Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default So goes Detroit...

...so goes the state?

Michigan's population drops below 10M

The July 1, 2009, population estimate shows the state lost an estimated 32,759 people, the fourth consecutive year the population fell. Only Maine and Rhode Island saw their population go down in the last year.
    Michigan has been bleeding people since 2005, and at the heart of the decline has been the growing exodus of people moving out looking for work. The current estimate puts Michigan's population at 9,969,727, down from 10,002,486 in 2008. The state has seen a net loss of more than a half-million people to other states since 2001 -- a number that swamps the natural increase from a greater number of births than deaths.
    http://detnews.com/article/20091223/...rops-below-10M

no. more like...so goes our one industry so goes Michigan. If auto and manufacturing sectors never went into the toilet, Michigan would be humming right along. oakland county would still be fine... Macomb county would be fine. and Detroit would still be a desert.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    no. more like...so goes our one industry so goes Michigan. If auto and manufacturing sectors never went into the toilet, Michigan would be humming right along. oakland county would still be fine... Macomb county would be fine. and Detroit would still be a desert.
    General Motors sold more cars in 2007 than it ever has in its 100 year history, yet Michigan was still losing jobs and people.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    General Motors sold more cars in 2007 than it ever has in its 100 year history, yet Michigan was still losing jobs and people.
    Worldwide...maybe, but their US market share dropped and their sales HERE dropped 7% which resulted in continued loss of production jobs HERE. Further, Michigan never really recovered from the 2001 recession. But since we're talking about GM ...the last year GM DID have an increase in domestic auto sales was in '99. Domestically they sold over 5 million cars. Last year they sold less than 2 million. The boom 90's resulted Michigan crossing the threshold of 10 million people. How'd Detroit do?
    Last edited by bailey; December-23-09 at 11:35 AM.

Didn't somebody say "you'll be blown away?" I guess they meant to another state!

Good point, Bailey. Domestic sales have been down. Plus, during this period, I bet the percentage of GM's vehicles made in America compared to its total production has gone down dramatically as well. There are several causes of this [[some of which will vary, depending on your political persuasion), but the fact remains that even if the auto industry rebounds, Michigan will not be like it once was, as the auto industry has changed permanently. The state needs to attract new kinds of industry and business.

Worldwide...maybe, but their US market share dropped and their sales HERE dropped 7% which resulted in continued loss of production jobs HERE. Further, Michigan never really recovered from the 2001 recession. But since we're talking about GM ...the last year GM DID have an increase in domestic auto sales was in '99. Domestically they sold over 5 million cars. Last year they sold less than 2 million. The boom 90's resulted Michigan crossing the threshold of 10 million people. How'd Detroit do?
    Michigan did not cross the 10 million population threshold because of the domestic automakers. It's very debatable that it was even the population of southeast Michigan that propelled Michigan over the 10 million person mark, since the population in the region has been virtually stagnant for 30 years [[AND the domestic automakers haven't really increased their U.S. workforce in decades).

But the heart of the discussion is that Michigan for some reason cannot attract another industry besides the automotive industry. And well, that's when Michigan's trajectory becomes tied to that of its flagship city...
    Last edited by iheartthed; December-23-09 at 12:44 PM.

It will be interesting to see how many representatives Michigan loses in Congress after the census next year.

Michigan did not cross the 10 million population threshold because of the domestic automakers. It's very debatable that it was even the population of southeast Michigan that propelled Michigan over the 10 million person mark, since the population in the region has been virtually stagnant for 30 years [[AND the domestic automakers haven't really increased their U.S. workforce in decades).

But the heart of the discussion is that Michigan for some reason cannot attract another industry besides the automotive industry. And well, that's when Michigan's trajectory becomes tied to that of its flagship city...
    It can't attract business because of the perception that it's a state that is hostile to business, run poorly in general, and dominated by intransigent unions. However, in the rare occasion when a new sector is created or when there is new business...such as the movie industry, where do they set up shop? Allen Park or Detroit?

It can't attract business because of the perception that it's a state that is hostile to business, run poorly in general, and dominated by intransigent unions. However, in the rare occasion when a new sector is created or when there is new business...such as the movie industry, where do they set up shop? Allen Park or Detroit?
    Would the movie industry even be considering Michigan without Detroit?

Most Chevrolets are made in Korea, I asume... Rebranded Daewoos....

bartock Guest

Would the movie industry even be considering Michigan without Detroit?
    Yes, yes it would. 40 to 42 cents on the dollar is why.

I could not disagree more. The thousands of Oakland County young adults leaving the state each year has more to do with no healthy big city in this state, not the auto industry...speaking for me and many of my friends who grew up in Oakland County and left the state.

I think young people leaving has a bit to do with the lack of jobs for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by lo_to_d View Post
    I could not disagree more. The thousands of Oakland County young adults leaving the state each year has more to do with no healthy big city in this state, not the auto industry...speaking for me and many of my friends who grew up in Oakland County and left the state.
    In my case the primary factor was the weather. I was born and raised in Michigan, then started a lengthy career with Chrysler. Believe me, I was staying ONLY for the compensation package I knew couldn't be matched elsewhere, with every intention of being on a southbound plane within minutes of getting my gold retirement watch. I used to spend at least 270 days a year cursing the clouds and or rain and or snow and or ice and or cold.

Once I got laid off, knowing I wasn't going to find anything matching my Chrysler package anyway, I refused to even consider Michigan as an option. I was never happier than the day I threw away my snow shovels for good and headed to Arizona, and I've got the drivers' license photo to prove it.

There isn't a compensation package or tax break or anything else any employer or politician could offer me that would convince me to give up the ability to wake up every morning with 99 percent confidence that I'll have a gorgeous day and not even have to put on a jacket to enjoy the wonderful outdoors.