titans were hosting people like Marquette, Memphis State, Minnesota and North Carolina, but I hadn't seen a game there in a long, long time until a couple weeks ago.

Two bucks to watch a Div. 1 level basketball game is a steal, I hope they fill the joint up.

I will have to check out a game sometime. Too bad I'm not a Detroit resident yet

Callahan Hall is an old and GREAT basketball venue. A real old-style college pit court, with the fans literally on top of the action.

I remember my Dad taking me to see Terry Duerod, Terry Tyler, and John Long back in the day. I also remember U of D having special ticket promotions where you could get in cheap if you brought in can goods back when I was in high school. I'll try to make it on the 28th.

MC Sam --

Remember the good old days of U-D basketball with Archie Tullos? He had a 99% free throw average -- highest in the nation at the time. Marvin Owens, Carlos Cook and Paul Williams. And of course Glenn Tolbert.

for old U of D, dear old U of D
    true to you we'll ever be
    so fight! fight! fight!
    for the glorious red and white
    dear old U of D!

University of Detroit [[no Mercy)
    my almost mater

Gary, I agree with you about McCallum. I think he's got the team on the way back.

Downtown Lady, of course I remember all the players you mentioned, especially Glenn. Good times...

Waltbaby, it was while I was watching Tyler, Long, and Duerod on TV back when I was a kid that I made up my mind to go to U of D.

I have to agree the team is looking really good and is exciting to watch again, it definitely has been awhile! Coach M. is definitely putting together a very impressive team.

Also, for all of UD grads out their, this was a response from the AD Keri Gaither:

Although the University is seriously considering the start an NCAA Division I non-scholarship football program [[now called NCAA Football Championship Subdivision or FCS), currently there is no approved plan to move forward with the implementation of officially adding the sport. However, I'd like to give you a quick overview of what has happened so far.

From the research and internal feasibility study that has already been completed, I believe FCS football makes sense for UDM in many ways. It would increase the University's enrollment with an additional 90-110 male students. It would also add to the campus life experience and create additional exciting campus activities on Saturday afternoons as well as allow for a traditional Fall homecoming event in conjunction with a football game. We would also welcome the opportunity to host local Catholic High School games. However, there are a few challenges that need to be addressed before we can move forward with an official announcement.

First, the NCAA moratorium on adding new programs is in effect until 2011-12. I’m not sure if the NCAA moratorium will be extended after 2011-2012 but, even if it is, having an official plan to announce a program should be enough to be granted an exemption. Another challenge is not having a stadium or building to house the football program. Without an official commitment to build a stadium and the required additional facilities to house the program, it would be impossible to make such an announcement. Lastly, we would need a conference affiliation. I believe the Pioneer League is a terrific fit, especially since fellow Horizon League members Butler and Valparaiso are already in that League. Of course, we would have to be invited to join the Pioneer League.

An ambitious timeline for adding football requires a three-year process. The first summer would be spent hiring a coach and staff, and allowing the staff to recruit and schedule. The following summer/fall, the first football student-athletes would be on campus and enrolled in school, but the small team would not compete that year at the varsity level. The following summer/fall [[year three), the second group of student-athletes would arrive on campus and varsity competition would commence. So, if we were able to make an announcement this coming summer, the Titans would take the field for varsity competition in 2012-2013 but there would be plenty of football activity each year leading up to that.

The University is currently exploring fundraising/sponsorship opportunities to fund the building of new football facilities. If we are able to secure funding for the project, I believe there will be great news coming out regarding Detroit Titan football.

For those of you who would like to see football return to the corner of West McNichols and Fairfield, there is nothing more important you can do than to go to the UDM basketball games, men's and women's, and to attend as often as possible.

What will convince the trustees of the University that it is time to make a serious attempt to restore football, is to see crowds of people streaming out of Titan games at Calihan on a regular basis. If we can't convince a couple thousand people a week to see a game at what Mitch Albom once called the best place in Michigan to watch a basketball game, then it would be financial folly for them to throw lots of money into a football team.

Tickets are cheap, the venue is awesome, three minutes from the Livernois exit off the Lodge. Tell 'em the Prof sent you.

As a student at the University support the basketball team and enjoy. However I have no desire to see football return to UDM, there are more worthwhile things the university could be investing in such as academics and proper building maintenance as well as trying to improve conditions in the neighborhood.