Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Detroit books

Default Detroit books

This thread is for people to post their collections of Detroit books.

Here is mine:
    AIADetroit- The American Institute of Architects Guide to Detroit Architecture
    Detroit Then and Now

Arcadia:
    General Motors- a Photographic History
    Detroit 1860-1899
    Detroit's Michigan Central Station
    Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne
    Detroit's Corktown
    Motor City Mafia- A Century of Organized Crime in Detroit

Postcard History Series- Detroit's Historic Hotels and Restaurants

Buildings of Detroit 1st Edition
    Buildings of Detroit Revised Edition [[signed by William Hawkins Ferry)
    AIA Guide
    Leonard Willeke Excellence in Arcitecture and Design [[signed the author Thomas W. Brunk)
    Detroit now and then
    Detroit American Urban Renaissance
    Detroit Renewing the Dream
    Diego Rivera The Detroit Industy Murals
    The Catholic Church in Detroit, 1701-1888
    When Detroit Rode the Rails Volumes 1-4
    When Detroit Rode the Waves
    The Legacy of Albert Kahn
    Hudson's Hub of America's Heartland
    Catholic Churches of Detroit
    Buildings of Michigan
    The Pewabic Pottery
    Smith Hinchman & Grylls 125 Years of Architecture and Engineering, 1853-1978
    Home in Detroit
    Detroit's Downtown Movie Palaces
    Forgotten Detroit
    Hydroplane Racing in Detroit
    The City of Detroit Michigan 1701-1922 Volumes 1-4
    Packard The History of the Motor Car and the Company 1st Edition #3947
    History of the Purple Gang
    300 Plus books on Detroit based Automobile Manufacturers
    Numerous books on the Detroit Metropolitan area and Michigan

smudge pot Guest

Just one, and it's awesome, and it's oversized, and it's around here somewhere ... The Detroit Free Press published a massive collection of front pages [[except once they did a movie page from the forties, a billion theaters showing movies, including the Grande). Crappy pre-computer reproduction, though.

I have that book Smudge. You are correct about the poor reproduction and of course the tiny size of the printing. Tough to shrink a full size newspaper down to 11 x 17.

Couldn't agree about it being the only book to own about Detroit, but it is a good thing to have as it gives you a sense of the zeitgeist. The mark of modern folks is to see the past through the lense of contemporary sensiblities, thereby distorting the actual historical incident.

I believe the book was a premium for buying something else like a Channel 56 membership or DIA or some such thing.

In addition to some of the books already mentioned, I own [[or have borrowed) the following titles:

"Emergence and Growth of an Urban Region - the Developing Detroit Urban Area, Vols. 1-3", by Constantinos A. Doxiadis, The Detroit Edison Company, 1970,

"The Force of Energy - a Business History of the Detroit Edison Company", by Raymond C. Miller, MSU Press, 1971 [[borrowed)

"100 Years A Home - the History of the Evangelical Homes of Michigan and the Zoar Society", by Lowell R. Schrupp, The Evangelical Homes of Michigan, 6700 West Outer Drive, Detroit, MI 48235, 1979. [[56 page pamphlet)

"Good Moanin' - the Best of Bob Talbert", Bob Talbert, The Detroit Free Press, 1984

"Make Straight the Path: a 300 Year Pilgrimage", Roman Godzak, Archdiocese of Detroit, 2000

"General Motors Priorities and Focus - Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow", General Motors University, Detroit, MI, 2000

"From Soupy to Nuts - a History of Detroit Television", Tim Kiska, Momentum Books, 2005

"A Motor City Year", John Sobczak, Wayne State Press, 2009

At one time, I owned a copy of "American Odyssey" by Robert Conot, but I must have loaned it to someone and it never came back. It's a very good book.
    Last edited by Mikeg; December-26-09 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added the Talbert book

I've got some oddball books written by Detroit media personalities, like

An autographed copy of The Vagabond Trail by George Pierrot
    An autographed copy of The Charm Kitchen Cookbook by The Lady of Charm
    An autographed copy of Ricky the Clown's autobiography
    An autographed copy of Soupy Sales' autobiography
    An autographed copy of Not This Time, Cary Grant!! by Shirley Eder
    An autographed copy of Think Big by Dick Beals [[Beals grew up in Detroit and was on The Lone Ranger at WXYZ before becoming the voice of Speedy Alka_Seltzer)
    Autographed copies of a couple of Sonny Eliot's books
    Good Morning Detroit, autographed by Marilyn Turner
    Toby "Captain Jolly" David's unpublished memoirs
    A manuscript of a how-to book on ventriloquism by Ted "Sagebrush Shorty" Lloyd, along with about 50 letters of rejection from publishing houses.
    W*Y*X*I*E Wonderland by Dick Osgood
    Former WWJ-TV station manager Don F. DeGroot's autobiography

Please excuse me for taking the easy way out

Attachment 4508

Attachment 4509

Attachment 4510

Not Books per say, But still paper goods about the "D"

Attachment 4511

And a few Detroit related toys, With the newly added Milk Truck! Thanks Ed!

Attachment 4512

Attachment 4513

I wish we could have made a little Milky the Clown to go with the truck, but that would have driven the price way up.

Ragtoplover59, your posts # 8 and # 9 made me laugh. Witty and creative you are.

"Devil's Night And Other True Tales of Detroit" by Zev Chafets

The Detroit Almanac is a good one.

Also some of the Michellaneous series by Gary W. Barth is entertaining [[if you like the whole Book of Lists style format)-along with his Mich-Again's Day. They can be found at John K. King on the first floor, and they are guaranteed to be mostly about Detroit.

The Execution of Private Slovik

Any of the Images of America series are decent [[I once knew someone who did one on the Train Station).

"Detroit: City of Race & Class Violence" by Widick

"A Hanging in Detroit"

"So You Love Tiger Stadium, Too"

"We Almost Lost Detroit"

"Detroit: I Do Mind Dying"

-all fairly available titles.

The Sugar House by Jean Scheffler

Got an Images of America one on the Downtown Hudson's building because I use to work there.
    I have a few about Joe Louis. Does fiction count, because I have books by Elmore Leonard, Kienzel, Estelman, and Rob Kantner?

I bought the Purple Gang book by Kavieff at the Book Beat, only to find out it was poorly edited and would repeat entire pages word-for-word in different areas. It had some good facts, but i just think it could've been done better.

Margaret Truman's "Murder at the White House" mentions Detroit many times.