Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default This Is Exactly Why Metro Detroit's Future IS Doomed

What can you do to save the region when there's so much stupidity spreading across the area [[note the location of several posters)...?

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=15944
    Last edited by 313WX; December-21-09 at 05:46 PM.

I say, let them be stupid. Failure is viral, and most people love to dish out negative flames. Yet success can be viral as well.

There are a lot of problems to overcome - our energy and focus should be on forward progress. Show positive results and the conversation will change.
    Last edited by Brainiac; December-21-09 at 05:57 PM.

What idiots, we have to do what we can to turn the city around and prove people wrong.

Retroit Guest

I thought this was quite pertinent:

"It would better the city if people stopped being offended about the facts and started seriously doing something about it."

And yet I bet these same people in teh middle of that parade were claiming Detroit's their comeback city when the Red Wings won back in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

"It would better the city if people stopped being offended about the facts and started seriously doing something about it."
    To be honest, people in the city wouldn't feel so offended if there wasn't so much fallacy in their blind opinions.

It would also be nice if some people [[like you or her) recognized the good that many in the city are doing as opposed to writing off the city and all the residents [[even those that do a lot to improve their communities)

Sticking up for one extreme [[the ignorant woman posting on that board) is pretty hypocritical when you condemn people for doing the same thing [[but at the opposite extreme) on this board.

Many of the posts on that thread seemed to be from people who are barely literate. So I guess mass illiteracy is not just a City of Detroit problem.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    It would also be nice if some people [[like you or her) recognized the good that many in the city are doing as opposed to writing off the city and all the residents [[even those that do a lot to improve their communities)
    I think that's what the statement means: If people want to improve their city, they need to do something to improve it.

Sticking up for one extreme [[the ignorant woman posting on that board) is pretty hypocritical when you condemn people for doing the same thing [[but at the opposite extreme) on this board.
    When did I ever condemn someone for getting involved in helping their community?

From what I see in detroit, a lot of people do what they can but at the same time there are people who dont want to share the "exposure" I would say to help the ones who are wanting to do the same thing. Then there's the ones who still money from those who are helping lol so the problem is Detroit wants to get fix but everybody wants the fame individually, please let me know if I'm wrong so I could use that quality information
    Last edited by Evandor Gordon; December-21-09 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Many of the posts on that thread seemed to be from people who are barely literate. So I guess mass illiteracy is not just a City of Detroit problem.
    What's scary is one of the posters is supposedly a 4.0 freshman at University of Detroit Mercy.

Lord help us all if our children are all like him.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Evandor Gordon View Post
    From what I see in detroit, a lot of people do what they can but at the same time there are people who dont want to share the "exposure" I would say to help the ones who are wanting to do the same thing. Then there's the ones who still money from those who are helping lol so the problem is Detroit wants to get fix but everybody wants the fame individually, please let me know if I'm wrong so I could use that quality information
    I think it is rather the opposite. I don't think there are enough people who want the recognition, shared or not, for improving the city. In fact, I think it is a shameful "secret" that it is not acceptable among many of Detroit's residents to improve their community.

I think it is rather the opposite. I don't think there are enough people who want the recognition, shared or not, for improving the city. In fact, I think it is a shameful "secret" that it is not acceptable among many of Detroit's residents to improve their community.
    Yes, please enlighten us more about each and every one of the 900,000 residents of Detroit that you know personally.

smudge pot Guest

Detroit is what it is, and we are proud of it because of what it is. I remember Coleman. He could be nasty, but he was a man of his time, and no different from, and an admirer of, Orville Hubbard. Pay no mind to those who do not know, and don't be shy in casually mentioning that you're from Detroit. They get it. And if you have problems in Detroit, you're going to have the same problems in any other big city. Take it from The Kid: Savvy-up.

andybsg Guest

Wow, this thread clearly demonstrates the only reason, if any, that Detroit will never rise again. The attacks on Retroit for saying he agrees with the statement that people should stop taking offense at the truth are mindboggling. His proposal appears to be that these people instead devote their energy to correcting problems and accentuating what are the clear positives. That is exactly the attitude the city needs to begin moving forward. While the attitude demonstrated by several neanderthalish posters is exactly the attitude that he was addressing and it is exactly the attitude that holds Detroit back.
    Last edited by andybsg; December-21-09 at 10:30 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

As I walk through the valley in the shadow of the brightly lit GM logo, I understand that many do not understand the current events of our time. I know that these people with so much negativity to spew forth, are the same people who are fighting to sustain the unsustainable; fighting tooth and nail to maintain the systems that have, so far, got all of us into a towering heap of trouble.

These people don't see the world or their lives in reality.

