Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Meat...I need it

Where oh where can i buy locally grown/killed/raised meat? My immediate need is for a Christmas ham but long term I want to be able to by all my meat from local farmers. Where do i start my search? I tried Google no luck...
    Eastern market has tons of butchers but are any off them buying locally?

The Coon man?

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    Where oh where can i buy locally grown/killed/raised meat? My immediate need is for a Christmas ham but long term I want to be able to by all my meat from local farmers. Where do i start my search? I tried Google no luck...
    Eastern market has tons of butchers but are any off them buying locally?

you can go downriver for some good muskrat

CJ Roy's near Yale.

Eastern Market meat market across the freeway from the sheds is your best bet. A lot of it is local but it will be up to the individual butchers & sellers. Just ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    you can go downriver for some good muskrat
    LOL my dad made me eat that once when i was little...never convinced me to go again

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    CJ Roy's near Yale.
    Thanks for the lead!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Coon man?
    as yummy as that sounds..umm i think i shall pass...not sure my palate
    is as refined as that all that

Buy American Guest

Butcher Boy in St. Clair Shores.

Don't know if you might want some fowl, but if you are, I strongly suggest:

Chase Road Poultry

• [[313) 846-3828
    7056 Chase Rd, Dearborn, MI 48126

They are located on Chase Road [[half-way between Greenfield and Schaffer) off of Warren Ave. The place has been in the same location since the 1940's, it is family owned and they have a history of womb-to-tomb employment.

You can walk in the back room and look the birds right in the eye ... pheasant, chicken [[roasters, roosters, capons, hen), turkey, pigeon, etc ...plus you can get rabbits if you like that sort of thing.

The place is very interesting, all their stuff is grown for them by farmers in the area. For holidays they contract with the Amish for turkeys, but you need to order those. If you're interested, you can go to the slaughter room and seeing the plucking machine is a bit of a freak-out. It looks like an old tub washing machine that has been lined with hundreds of rubber nipples. You cut the bird's neck, drain the blood, dress it then dip it into hot water. The hot water puckers the skin thereby raising the feathers to help rubber nipples tear out the feathers while the machine spins around.

Not for the faint of heart or for those who can't tolerate strong odors. Not a place for a first date, unless you are Hannibal Lecter.

---

Have to agree about Butcher Boy. Long standing operation and the place in town if you are looking for anything exotic... like gator, buffalo, ostrich, antelope, lion
    Last edited by gnome; December-18-09 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Don't know if you might want some fowl, but if you are, I strongly suggest:

Chase Road Poultry

• [[313) 846-3828
    7056 Chase Rd, Dearborn, MI 48126

They are located on Chase Road [[half-way between Greenfield and Schaffer) off of Warren Ave. The place has been in the same location since the 1940's, it is family owned and they have a history of womb-to-tomb employment.

You can walk in the back room and look the birds right in the eye ... pheasant, chicken [[roasters, roosters, capons, hen), turkey, pigeon, etc ...plus you can get rabbits if you like that sort of thing.

The place is very interesting, all their stuff is grown for them by farmers in the area. For holidays they contract with the Amish for turkeys, but you need to order those. If you're interested, you can go to the slaughter room and seeing the plucking machine is a bit of a freak-out. It looks like an old tub washing machine that has been lined with hundreds of rubber nipples. You cut the bird's neck, drain the blood, dress it then dip it into hot water. The hot water puckers the skin thereby raising the feathers to help rubber nipples tear out the feathers while the machine spins around.

Not for the faint of heart or for those who can't tolerate strong odors. Not a place for a first date, unless you are Hannibal Lecter.
    This is exactly what i am looking for!!! Between this and C.Roy i think i am on the right track

I just googled "farm to you meat michigan" and this popped up:

http://www.tmzfarm.com/ ...buffalo
    http://www.johnhenrys.net/
    http://www.eatwild.com/products/michigan.html this place looks interesting...
    http://www.quakerfarm.com/quakergoat.html

Can't vouch for any of them, except that Chase Road place, good luck and please keep us posted. I've wanted to buy a cow with some people but have never been able to wrangle enough folks to the cause.

I hit a cow with a Pinto once...

Quote Originally Posted by thnk2mch View Post
    I hit a cow with a Pinto once...
    HAHAHAHAHA!

Did the cow explode into flames?

Lorax Guest

Vergote's poultry/fish on Harper/Whittier. Pick it out live, they'll kill it for you.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I just googled "farm to you meat michigan" and this popped up:

http://www.tmzfarm.com/ ...buffalo
    http://www.johnhenrys.net/
    http://www.eatwild.com/products/michigan.html this place looks interesting...
    http://www.quakerfarm.com/quakergoat.html

Can't vouch for any of them, except that Chase Road place, good luck and please keep us posted. I've wanted to buy a cow with some people but have never been able to wrangle enough folks to the cause.
    The Eat wild resource is great. At 2 dollars 39 cents a pound plus 30 dollars processing fee that sounds lile a reasonable deal for some decent meat.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA!

Did the cow explode into flames?
    Or did the Pinto explode into flames and the cow kept on walking?

No explosion, and yes, the cow kept walking.

Try the Oakland County Farmer's Market. There are farmers who sell beef and poultry with no antibiotics or hormones. They cost a little more than the a grocery store but taste "real".

In my pants

Not for the faint of heart or for those who can't tolerate strong odors.
    One time while I was looking for work, I replied to an ad for machine maintenance. Didn't recognize the address at first, but when I got there it was a meat packer in Eastern Market. Took one whiff and kept on driving.

Wintersmommy-

There is a meat vendor at the Eastern Market named J and M Meats. The vendor's name is Johnny Gyergyov He is in the shed by Hirt's [[sorry can't remember the number). He sells his natural pork raised in Macomb County and butchered by CRoys in Yale. He was taking orders for ham earlier this month, but I'll bet he has a few extra.

And while you are there buy some bacon from him...you will never, ever eat the crap from the supermarkets again.

Good Luck and happy "hunting"

Roperti's Turkey Farm. 34700 Five Mile Rd. Livonia, MI [[734) 464-6546. You can pick out the turkey running around the property and eat it that night.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    In my pants
    Based on the title, I expected much more from this thread than a listing of butcher shops

Wintersmommy, thanks for starting this thread. I've been meaning to ask about this on the forum for a while. I just read some stuff about the CAFOs [[Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) in a book and now when I go to the grocery store, I become a little queasy about the meat I'm buying.

Gnome, I'll put in a few dollars toward a cow if somebody can do the leg work, no pun intended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast