Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nasa reveals a first ever photo, liquid on another body

Dive into this one. I wonder if it's too cold to skinny dip there?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/1...ef=igoogle_cnn

Hope every one is feeling festivous tonight! As someone else around here once said, "Cheers".

Stosh Guest

The published accounts of the water found on that "super Earth" body are just as interesting. Although the water would be biling hot by some accounts, there are microbes here that are just fine living in superhot conditions. Who knows what's out there.

ccbatson Guest

I thought comets had lots of water. Wouldn't that disqualify this as a first ever?

I think they mean orbiting bodies. Its a great find as it stands.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    I thought comets had lots of water. Wouldn't that disqualify this as a first ever?
    No.

This is the first time outside Earth we've seen specular reflection from another liquid from another body," said Ralf Jaumann, a scientist analyzing data from the Cassini unmanned space probe.

Retroit Guest

This liquid is not water. The temperature of Titan is -291° F. Too cold for liquid water. Too cold for skinny dipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    This liquid is not water. The temperature of Titan is -291° F. Too cold for liquid water. Too cold for skinny dipping.
    Yes, says that in the article, too... but I don't think some people necessarily read what they respond at [at, not to].

ccbatson Guest

So, not liquid, possibly frozen water/ice...like comets.

Stosh Guest

Comets are not showing liquid. They are showing the ionized gas from the comet, and dust.

Who is too say that water and oxygen are the rule for life throughout the universe?

This maybe so for our little blue planet but not for the zillions of others out there.

I am open to the theory that different forms of life can be supported by different elements.

Retroit Guest

Yes, comets have ice. But this "reflecting pool" on Titan could not be frozen water [[like a lake that has just frozen over providing a reflective surface) because in order to get that flat reflective surface, the ice must have been a liquid prior to freezing. And Titan is too cold for water to be a liquid.

Still refusing to read before you post?

It states plainly in the article that it is liquid methane.

ccbatson Guest

Like in comets?

Retroit Guest

Like in comets?
    No. The methane on comets is frozen [[i.e. not liquid).

ccbatson Guest

Are you sure? All comets?

Stosh Guest

Are you sure? All comets?
    Your'e really full of it. Or of yourself. Either way same thing.

ccBat refusing once again to admit he made random comments without reading the article.

Retroit Guest

ccbatson Guest

So if the temperature is ever high enough [[as it may be during the travels of a comet approach other celestial bodies), ice may become liquid....interesting.

So if the temperature is ever high enough [[as it may be during the travels of a comet approach other celestial bodies), ice may become liquid....interesting.
    Still "objecting" to admitting he didn't read before he typed. Status quo.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Still "objecting" to admitting he didn't read before he typed. Status quo.
    How true. His whole point is stupid, to say the least. There's water on comets, no doubt about that. At some point in the comet's travels, it reaches 32 degrees, which is also correct. So yes, there is liquid water on comets.

BUT... is it observable in that state? No. Your comet's tail that is observable is the VAPORIZED water and other material that is outgassed by the comet.

Game.. Set...Match. You lose again batty. Stick to discussing things you know something about.

But then again if that were the case, you wouldn't have to post here.

All of our great scientists [[i.e.Hawkins,Neil DeGrasse Tyson) state that comets carry the elements we have come to know to support life and this includes water.

But again, this is life as we know it. This rule applies to our race.
    There may just be a species capable of living on Titan .
    Last edited by Alexis1; December-23-09 at 10:55 AM.

ccbatson Guest

My point is that this is not a "first ever" event.

My point is that this is not a "first ever" event.
    Yes, we know, and your point is incorrect. Read the article.

Blarf Guest

Cool discovery. Pretty cool a telescope can determine all of this. I need to me one of these thing.