Put simply,

These people don't see a relatively young city, strategically positioned in possibly the most sustainable region in the world, that has already faced the excruciating hardships and contraction that almost all other U.S. cities are about to face. More importantly, these people fail to notice the canary in the coalmine was Detroit. They are the hand laughing at the lungs for having cancer, and have no clue what they are about to go through.

I have more than a little pity for our right hand's ignorance.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andybsg View Post
    Wow, this thread clearly demonstrates the only reason, if any, that Detroit will never rise again. The attacks on Retroit for saying he agrees with the statement that people should stop taking offense at the truth are mindboggling. His proposal appears to be that these people instead devote their energy to correcting problems and accentuating what are the clear positives. That is exactly the attitude the city needs to begin moving forward. While the attitude demonstrated by several neanderthalish posters is exactly the attitude that he was addressing and it is exactly the attitude that holds Detroit back.
    I disagree.

Retroit and others really like to point out how so many Detroit residents don't do enough, yet fails to acknowledge the situation that many Detroiters are in, which isn't exactly a position to change very much. How can a single mother of three, for example, or even a single male, change much when they are forced to be bussed out of a corrupt city hierarchy, an hour, into a minimum wage job at Great Lakes Crossing? Retroit, and others fail to also acknowledge that a number of Detroiters are the default owners of the city by the people who have thrown it away and left.

That isn't to even mention that even if all of Detroit's residents were wealthy upper middle class-men, they still would be inhabiting a city with half it's intended population.

andybsg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I disagree.

Retroit and others really like to point out how so many Detroit residents don't do enough, yet fails to acknowledge the situation that many Detroiters are in, which isn't exactly a position to change very much. How can a single mother of three, for example, or even a single male, change much when they are forced to be bussed out of a corrupt city hierarchy, an hour, into a minimum wage job at Great Lakes Crossing? Retroit, and others fail to also acknowledge that a number of Detroiters are the default owners of the city by the people who have thrown it away and left.

That isn't to even mention that even if all of Detroit's residents were wealthy upper middle class-men, they still would be inhabiting a city with half it's intended population.
    I don't know Retroit's postings well enough to agree or disagree with you, I am pretty new here. You may be right. But I do know that looking at this thread only it appears that he was jumped on when he really didn't say anything that is that far out of line.

Uh yeah, sure. Retroit is such a visionary. No one has EVER said before that something needs to change with Detroit. Nope, never ever heard it before ever. Devote energy to fixing problems. Wow, the secret to life has been discovered. Us minions would never have figured that one out! THANKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To be honest, people in the city wouldn't feel so offended if there wasn't so much fallacy in their blind opinions.
    What did you say? Huh? Is this supposed to pass as an intelligent comment?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    What did you say? Huh? Is this supposed to pass as an intelligent comment?
    The fact of the matter is those people in that link I posted above [[and Retroit) pretend as if their white bred townships are free of imperfections. In fact, I was shocked when that same woman said in other thread "the end of innocence" was when someone was robbed in broad daylight of a check. Do that whacko lady not realize the unemployment rate in this region is approaching 25%? People are getting desperate and they will do any and everything to survive in this shit storm, no matter where one live. Pretending that things like that could only happen in the war zone of Detroit is at best delusional. They refuse to realize however that whatever ahppens in Detroit proper will still impact them negatively [[even if tehy don't feel it directly). Majority of the federal money Michigan gets is compliments of Detroit. The "Us vs. Them" mentality gets us nowhere. The city council's clown antics is no better than Jim Fouts or L. Brooks Patterson's "Fuck you all" divisive politics. We're all in this together and trying to isolate ourselves from one another just sends us further into oblivion.

I think that's what the statement means: If people want to improve their city, they need to do something to improve it.

When did I ever condemn someone for getting involved in helping their community?

It's not a matter of you condemning anyone for getting involved, it is a matter of you lumping all citizens of Detroit into a single bucket of indifference/doing nothing.

Disagree all you will but I can't seem to find any posts of yours that give credit to anyone doing anything positive in the city. Instead you have your clever little gems like this"

"Detroit: A city whose inhabitants refuse to take responsibility for their failures and blame everyone else instead."

I agree with the quote but you have to consider his entire body of work.
    The issue with his attitude and those of the woman referenced in the original post is that they completely ignore those that do something positive and instead focus only on the negative. Stating one extreme is correct while condemning the other extreme is pure hypocrisy.

Really, can you give some detail of first hand experiences? Also can you quantify how many Detroit residents you speak of? 10%, 50% or areyou just throwing out your 'theories'

I'm not sure what circles you spend your time in but the people I know are very willing and happy to give credit and reward those that work to improve the city. This goes for the downtown/midtown crowd as well as people in the neighborhoods themselves.

Weather and Bad stuff about Detroit on the same site?. Kinda like seeing the ruins of Detroit in Hot Rod Magazine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast