Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Anything helps. I could see Detroit becoming a hub for medical marijuana. It is a two-way street. If the city were as accepting of marijuana as they were for strip clubs and liquor stores, it could be a big taxpayer.

Lorax Guest

Excellent idea, and I support legalizing it in all it's forms. Especially hemp.

Time for America to grow up and stop feeding the PIC [[Prison Industrial Complex) with marijuana users/dealers.

Detroit could benefit greatly from a 'green zone' ala Amsterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The whole USA could benefit greatly from a 'green zone' ala Amsterdam.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Oddly enough, Amsterdam's liberal-dominated city council is in the process of trying to close down a fifth of its marijuana cafes, and a third of its prostitution windows. Too much of a good thing. lol
    Last edited by MichMatters; December-23-09 at 01:14 AM.

Lorax Guest

We've been trying to shut down our monolithic for-profit "health care" corporations as well, but have failed. Too much of a bad thing is so much better for us.

Legalize marijuana and create a new revenue stream we can all benefit from.

For anyone who is wondering, that Beal Buidling is this building...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.000912&z=20

Last edited by artds; December-23-09 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Excellent idea, and I support legalizing it in all it's forms. Especially hemp.

Time for America to grow up and stop feeding the PIC [[Prison Industrial Complex) with marijuana users/dealers.
    Thats all in your paranoid head. What percent of our prison population is there for marijuana usage? Heck, what percent is there for dealing marijuana?

Just like speeding, its a joke to think the laws are designed to stop it. They're designed to maximize the revenue from it. I'm not so sure the taxes you'd get from legalizing it would offset the fines you get from making it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Anything helps. I could see Detroit becoming a hub for medical marijuana. It is a two-way street. If the city were as accepting of marijuana as they were for strip clubs and liquor stores, it could be a big taxpayer.
    LOL! yes 8 mile looks SOOOOO wonderful as you drive it. I think they built those after watching the Flintstones driving scenes where the backdrop just keeps looping over and over and over...

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Thats all in your paranoid head. What percent of our prison population is there for marijuana usage? Heck, what percent is there for dealing marijuana?

Just like speeding, its a joke to think the laws are designed to stop it. They're designed to maximize the revenue from it. I'm not so sure the taxes you'd get from legalizing it would offset the fines you get from making it illegal.
    Try this on for size, Mr. Paranoia:

http://skeptically.org/recdrugs/id8.html

or how about this:

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/mar...-prison-system
    or this:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...schlosser.html

or this:
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/census...aprisonpop.htm

or perhaps this, my personal favorite and easy to read for those of you who are challenged:

http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/53

Why is it that Republicant's have such a problem with facts? With reading? With the truth?

Gosh I hate to be Debbie Downer on this topic as I am for legalization but, just how long will it be before we read on the front page some savages went in there with guns blazing and killed these people just to rob them for some plants.

Sorry, but its a likely scenario no one has brought up.

Ok, again Lorax, I'm not a Republican and I know marijuana arrests are high, but that doesn't necessarily translate into high incarceration rates. Traffic offenses are also high. Government constantly creates enormous inefficiencies by disguising taxes as fees and fines, but for some reason the disguise works.

That's why unlike die hard liberals or die hard conservatives, I am completely persuaded by facts and your PBS link persuaded me. Most to the point, "about one out of every six federal inmates is in federal prison for marijuana."

Certainly Detroit could use a comeback industry, but why out of all options pick something that's currently illegal?

Marijuana certainly has its medical usages, but in the meantime, why pound heads against the wall bemoaning the fact that it hasn't been legalized yet? Medicine and allied health fields provide numerous opportunities in a number of ways that are already legal. By providing an attractive business climate, certainly Detroit should be able to attract one or more medicine-related employers in areas that are already legal and accepted.

Detroit should be the Midwest Hub for Maijuana/Canabis industry and culture.

- Dispensiaries located throughout the neighborhoods. Especially in warehouses.
    - Marijuana District... form a district of storefronts and businessesS related to cannabis. Grow-ops, accesories, coffee shops, book stores, and hydro stores. On the upper levels of buildings could be law offices specializing in cannabis, and offices for weed buisinesses. Above that can be apartments.
    A 24/7 district we can the "Amsterdam Midwest"
    - Grow-ops of all sizes and types-- soil/hydo, indoor/outdoor. Farms producing commercial hemp. - Everything powered by solar and wind energy to show marijuana is truely a GREEN industry
    - Trade schools located in the city to train and educate workers to grow and work in the industry
    - Conferences at COBO... High Times Cannabis Cup Midwest???