Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oakman blvd

Default Oakman blvd

I have been a resident of Oakman Blvd near Dexter for 30 years and I am currently the newsletter editor for the Oakman Boulevard Community Association. We encompass Oakman from Woodrow Wilson to the Jeffries Fwy, Ewald Circle, Santa Rosa, Monica, Stoepel, Oakman Ct, Turner, Tuller and Fleet St. I am interested in Oakman's history, such as, former residents, street car, etc. I will share the information with current residents via the newsletter and at the monthly meeting. OAKMAN BLVD IS ALIVE AND PROSPERING.

Thanks

stinkbug Guest

Welcome to the board!

Welcome to the board and Go Oakman Blvd! I love positive stories and people doing stuff! Rock on!

Welcome and I'm glad to see you care so much about your neighborhood. Are the newsletters online?

Default Oakman Blvd

Thank you very much for the links about Oakman.

Default Yellow Pages Building

Proposed Development
    For the Bell Building
    Oakman Boulevard, Detroit Michigan

The historic Yellow Pages building is proposed to become the headquarters of the Neighborhood Services Organization [[NSO). NSO will move it’s administrative office and programs such as Older Adult Services, Addiction Treatment Services, and Emergency Telephone Services [[which operates 24/7) into the building. Their plans include relocating over 200 employees, a primary health clinic and to provide approximately 155 units of supportive housing for the homeless in the building.

The Bell Building will be available for use by the community. NSO has and will continue to assist Focus:HOPE as it works to revitalize the surrounding neighborhood. The NSO will also participate in community meetings and will work with the community on neighborhood security issues.

The Lutheran Child and Family Services of Michigan is planning to build a ”new residential development” on the south side of the street that will house young adults who have aged out of the foster care system.

A big boost for the area

Exciting stuff! We already have a thread on it though.

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread....=bell+building

The Michigan Bell Building at 828 Oakman was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 8 of this year.

Long-time Michigan Secretary of State Richard Austin lived on Oakman Blvd. for many years.

Hey JMITCHELL, we need to talk!
    I've got some information regarding the streetcar line and route that Robert Oakman was instrumental in building for his subdivision back during the teens and 1920's. The remnants of which still exist today through those center median islands that run for miles throughout his subdivision. Actually I''ve been planing for at least two years now to post at least a couple of articles on Oakman and his rail line, and the bus route that followed, on my Detroit Transit History website. But unfortunately I've been sidetracked to other areas on the site and haven't gotten around to it just yet. Meanwhile, maybe we can help each other out. If you're interested in contacting me you can reach me either via private message from this site or via the email addy posted throughout my website http://www.detroittransithistory.info/

Surprised there has't been a thread about Oakland Blvd before. While doing research for our history of The Village of Fairview I too amassed a large file on Robert Oakman who played a big part it its rise and demise. Much of it acquired from the Oakman family itself. Alas I only copied news articles related to Fairview. Our time line as a non profit historical society was to complete our history of Fairview, move on to the history of Grayhaven [[research 95% done) and do the history of Robert Oakman.

Off the top of my head: [[I haven't read those files in 4 years maybe). Robert never finished school but became a printers assistant, eventually founded his own newspaper based on his political and labor beliefs. That lasted a few years. On somewhat dicey memory, he became chief assistant to Mayor Hazen Pingree, which made it all the more surprising that he became the front man for the DUR.

Robert had during that time become interested in real estate speculation, made and lost a few fortunes. He had one brother name Milton who was a dentist who from time to time assisted with float loans for his deals. Robert's wife was called Mamie, they had no progeny. When in funds they gave lavishly to schools and orphanages

I'll split my post here since I hate to get timed out.
    Last edited by sumas; January-06-10 at 05:34 AM.

Milton had a son he named Charles [[hazy memory) but I believe he became a state senator. His son also Charles was the family I knew. Charles was an accountant, he died a few years back. His wife Marnie still lives but moved out of state and they had two daughters so the surname has died out.

