Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Diaspora

At a recent Hanukkah party with my girlfriend's family I was discussing with one of her cousins [[who I later found out taught Jewish studies) about the similarities between our 2 cultures, Jews and Detroiters [[or ex-Detroit if you like). We're both largely diasporic people, who meet our respective members at our own houses of worship. For jews this being a Synagog, for D.D maybe a sportsbars with a Redwings banner or a Lions helmet. Most of us only celebrate the high holidays [[Roshoshana, etc./Stanely Cup playoffs) remaining otherwise unrecognizeablle to the outside world the rest of the year. But we both identify with suffering [[ie. Lions) and know that true comedy comes out of sorrow [[once again Lions). Lastly and maybe most importantly like Jews who survived the holocaust, I think most members of the Detrtoit Diaspora are distingued by their deeply ingrained survivor guilt regardless of how well they do in their new homes.

I was wonder what others thought and what other D.D. communities are like and why they relocated there.

To get the ball rolling I live in San Francisco in the Mission district. There are 3 others ex-detroiter [[or metro detroiter) who live on my block with my sister living a block away. I probably know close to 100 other people who are also from metro detroit or Michigan in town. I am sure there are many more. None of my closest friends are form the area nor have any of my girlfriends. However I do have a group of friends from back there who I generally watch the Red Wings and Lions with at the Kilowatt Bar in the neighborhood [[the always have at least one television tuned into the games) and a few other friends I go to the Tiger games with when the team is out here.

Why I came out here was just a whim in my mid-20s. What has kept me here a several things but 3 very important things are:
    1. There is work. Regarless how bad the economy is here it is better than most other places.

2. I work outdoors [[landscaper/arborist) and can do my chosen profession 12 months of the year instead of 9 months with 3 months of shoveling snow.

3. I am a cyclist. Though I have a couple of trucks for my business when I am not working I am mostly getting around by bicycle, including on my vacations. Here I can easly bike all over town, generally faster than a car or mass transit and I can get out of town easily through a combination of mass transit and bike. It makes for getting away for a short or long bike camping trip very easy and enjoyable.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the Forum. A large percentage of members of this forum are Detroit diasporians. There are members from every large metropolis in US and many from abroad.