Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where to Buy Kobe Beef

I've been looking to buy fresh kobe beef, but not in a huge quantity like a whole loin, just like a few steaks. I researched online & found only 2 places somewhat in the area. One is a wholesale place in Eastern Market that sells in the large portions. The other is a butcher shop in Jackson. Does anyone know of any place in the metro area that carries it?

Have you thought about asking some of the local Japanese restaurants locally to see if they'll sell you a smaller portion? Or maybe they would have an option. Good luck!

Noble Fish?

Give Papa Joe's a call. They may have some. I got a kobe beef sandwich from them once:
    http://www.papajoesmarket.com/index.php

"Our highly trained staff will produce any specialty cut for you and you’re guests, Standing rib roast, Chateaubrion, Crown Roast of Pork, Kobe Beef steaks. An unbelievable array of specialty, in-house made sausages and uniquely marinated kabobs, ready for your grill."

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I've been looking to buy fresh kobe beef, but not in a huge quantity like a whole loin, just like a few steaks. I researched online & found only 2 places somewhat in the area. One is a wholesale place in Eastern Market that sells in the large portions. The other is a butcher shop in Jackson. Does anyone know of any place in the metro area that carries it?
    Lots of luck, I have a hard time around here even finding prime steaks. There's a lot of that Certified Angus stuff around, but that ain't prime. Goes down pretty good though ,cooked over charcoal ONLY, medium please.

Last time I was out there, Hiller's Markets sold prime quality beef, though you'll pay a pretty penny for those finely marbled cuts! Mmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Give Papa Joe's a call. They may have some. I got a kobe beef sandwich from them once:
    http://www.papajoesmarket.com/index.php

"Our highly trained staff will produce any specialty cut for you and you’re guests, Standing rib roast, Chateaubrion, Crown Roast of Pork, Kobe Beef steaks. An unbelievable array of specialty, in-house made sausages and uniquely marinated kabobs, ready for your grill."
    Found it there. Thanks RO.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Last time I was out there, Hiller's Markets sold prime quality beef, though you'll pay a pretty penny for those finely marbled cuts! Mmmmm!
    You're right, very price. I found the kobe at Papa Joes thanks to RO Res. It was for a Christmas meal though. It isn't something I would normally purchase.

Article in todays Freep, on Kobe beef. Life section page 2 D