During Robert's days with the DUR, his knickname was Wild Flower Bob. He was very very good friends with the Dodge brothers. Never a buddy of Ford, but he did broker the deal between Hendrie and Ford for the purchase of property which became the Highland Park Plant.

Know or have files to lots more but getting tired.

Thanks all for sharing info.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    .....he became chief assistant to Mayor Hazen Pingree, which made it all the more surprising that he became the front man for the DUR.
    Although the relationship later worked to Robert Oakman's advantage, it's kinda ironic that Oakman, who worked for Mayor Pingree, would later work for the DUR, the founders of which were arch rivals with the former mayor. It was because of the beloved Pingree's dispute with the streetcar companies over fares that set the mood for Detroiters to want to run the DUR company out of town. That sentiment against the private ownership of the streetcar lines lasted for 30 years until Mayor James Couzens was successful in taking over the company's city lines.

Oakman himself would also have problems with the city over the extended portion of the streetcar line that he built on his own south of Grand River. After the DSR take-over the city later agreed to reimburse him for his line.

Default Woodrow Wilson Street, formerly Oakman Blvd.

This Oakman thread leads me to another question.

I noticed that on Detroit street maps prior to 1930, that what's now Woodrow Wilson street, north of Webb, was known as Oakman Blvd., while most of what we know today as Oakman was, of course, Ford Highway [[Blvd). Am I correct in assuming then that the former Oakman Blvd was also connected to Robert Oakman? I wonder did he own land along that stretch of the city as well?

Default Oakman Blvd

We uncovered a slate walkway on the island in front of the Parkman Branch Library that has been completely covered by grass for years. We erected a plaque and dedicated it the "Waldo Beck Way" in honor of Waldo Beck, an Oakman resident, who passed a few years back. He was a relative of Mary Beck who was in Detroit politics.

Please forgive me for such hazy memories of files I haven't read in years. Oakman as a man, was more of interest to me than his business speculations. He was a man of immense complexity/complicity. He and the Dodge brothers drank and fought their way thru the bars. During his years with the DUR, he bribed and brawled his way to success, yet his yacht was called the Mamie O in honor of his wife whom he adored.

I sometimes wonder if Hazen [[who fought the private interests) didn't charge him to work from within the DUR as a plant to bring about their demise. It is also obvious, he saw no reason to acquire wealth on the way. If you know where tracks will be laid, why not buy up property in its path?

JMitchell, this is my old neighborhood!!! I'm curious, did you go to Bates Academy? If so, then we know each other...

Default Oakman Blvd

English - You probably know my daughter

Sounds great! I went to school with two young ladies surnamed Mitchell who lived on Oakman Blvd, back in the 1980s through the very early 1990s [[I graduated from Bates in '91).

I'd love to see what you do with the history of the old neighborhood. I always thought it had a lot of character and charm, and always wished that the Oakman Association did home tours like other upscale neighborhoods. Some of the homes are architecturally stunning, as is the Parkman Branch.

I have to agree with English. The homes and area are still stunning. Drove up that way this summer and I still remember thinking, WOW.

They were all custom built homes back then. Some were more recent than others along the street. Different type of architecture, more modern than the English Tudor style that you see on a lot of them.. None the less they were all well built homes.

My dad as a kid worked on the Mamie O,Robert Oakman's private steam yacht.His uncle Capt .Recor was in charge of the boat,

The yacht club on Belle Isle has three paintings of Bob. One on display and two in storage.

Robert owned the properties that abutted his line on Ford Highway [[later called Oakman Blvd) He always meant to turn the street car line over to the city but things did not turn out quite the way he meant it to. Eventually the city did buy it from him.

He was sued by area residents for failing to provide sidewalks, paving and city water hook ups.

Just prior to his death, he was feted by a realtor club as being the man who made Detroit what it became.

Depending on your read of history, he was a fool, a felon or a man of great vision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast