Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Bing, Granholm, Lutz, Leonard, LeDuff, etc. are reading

I'm a profligate book whore and am totally nosy about what others are reading. I asked some notable personalities, such as our mayor and governor, what they're reading and/or recommend:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/shea

What are you reading, and what do you like/loathe it?

I have a terrible book addiction, and the proximity of John King isn't helping ...

Lorax Guest

John King has been an amazing resource and enormous presence in independent book dealing in Detroit for years, and I wish him continued success.

As far as books currently being read- I am revisiting one I read years ago- "Is Paris Burning" an amazing acccount of the final weeks of WWII revolving around the actions of nazi general Von Choltis, prefect of Paris under Hitler, and how he saved the city from being detonated into a field of ruins ahead of the allied invasion. It was made into a film as well back in the 60's. Superb read- highly recommended.

Won't be reading "Going Rouge" or so-called "Liberal Fascism" since the term is incorrect and any oxymoron, and both books have been panned from the gross factual inaccuracies to the ghost writing charge. Not worth my time.

I'm reading Fordlandia, the story of Henry Ford's Brazilian operations.

The city's in its most severe crisis in decades and Dave Bing is reading a goddamn Mitch Albom book?

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    The city's in its most severe crisis in decades and Dave Bing is reading a goddamn Mitch Albom book?
    Is he supposed to spend every waking minute working???

I forgot to add that I'm also reading George Plimpton's "Mad Ducks and Bears" -- his follow-up to "Paper Lion." It's as good as the first book, but few people have heard of it ... and Lions fans who do might think of it and what he did as sacrilegious!

David Sedaris' "Holidays on Ice" is always a fun, albeit short, read this time of year.

What Every American Should Know About The Middle East - Melissa Rossi