Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hudson photos?

Default Hudson photos?

Looking for some photos of the Hudson downtown building. Specifically of the outside. Thanks!

Default Hudson's

Go to this website for pictures of Detroit Landmarks:

http://www.jankaulins.com/p84.html

Quote Originally Posted by illyad View Post
    Looking for some photos of the Hudson downtown building. Specifically of the outside. Thanks!
    Saw this same request on your thread about the Masonic. As suggested there, just GOOGLE or search this site. Also, there is the Virtual Motor City.

Also found on Amazon, I have looked at it at a Barnes and Noble store in the Detroit area. Same format as the Masonic Temple Book.

Hudson's: Detroit's Legendary Department Store [[MI) [[Images of America) by Michael Hauser and Marianne Weldon [[Paperback - Nov 1, 2004)

Sometimes it's hard to find pictures of certain buildings but Hudson's was dead easy.

Websearch:

Does anyone know what will replace it? I know there's an underground parking garage now on the site but what building will be build on to of that?

There's a 2010 calendar on sale with pictures of the Hudson's!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-18-09 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by illyad View Post
    Specifically of the inside. I want to see if I remember anything. Some of the other area stores would be nice too.

the Detroit News has great pictures of the Hudsons' store over the years, even when it closed,
    http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/ph...son/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Does anyone know what will replace it? I know there's an underground parking garage now on the site but what building will be build on to of that?
    The plan was to replace it with a vacant lot. And so far it's been quite successful.

While at Borders I too saw the Calender of Hudsons, I have some pictures of the pre demo taken from the people mover. All I can really say is that when this time of year rolls around I can think back of being a kid and going there.
    Pictures of Hudsons don't do it justice.

Lorax Guest

A couple of relics from the downtown store, now visible at Macy's Northland:

Oakland Mall's Macy's has a collection of crystal chandeliers from the downtown store's jewelry department, which was originally Sallan's Jewelry store, and the final corner piece of the block-long monothlith that was acquired by Hudson's around the second World War, corner of Woodward and Gratiot.
    Last edited by Lorax; December-21-09 at 11:13 AM.

Having never been to Oakland Mall, I will tell my Mom about that.

Lorax Guest

They are fantastic crystal chandeliers on the main floor of Hudson's [[Macy's) Oakland Mall store. I was told they were early Waterford crystal, most likely installed in the Sallan store around the mid-1920's.

I want to say thanks for all this groups patience and help with my requests. Merry christmas!

Press pictures for a bigger version.

Before the age of the car. Not a single one on the street. All streetcars are still horsedrawn. This is the corner of Michigan and Woodward. The Hudson's commmercial is seen in the following two pictures as well. Soldiers and sailors monument on the left and behind it a fragment of city hall. Note the old Hotel Cadillac.

Hudson's commercial on the opposite side of Woodward. The Hudson mogul would rise on the other side. Same era, no cars on the street. Who's bust is that in front of the old Operahouse?

The same corner of Woodward and Michgan, a bit later. Note the billboard with Hudson's has a different message now. [[C.I. Whitney & Co.) The corner building has been razed. Read the message on the wall. Now that's an announcement! And does the Phoenix brewery still excist? Quite a lot of the row of stores on Woodward still excist to this day as can be seen in this picture.

Welcome G.A.R. Hudson's on Woodward, 1891. The same way we celebrate our veterans of WWII. We had the same festive celebrations on the 5th. of May 1995 in the Netherlands. [[May 5th is our liberationday.) It was celebrated with four convoys of WWII vehicles and I was invited to make the journey in one of those convoys. I rode in the back of a Willy's Jeep. Entering the major cities in a convoy full of veterans and seeing the streets line with thousands of people made a great impression to me. I had numerous conversations with those Canadian vets during the journey. Most impressive though was the fly by in formation of an American B-17 and the only flying Lancaster bomber on the old continent.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-03-10 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    They are fantastic crystal chandeliers on the main floor of Hudson's [[Macy's) Oakland Mall store. I was told they were early Waterford crystal, most likely installed in the Sallan store around the mid-1920's.
    I remember seeing these when the Oakland Mall store got its makeover - about 10 years ago I guess - and I thought it was all spectacular then but I never knew until now that they came from the downtown store! Wow!

What would be really interesting to see in addition to these outside pictures of Downtown Hudsons would be good quality - ideally color - photos of the INSIDE! I only got to see it a couple of times when my mom took me down there in the early 70's, and I'm sure there are many younger forum-ers who have never seen the inside at all.

Here are 2 pictures from Hudson's.

One shows what I remember to be the year round Toy Deparment that was used except when the 12th floor Toy Town was open during the holidays.

The other shows a group shot at the main entrance. It is not dates, but pictures like these were common during the downtown stores last months.

Too bad they're not a tad bigger, but thanks!

I was at the Canton Border's Books yesterday. They have a calendar of Hudsons and one of Detroit from the same series as the books. Calendars are half price. If you aren't local, I suggest you check their website. Or if you are local, for that matter.

I have a couple of the Hudsonian booklets for the employees, I scanned a few pages from the Dec 47' and the Feb 48' editions. Not so much for the pictures, but for the info on the operations of the store.
    Attachment 4642

Attachment 4643

Attachment 4644

Attachment 4645

--------------------------------------------------
    Attachment 4647

Attachment 4648

Attachment 4649

Attachment 4650

-----------------------------------------------
    Attachment 4652

Attachment 4653

Wow - those are interesting! Thanks!

I noticed that the Carpenter article mentions the 16th and 17th floors. And all these years I had thought the 12th floor toy store was the top!

Default Hudson's

I know it's been discussed here before...but again, since there are new posters--in addition to the light fixtures at Oakland, there is a drinking fountain at Somerset. I recall a small "museum" type artifact/history area at Oakland during the Marshall Field's era--no idea if that is still there. There were also some Hudsons materials tucked away at Lakeside near the restaurant.

I recently acquired this Hudson's Information Packet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast