Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Just one afternoon

I only spent a few hours in Detroit, on a crazy road trip just before I moved to Seattle. It's one of the places in the 49 states I've seen that I never forgot.

I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee, WI. No one talked much about Detroit, so all I knew about it was "Respect," and mentions in old movie musicals. It shocked me and hurt my heart while I was there, because it was so beautiful even with broken windows, and the people we met were so nice. Coneys are more than mere hotdogs, and I had the biggest, most authentic Greek salad I've ever seen stateside. It's haunted me ever since, which morphed recently into fascination and active research.

I love the tour on this site - it's exactly what I was looking for. Someone mentioned something in the thread about King Solomon Church, about abandoned churches interesting them more than other buildings. I think that's because structures where a lot of energy is raised, like churches, theaters, stadiums, or hospitals, for example, absorb a lot of that energy. I think that's why some buildings seem alive, even when they're abandoned. Detroit is full of them, and I think that's why I see such love for it.

Detroit seems, in a way, like the broken heart of the Midwest. The whole region was running like a well-oiled machine for the industrial revolution. Your city revolutionized industry. But the works went out, and pollution piled up, and no one wanted to live in the cities anymore. I'm so glad that I grew up where I did, and experienced the rough streets of Milwaukee instead. But I got an impression of a camaraderie among even strangers in Detroit, which I hope was true for the most part because it inspired me.

It's terribly romantic in my mind by now, because the deeper I delve, the more dramatic it gets. I just want to send love to the city and people who love it. I don't really understand why Detroit specifically, but I want to see something great happen there again.

Thank you, Scratch! Seeing the beauty is a true gift.

Come visit again and see what else Detroit has to offer.

Lorax Guest

Welcome, Scratch, great post. And very much the impressions alot of people have on their first visit.

There is so much more to see, as Pam mentioned, so please come back at take a look- especially our cultural institutions, the DIA, DSO, DPL, MOT. All fantastic and worthy of a trip unto themselves!

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
    Gargles in the rat race choir
    Bent out of shape from society's pliers
    Cares not to come up any higher
    But rather get you down in the hole
    That he's in.

Bob Dylan It's Alright Ma, [[I'm Only Bleeding)

Scratch,

Thanks for the encouragement...funny how one positive post brings out the worst in those with blackened souls. Such is the contrast within our fair city.

The Spirit of Detroit is Real. It ain't just some statue downtown. Those with discernment can sense it, and that perception always lingers. Good analysis on the energy in buildings, it is probably related.

Thanks again, Scratch. Your next beer in Detroit is on me.

Fanstastic first post, Scratch. Keep visiting so you can see the changes!

I think we each have our own way to enjoy life and our city as part of it. Some people only seem to enjoy misery and want to share it with everyone. I love it when people want to share their joy.

Great post Scratch.

Come back soon and ignore the devil unless you plan on bringing your guitar and cutting heads for your soul.

Always nice to hear out of towners visiting and having a positive experience.

^ Detroit is a historic White American city, just as it has been a historic city for African Americans, Jewish Americans, Polish Americans, Iraqi Americans, Mexican Americans... the list goes on.

I do think that Detroit's racial polarization has perhaps another 10 years, maximum, before it peters out. The generation of young people in their 20s and younger don't get it and won't stand for it. Racists, nationalists, and supremacists of all colors will find that they're on the losing side of history. They're sort of like the people who were terrified of automobiles circa 1909-1910 and wanted to cling to the horse and buggy. Detroiters in 2100 will wonder what the h*ll our problem was.

That is a wonderful vision for the future, English.

English, I hope racial polarization, period, has another 10 years tops. It is a lot harder to judge, and be judged, by the content of your character, but that's the only way to get anywhere and be happy. Thinking in terms of black, white, gay, christian, etc. reduces people to concepts, or cookie-cutters them into one "basic" stereotype. One of my favorite parts of The Freedom Writers Diary says it all: "How the hell should I know what the black perspective is on Affirmative Action or The Color Purple? What is it, magic? Black people read, and poof, we miraculously come to the same conclusion? The only opinion I can give with some degree of certainty is my own."

People who preach and condemn really are just talking to themselves, and there's a huge difference between preaching and sharing. I'd just rather not feed into people who don't know what they're talking about.

English,
    Thanks for posting that. I've heard similar comments [[re: the decline of racial polarization) at readings for my novel [[Grand River and Joy)--especially as the number of biracial children increases. These children will blend the lines between the poles as they negotiate a host of identity issues. One man [[black and married to a white woman) at a reading said, "maybe not in our lifetime, and maybe not in our children's lifetime, but it's coming." It takes a long time to undo all that pain and bitterness though. For some people, it will never happen. Trust is fragile.

I agree with you both. It makes a difference when "they're" in your family.

Great post, Scratch. Like in your case, Detroit has captivated me, too. I grew up in New York, and will always consider that home, but I love Detroit. When people ask me why, I sometimes have difficulty explaining, but your post gets at some of the reasons. Detroit's appeal lies beyond its [[sometimes ragged) beauty, and lies most prominently in its history and its people, past and especially present.

Scratch...thank you. We are, for all intents and purposes so much more than what is seen on the news stories. We are, in a way, as you stated, "a broken heart in the Midwest". But, from that broken heart emerges decades and decades of memories. I can't count the times people have asked, "why don't you leave" or "why do you stay"? The question, to many outsiders seems valid. To those on the inside, the answer seems crystal clear. Detroit is who we are. Detroit, through all her broken windows and boarded up factories is almost a representation of its people. Yes, we have been boarded up and razed at times. But, we have also rebuilt. We are built of grit. The stories that flash across the news channels or national papers portray us as murderers and arsonists. That's not us [[although those "handfuls" have made us appear in a dimmer light). We are not the abandoned church buildings. We are the faith that was built inside them. We are not the forgotten car factories. We are the people who keep moving along the line, albeit in need of a little oil. We are not the razed pieces of architecture. We are the memories that stood in those places. We are not the bulldozed houses. We are the residents who share tears and spew venom everytime we see another crack house emerge. We are not the crime and corruption of some of our leaders. We want to make a difference. We typically don't throw pity parties. We are a resilient bunch. This forum shows the "connection" we have to our city. The city who has not quit on us. Scratch, thank you for getting a glimpse of what we see on a daily basis. Thank you for appreciating our beauty through your eyes. Godspeed, Detroit, Godspeed.

Beautifully said agirlintheD and scratch. You touched my heart.

Ravine Guest

It gives me no pleasure to state my opinion that racial polarization, around here, is getting worse, not better.

It's great to know that people outside the city and the state support Detroit.
    I always wonder what I would think of Detroit if I lived anywhere else in the U.S. I would probably ridicule it with "ghetto this" and "ghetto that" without even knowing what it's like there.
    I'm glad to say I'm from Detroit, and i don't really care what dissaproving look anyone from anywhere else gives me.
    Like I said, good to know someone from out the state supports the city. Visit again.