Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's not minding the store but this is blasphemy!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8420053.stm

The infamous Arbeit Macht Frei sign at the entrance to the Auschwitz Nazi death camp in Poland has been stolen. The wrought iron sign, whose words mean "Work Sets You Free", was unscrewed and pulled down from its position above the gate in the early hours of Friday.
    Polish authorities denounced the theft, while Israel's Holocaust museum branded it an "act of war".
    More than a million people - 90% of them Jews - were murdered by the Nazis at Auschwitz during World War II.
    Investigators say at least two people would have been needed to steal the five-metre-long [[16ft), 40kg [[90lb) sign.
    The theft occurred between 0330 and 0500 local time on Friday, police spokeswoman Katarzyna Padlo told AP news agency.

[[Typo corrected.)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-18-09 at 11:36 PM.

damn scrappers..........

Blasphemy.

ccbatson Guest

An act of war? that takes it too far.

I saw this also. Who could it have been? Teenage pranksters? nazi sympathizers? Jewish people making a statement?

Who ever it was they should be ashamed of themselves.

This place should remain untouched for all of mankind to remember what we humans are capable of.

Retroit Guest

Heck, in Detroit, people steal Jesus statues off of churches.

...and the President probably never even found out about it.

Sign Stolen From Auschwitz Is Found

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: December 20, 2009
    Filed at 8:35 p.m. ET

WARSAW, Poland [[AP) -- Polish police found the infamous ''Arbeit Macht Frei'' sign that was stolen from the gate of the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz after an intensive three-day hunt and arrested five suspects, police said early Monday. The sign was found cut into three pieces.......

[read the rest]

Terrific news. Now all that is left is to find out why.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis1 View Post
    Terrific news. Now all that is left is to find out why.
    A "mad collector" gone mad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...collector.html

I expect next someone will try to dismantle and sell St. Peter's Basilica.

Will the insanity never end?

Amazing that someone would want this in their home. I'm glad they found it.

Thanks for the link Retroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Heck, in Detroit, people steal Jesus statues off of churches.

...and the President probably never even found out about it.
    Not to say Detroiters don't cause the share of the city problems but you chose a bad example.

I spoke with the WC officer that tracked down the person that stole the statue [[and stashed it just down the street from where he stole it). He was found because it was listed for sale on Craigslist. Suffice it to say he did not live within the city limits.

But please carry on.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Not to say Detroiters don't cause the share of the city problems but you chose a bad example.

I spoke with the WC officer that tracked down the person that stole the statue [[and stashed it just down the street from where he stole it). He was found because it was listed for sale on Craigslist. Suffice it to say he did not live within the city limits.

But please carry on.
    Did the people that stole the sign live in Auschwitz? If you re-read my post, you will clearly see that I did not say that a Detroiter stole Jesus.

Please don't carry on.