Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Scripps Conservatory

i thought i read in one of the papers that the palm trees in the Anna Scripps Conservatory were getting too tall for the building and would have to be removed either by uprooting them or cutting them down...

the family and i went down there the day the Star Trek exhibit opened at the Science Center and when i asked at the desk the lady [[whos newspaper reading i interrupted) told me "i dont know nothing about that"...

does anyone know about the palm trees? are they coming out?

they are coming out. september i think...

LodgeDodger Guest

As much as I love the palms, they are dangerous. Thanks for the September date.

I'm on the finance committe for board for the Belle Isle Botanical Society, a non-profit which raises funds for the maintenance and restoration of the conservatory and surrounding gardens.

The palms were prunned at the end of February. Palm frons, which are very sharp, were removed and some other trees were trimmed. The amount of light reaching the ground increased dramatically but there wasn't a dramatic change in the canopy.

A large palm was removed about three or four years ago because it was pushing against the glass in the conservatory. Obviously, the change in canopy was noticable to the casual observer.

Normally, there is an Easter Lily display in the show house at the conservatory but I haven't been down there to confirm it.

If you are interested in checking out photos of the conservatory then check out our website. The photos take a while to load so please be patient. http://www.bibsociety.org/

Clint

Was down there on Good Friday.... noticed that there was more light filtering down in the rotunda, but didn't know why... since the tall palms were still there. Thanks for the info Bibs.

The Easter Flower Show was on display... didn't see a lot of Easter Lilies, but there were a lot of colorful flowers [[lots of Cyclamen, etc.) on display with the Easter Bunny in view.

I still miss the tunnel in the old show house, before it was rebuilt in the late 70's, early 80's. I also used to like it when you could see the aquarium from the balcony there.

BTW, I heard quite some time ago that they were going to rebuild the fountain in the orchid room, anyone know about this?

Nothing new to contribute, but the island and the Conservatory were beautiful this morning, and the person at the desk was enthusiastic and informative to the three young people from Kentucky who asked about the history of the building and the palms.