Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Virg Bernero run for Governor

He was on Chuck Stokes show talking about a possible run. I think he could give Cherry a run for his money on the Dems side.

ccbatson Guest

Who cares? A lib is a lib. Michigan needs to wake up and change course radically [[iow...not a lib).

Virg ought to run for president. I'd vote for him. The only politician that says it like it is.

I like what I see. He seems to be very popular in Lansing. But could he carry the rest of Michigan? In state legislature he did some good work in the areas of employee rights and mental health services.

Cherry doesnt have a chance in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I like what I see. He seems to be very popular in Lansing. But could he carry the rest of Michigan? In state legislature he did some good work in the areas of employee rights and mental health services.

You're right Virg would need time to up his political profile especially in S.E. Michigan however I think people would like him once he became better known. The choice we have now on the Dems side doesn't excite me at all.

What does he stand for? I don't know much about the guy but he's getting a lot of praise in this thread.

Honestly, I think we need a good Republican to get this ship right. Notice, the bolded word is "good." While I'm a moderate that tends to lean to the left, you can go too far left. I think right now Michigan is going too far left with Detroit way out in outer space left field. Maybe we need to jerk to the right so we'll end up where we really should be which is center.

ccbatson Guest

Dick Devos would be a good candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    What does he stand for? I don't know much about the guy but he's getting a lot of praise in this thread.

Honestly, I think we need a good Republican to get this ship right. Notice, the bolded word is "good." While I'm a moderate that tends to lean to the left, you can go too far left. I think right now Michigan is going too far left with Detroit way out in outer space left field. Maybe we need to jerk to the right so we'll end up where we really should be which is center.
    Following that line of thinking, not being a republican, a good republican to me is one of the moderate republicans that reside over on the east side of the state. I'm not crazy at all about the more conservative, right-wing ones that reside on the west side of the state. That being said I believe the west side of the state is where the republican candidate is going to come from.

The problem with Granholm wasn't that she was too far left, she showed a lack of leadership at times. A lack of leadership can happen on both sides of the aisle.

With Bernero you are going to know where he stands and he is passionate with the positions he takes. He seems to be the type of leader Michigan could use right now.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post

Cherry just doesn't seem to have the charisma required.

What does he stand for? I don't know much about the guy .
    Here's a little bit of info about the guy, plus a video with Fox news which loves to bring him on for there point/counter point bits

http://www.examiner.com/x-11206-Detr...vernor-in-2010

LOL

that is hilarious

first, detroit's problems have nothing to do with right/left politics. second, michigan is very moderate.

third, I would vote for bernero in a heartbeat
    Last edited by rb336; December-22-09 at 12:38 PM.

ccbatson Guest

Rb??? Michigan isn't left-right partisan? How about Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    first, detroit's problems have nothing to do with right/left politics.
    Not in a strict Democrat/Republican sense. However, you can't seriously submit that Detroit's leadership over the last 40 years hasn't been extremely liberal in fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Here's a little bit of info about the guy, plus a video with Fox news which loves to bring him on for there point/counter point bits

http://www.examiner.com/x-11206-Detr...vernor-in-2010
    Thanks for the link. I still don't know where he stands on issues besides he is passionate about the UAW. He presented some good points and I do admire his passion, I'd like to know more about his stance on taxes, the business climate, fiscal responsibility, etc. Michigan is in a deep hole and really needs a great candidate to lead us out of it, not just someone to hold the spot for four years.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; December-22-09 at 09:17 PM.

Not in a strict Democrat/Republican sense. However, you can't seriously submit that Detroit's leadership over the last 40 years hasn't been extremely liberal in fashion.
    Sure I can. it has been, esp under coleman, a militant government, a very seperatist government. CAY was a strongman, giving lip service to liberalism, but not actually liberal. the state of the city has nada to do with liberal/conservative, and everything to do with a culture of corruption. San Francisco has had a FAR more liberal government for far longer, and it is a crown jewel of US cities. Ditto Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    first, detroit's problems have nothing to do with right/left politics.
    Other than the partisans that waste most of their time and lots of our money fighting over who gets possession of the football in the next quarter. Too bad we can't wake up and see that the left/right crap is just a football game to keep the masses at bay while the politicians make cash and enjoy the shared power.

And the idiots who speak in binary fashion that their "side" is better than the other "side" are more of a problem than anything else. I guess most people really are C students.

Right/left, black/white, city/suburb, old/new, lib/con, republican/democrat, christian/muslim, blah blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Other than the partisans that waste most of their time and lots of our money fighting over who gets possession of the football in the next quarter. Too bad we can't wake up and see that the left/right crap is just a football game to keep the masses at bay while the politicians make cash and enjoy the shared power.

And the idiots who speak in binary fashion that their "side" is better than the other "side" are more of a problem than anything else. I guess most people really are C students.

Right/left, black/white, city/suburb, old/new, lib/con, republican/democrat, christian/muslim, blah blah blah...
    AH !! I see you are one of the ones that has figured out the game !

ccbatson Guest

Maybe it isn't a partisan issue as is suggested...maybe it is just dirtball corrupt politicians who happen to be liberal Democrats with an agenda that is in lock step with the larger party that they belong too...mere coincidence.

I'm glad we got this debate going over whether Detroit's leadership is left-leaning or just corrupt or just corrupt people happen to be Democrats, yet I have still yet to get any information on Virg Bernero and his platform and why he'd make a good governor. After all, he is the subject of the thread, right? And I'm the one that's a "C" student even though I don't totally support either party.

ccbatson Guest

Bear in mind...if a is to b, and b is to c, then a is to c.

Detroit politicians are corrupt, Detroit politicians are liberal, liberal politicians are corrupt....just sayin

Detroit politicians are corrupt, Detroit politicians are liberal, liberal politicians are corrupt....just sayin
    Politicians [[both liberal and conservative) are corrupt. I'd rather debate the ideas than the people who failed to carry out the ideas. Actually, both are important. I just don't agree that because a person failed that automatically means the ideals they aligned with failed.

I'm glad we got this debate going over whether Detroit's leadership is left-leaning or just corrupt or just corrupt people happen to be Democrats, yet I have still yet to get any information on Virg Bernero and his platform and why he'd make a good governor. After all, he is the subject of the thread, right? And I'm the one that's a "C" student even though I don't totally support either party.

I understand where you are coming from, but remember he hasn't put his platform out there for the governors office.He has not officially made an annoucement that he would run. All we can determine at this time is based on what he might do, using his performance as mayor of Lansing and the state legislature as a guide. I believe the reason he is even looking at a governor's run at this time is because Obama's people feel that Cherry is un-electable and they don't want to give the republicans the governorship back without a fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Bernero

faulty logic, yet again, bats. you never fail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast