Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rackham Memorial Building

Does anyone know the current function of the Rackham Educational Memerial Building, and does it have the same use and originally intended? I have looked on the internet and could not find any specific information on its current use or ownership. Also, is it open to the public or does it ever host any public events?

Always wondered as well. Does UM still have any connection to it?

It was transferred to Wayne State a few years ago. It now houses Wayne's communications departments.

My friends in the U of M administration tell me that U of M owns the Horace Rackham Building but it is leased to Wayne State for 15 or more years. U of M taught some classes there into the 1970s then it was vacant. It is good to see that it is being used by Wayne. It is one of the most beautiful University of Michigan builldings.
    http://www.detroit1701.org/RackhamEducMemorialBldg.htm

Lorax Guest

The Rackham Building is a super example of depression-modern architecture, and has been largely perserved, with exception to some interior spaces which were altered at a point in time, and the missing light standards on the outside, which disappeared sometime in the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    The Rackham Building is a super example of depression-modern architecture, and has been largely perserved, with exception to some interior spaces which were altered at a point in time, and the missing light standards on the outside, which disappeared sometime in the last 30 years.
    LOL... Lorax... the light standards probably looked too much like those of Fascist Germany & Italy!

Lorax Guest

LOL!!!

Actually they were rather nice looking bronze deco torchiere style posts- they were mounted to the marble blocks at the ends of the entrance staircases.

Thanks for the laugh.

Any pictures of the light fixtures? The only images of the building that show up on Google seem pretty recent.

I recall going to that building for some purpose or the other as a kid in the late 1980s. I feel as if Michigan had an extension center or something housed there... my mom took me there for one of the many "urban nerd kid" programs I participated in [[Midwest Talented Search? Upward Bound? WEB DuBois Scholars?), but I can't remember why we went or who was housed there. Happy to hear my alma mater is putting it to some good use.

Lorax Guest

The building was built by Harley Ellington Assoc, and years ago I had some of their discarded archives, including a large black/white folio of opening day shots.

The original lamp posts were deco, bronze, and in keeping with the architecture. They were replaced at a point in time with silver-looking aluminum plain jane posts which were removed years later. It's been without them for about 30 years.

I no longer have the folio, but old postcards or photo records at the BHC will most likely have shots of them.

Several of Marshal Fredrick's reliefs are obscured by the parking structure that was built on the south side of the Rackham Building.