Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Wanted: 10/09 Hour Magazine

I know this is not a traditional thread but I missed the October issure of Hour magazine. I thought if somebody had an excellent condition copy they were ready to discard I would appreciate it. My knee surgeon is on the cover and would like to get a copy. I usually buy this local rag but I happened to miss this issue. As long as I am talking about it, does anyone else enjoy this magazine? Thank you in advance if you can help me out.

Thanks to Hour Detroit, I now know where to go if I ever need vaginal rejuvination. Other than an occasional interesting article by Richard Bak, the magazine is a waste of good trees.

There's a bunch of them in the laundry room...I'll see if that issue is there.

Did you try calling them? They may have back issues available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Thanks to Hour Detroit, I now know where to go if I ever need vaginal rejuvination. Other than an occasional interesting article by Richard Bak, the magazine is a waste of good trees.
    Dr. Berenholz? [[I know it is probably not spelled correctly) But I have joked about that many times!

I'm right there with Ed, As I am not in the market for a $45,000 kitchen remodel, cosmetic surgery, overpriced ladies frocks or BH/GP real estate I don't find much in it beyond Richard Bak's contributions. I usually see it in the doctor's office waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    I'm right there with Ed, As I am not in the market for a $45,000 kitchen remodel, cosmetic surgery, overpriced ladies frocks or BH/GP real estate I don't find much in it beyond Richard Bak's contributions. I usually see it in the doctor's office waiting room.
    Ah, alright. Might as well close down the magazine then. I've been a subscriber for years, but I can't afford a $45,000 remodel and I'm not really in the market for plastic surgery - should I cancel my subscription?

Hour Detroit is, in my opinion, a superb example of graphic design, full of interesting content, and does a good job of featuring Detroit and the suburbs. Besides, I like looking at what I can't yet afford - maybe some day my kitchen will be featured in the magazine.

And maybe someday I can afford to have my vagina rejuvinated.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Ah, alright. Might as well close down the magazine then. I've been a subscriber for years, but I can't afford a $45,000 remodel and I'm not really in the market for plastic surgery - should I cancel my subscription?

Hour Detroit is, in my opinion, a superb example of graphic design, full of interesting content, and does a good job of featuring Detroit and the suburbs. Besides, I like looking at what I can't yet afford - maybe some day my kitchen will be featured in the magazine.
    Having worked on the magazine in the past, thanks for noticing. Compare the attention to detail of this magazine to the error-filled rush job that is Ambassador. The only thing Ambassador has going for it is they are still shelling out big bucks for the nice paper. That won't last, as I don't think they've turned a profit yet, but of course they have deep pockets. Hour used to be on that kind of paper back in the day as well, but it's the first thing that gets cut.

Anyway, if you don't like the content, don't buy it, it's probably not directed at you. [[its certainly not directed at me) They've developed a brand that works by catering to a high-end demographic. They provide work to the creatives in the area, be they freelance writers or photographers or photo shoot stylists... And they've consistently won national awards in the city magazine category, so obviously are doing something right. They also publish books via their book publishing division "Momentum Books", so you can thank Hour for "From Soupy to Nuts" and many other Detroit related publications I've seen praised on here.

Oh, and Dr. "Barren Holes" Berenholz... Yeah, longest running joke in the office.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; December-21-09 at 11:30 AM.