Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Brush Park loses another

I noticed this rubble when I was driving through Brush Park today. Amongst it you can see one of those historic rehabilitation signs.

I was looking back at older pictures of Brush Park in my collection and found one of the building. It is on the far right.

Another Detroit historic rehabilitation job well done! Contributing to our fine historic collection of lots full of rubble, unmatched anywhere in these United States.

And always remember our new motto: "demolition means progress!" We've sure come a long way from "demolished by neglect," haven't we?

Interesting the "exciting development opportunity" sign is just wedged there in the rubble. It's almost quite predictable that it would end up like that, and certainly there is more to go in Brush Park

It's almost a joke how they left the rehabilitation sign right there on the top of the rubble. The sign itself on the pile of rubble is like a symbol.

Some of those signs have been up for almost a decade in some areas of Brush Park. Obviously, they were never completely serious about rehabilitating all those beautiful mansions.

Although the city is quick to demo people should have a clue before talking.

This building went up in flames a year or two back, the roof was completely gone and the building was collapsing in on itself. There was no hope or opportunity for anything to happen with the place after the fire.

Put please back to your scheduled programming.

When I get a chance this weekend, I will post a picture that I took of this house this past summer. It was in very poor condition, though it did not appear on the precipice of collapse. Do we know whether this house just collapsed on itself? Given the winter weather, that is a strong possibility.

Retroit Guest

Get your free Brush Park Souvenir Brick!

While supplies last.

I was just thinking about this house earlier in the week while reviewing my photos from this past year. I was upset that the house burned after all the work was done to stabilize it. It's been toast since at least January.Attachment 4378

Yes, this building seemed a goner since it unfortunately went up in flames a while back. I still was surprised last time I drove by and it was a pile of bricks. I figured at least the facade or entrance could have been saved.

This happens a lot down in this part of town; lots of empty, unsecured buildings and lots of squatters to break in and make fires inside. Not to mention they're all ancient structures, and aren't the most stable in the world. Once there's damage or exposure, it's hard to stabilize these historic buildings.

A real shame.

If that is by the corner of John R and Edwards, that I think it's safe to assume it was brought down intentionally. A development project is about to start kitty corner from that building. A large, brick, historical building is going to be restored and turned into a music museum. At least we know they're going to save one of these rare places.

I miss walking through Brush Park when the streets were still closed off and filled with old homes, even if they were empty and succumbing to the elements.

Ironic. That building was still a functioning "social club" of some sort long after many other Brush Park Buildings were crumbling shells. It seems like it was only empty and boarded in the last decade.

YEah....WTF? I thought this was supposed to be rehabbed into hip city living! Brush Park is getting more desolate each day with nothing from the city but broken promises. Heres some recent proof and I got pics of that building too

Attachment 4379

Attachment 4380

Attachment 4381

I remember when the streets were closed off too. What was with that? Some kind of effort to improve the neighborhood, like closed streets are for wealthy people, kinda like Pallister in New Center, or was it because they were trying to drive down foot & auto traffic to cut down on crime?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    YEah....WTF? I thought this was supposed to be rehabbed into hip city living! Brush Park is getting more desolate each day with nothing from the city but broken promises. Heres some recent proof and I got pics of that building too
    Two different buildings here, but point taken. Thanks for the pics.

More pics of various Brush Park Homes

Attachment 4388

Ransom Gillis needs some TLC, and if had the money I would certainly renovate
    Attachment 4389

Attachment 4390

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    More pics of various Brush Park Homes

Attachment 4388

Ransom Gillis needs some TLC, and if had the money I would certainly renovate
    Attachment 4389

Attachment 4390
    The Ransom Gillis house is one of my favorites in the whole city. If I ever won the lottery I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Who owns it now?

That really sucks. I always thought those port hole windows were such a cool feature of that house. Here's a shot of it from last year. My money is on this one being the next to fall, the house that was featured on Life After People.

I would love to have those bricks

I don't endorse taking property that's not yours, but they're all over the street, sidewalk, and alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I don't endorse taking property that's not yours, but they're all over the street, sidewalk, and alley.
    I am too chickensh*t ...But i really really would love to have them..I assume that they are just going to go to a landfill somewhere and i could do a lovely garden wall with them ....

There are plenty of piles of rubble in the city that you could pilfer. Take a drive through Delray lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    There are plenty of piles of rubble in the city that you could pilfer. Take a drive through Delray lately?
    well i did a couple of months ago when they tore down a school with beautiful yellowish bricks and convinced my friend to go brick shopping with me thru the piles..but when we went back there was a cop arresting someone right in front of my prize and we decided that wasnt the best time to help ourselves..life got in the way and we never made it back..wonder if they are still there ?

I guess I think differently then a lot of you. I don't see taking a brick or 2 to be that big of a deal. Especially when they are right out in the open, no fence or anything to block people from entering the property.

Here is my photo history of the house.
    http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/201...39-john-r.html
    I went through Brush Park last weekend for the first time in a few months and it turns out we lost three other houses during that period as well. More on that later.

Good point. Detroit is not a SimCity variant where there is a cheat code for unlimited money and development resources [[though it certainly seems that some people believe that preservation and rehabilitation are solely a matter of will).

If there is no funding and no demand for rehabilitated housing in Brush Park, things will move much more slowly. They've saved a few of these houses, but the ROI can't be there when you basically remove everything but the exterior floor beams and walls and basically build a new house on that.

And wood-framed 1890s houses don't last very long when exposed to the elements. Some of these houses have been vacant for 50 years. The homeless people and local firebugs have been doing their part, setting fires that finish off a lot of these structures.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Although the city is quick to demo people should have a clue before talking.

This building went up in flames a year or two back, the roof was completely gone and the building was collapsing in on itself. There was no hope or opportunity for anything to happen with the place after the fire.

Put please back to your scheduled programming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast