Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default New round of WDET changes; Ed Love cut way back

The Craig Fahle Show!?!?!? Ughh...I'm going to miss Detroit Today, a much better named show. Not that I don't like him, the current host of Detroit Today, but c'mon!!!

Agreed on the name. I'd also note that reruns of a local talk show in prime-time evening hours bespeak deep financial and creative difficulties.

...bad moves all around. I agree with Tex that the moves reveal deep financial woes, but I'd trade what they waste on "The Takeaway" for more Ed Love, Robert Jones or Larry McDaniel. Moreover, in many ways, having a show named after yourself [[Craig Fahle) reveals a level of hubris that has only been hinted at before. I wonder how Quinn Klienfeltter feels about this. The reason Craig Fahle was able to pull in the high level guests, was because of Quinn's rolodex.

Just gonna have to get a stronger antenae to pull in Ann Arbor.

Wow. Ed has been an untouchable institution. I wonder if his health is OK? I will really miss Folks Like Us, but I had a hard time listening to it on Sundays. And I could do without the Takeaway for sure.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-19-09 at 09:41 AM.

A plus side is that the reception on Michigan Radio at 91.7 has recently improved south of about Davison -- the U of Windsor station CJAM on 91.5 recently changed its frequency to 99.1, and that has really cleared the signal on Michigan Radio up. CJAM in turn is now easier to get in more of the metro area, and it has some interesting alternative and ethnic programming. Croatian Magazine, anyone?

To some extent they are going back to the schedule of a year ago, which I take as an admission that many of the changes they made at that time were failures.

What amazes me is their statement that they are going after younger viewers - which is great if you are a station that gets by on advertising revenue. But if you are a station that relies upon donations, most of your well-heeled donors are in their 40s and up [[note I said "most", which does not mean "all"), so to be intentionally throwing away a chunk of that audience will probably put them into more of a disastrous position than they already are.

I'm too far east to have a prayer of getting Ann Arbor... go CBC!

People, please, a little understanding is needed. WDET is simply trailblazing new ways to SUCK. And they happen to be excelling in their effort.

Rest in Peace, WDET.

- A former contributor.

If they allow Craig to do more music, especially LOCAL music, then I am happy they gave him space to grow.

Back when I was doing my HD-Radio survey in earnest, I caught a few of the shows he did there...and he really has a knack, backed by enthusiasm.

I am not happy to see Detroit Today go away, and since they kept the TakeAway I will continue to BE away before noon. I simply cannot take that Hockenberry fellow, his grating personality taints the rest of my day. While I'm happy that Celeste Headley has a regular gig there, it would've been best to have HER doing her thing here.

She is a magnet for good things, and is wasting that gift balancing Hockenberry's bullshit attitude.

Cheers

And JOHN MOSIER is back...

I cannot believe they couldn't find an actual REAL name for that 'other' music show...as if they are trying to see which host's essentials are better. I am all for Ann Delisi's continued success...who is this other guy that gets TWO shows?

He must work cheap.

I think the takeaway is garbage. I like Celeste, and I'm glad she landed a big gig. Good for her. But I'm sick of shows that essentially repeat the New York and L.A. Times. I'll pick up the paper if I want it, but why should a national show repeat what's in the paper and treat local radio as if they were pay-stations? Oh, yeah, dress up the New York Times with neat little electronic noises? That'll bring in the youngsters. Sheesh ...

All that money that goes to national radio could stay right here, with great local news and music. Instead you get gameshows shoved down your throat, however clever.

lilpup Guest

Don't forget that WRCJ and WEMU are in the area, have jazz at night, and can be listened to online, as can Michigan Radio from Ann Arbor.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Don't forget that WRCJ and WEMU are in the area, have jazz at night, and can be listened to online, as can Michigan Radio from Ann Arbor.

Damn good points. Rcj is very good with almost all local programming.

I would agree that the return of Jon Moshier is a plus here.

A plus for hipster, suburban ~~~~~~~~~s.

that's the D to the O to the UCH, to the E to the B to the AGS.
    Last edited by chico; December-19-09 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    People, please, a little understanding is needed. WDET is simply trailblazing new ways to SUCK. And they happen to be excelling in their effort.

Rest in Peace, WDET.

- A former contributor.
    Didn't they get rid of Liz Copeland a few years ago? The coolest overnight dj evar!

I have always liked Ed Love's program. Sorry to see it moved.
    "Soul Sunday" sounds like it might be interesting, as long as it is not simply an oldies show. Soul music exists today, as then.
    The Takeaway seems to me like a high school production. Room for improvement, there!

Further destruction of a once great Detroit institution by people who seem to have no clue.

I'm glad Craig is back on at 10. I will miss deep river gospel.

I miss Chuck Horn on Fridays, from 10PM till 2, since were all feeling nostalgic.

Default Enough already!!!

I quit contributing back in 2005 when they did away with Martin Bandyke. Why do they feel a need to duplicate the programming on Michigan Radio? I have been able to tune that in as far north as Mt, Clemens and that's where my financial support has been going these past four years. I can't believe Ed Love is down to 2 nights. And no Car Talk?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I have always liked Ed Love's program. Sorry to see it moved.
    "Soul Sunday" sounds like it might be interesting, as long as it is not simply an oldies show. Soul music exists today, as then.
    The Takeaway seems to me like a high school production. Room for improvement, there!
    They had Willie doing soul music and they canned him. There wasn't much better than Willie.

The Craig Fahle Show????? What?

I don't see anything that says Detroit in many of the shows that were added. They added a few suburban guys, and a guy from Ann Arbor who has nothing to do with even metro Detroit, to play pop music one level above Brittany Spears, so we're supposed to be impressed with that because it's not insulting our intelligence. Guaranteed they will ignore Detroit's music legacy. Look what the managers did to Ed and Robert for a good predictor. The general manager was quoted as justifying the all music on the weekend as people wanting to have fun. Music is more relevant and much deeper to Detroiters than something to just have fun with. That statement right there shows how much they don't get this city. I guess public radio mission is about playing what's hot in the music charts. The station is finally, finally dead. RIP. The new management doesn't really know Detroit, doesn't care about what makes Detroit unique [[if they did they would get the music legacy here), and is just treating the station as another public station to fill with cookie-cutter syndicated programming originating in NYC that us low-lifes in loser Detroit will grow to like once we come out of our philistine funk. And I guess serving listeners with democracy-enhancing information is old school, according to the station director's other quote. Condescending. This is what we want leading our public radio station?
    Last edited by lafayette; December-20-09 at 10:33 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast