Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Deano Day Dies

Default Deano Day Dies

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2009904130351

I remember one morning, I think it was the morning he moved to a new station, that Deano played nothing but Waylon Jennings "I've Always Been Crazy" for the whole show.

I remember listening to WCXI and WDEE when he was on there. He was a lot of fun on the air. RIP Deano.

I remember him from when I was a kid, Used to listen to him in the car with my Mom. The only country DJ I remember from my youth. RIP Deano

When I started at WJBK, the radio station WDEE [[Big D) was also in the building and I handled incoming calls for both. Deano would pass my desk frequently and was always pleasant and polite, and funny. I remember going to a WDEE sponsored concert at Pine Knob, and Deano was in the audience, sitting in a section of seats set aside for station personnel. He was recognized by some fans who screamed out "Deano in the morning!!!!!" which was sort of the catch phrase for his program. Coincidentally, I was thinking about him a couple of days ago, wondering where he was working now, or if he'd retired. That's spooky! I haven't thought about him for probably 25 years, lol. RIP Deano!

Quote: "lol. RIP Deano!"

I know you didn't mean it that way, but that sure reads funny. I take it you don't write obituary's professionally

Anybody remember the Chug-a-lugger?

I wish I still had my Deano autographed pumpkin. I was one of the first hundred people to stop by the studio at the Lodge and Seven Mile one Halloween and got a free pumpkin right from Deano, autographed with a note to my secretary, who absolutely loved it.

Oh my goodness! "Uncle Deano" who would always ring a bell and call first-time callers "ding-a-lings!" Through four years of college at U of D I listened to him on WCXI during my morning commute!!! He was a great character.

Deno was a personal friend of mine and spent many days [[and nights) at the Day's End Ranch out in Howell or as Deno would say Howwwwwwwwwwwwell. He and the morning gang had a benefit for me and my family when I was wounded in the Persian Gulf war and has always been a staunch defender of our Armed Services.
    I first met him at Sawchuck's when I played for a band there and immediately saw this deeply intense personal side of him that was easily hidden and confused with many tragic events in his life. Alcoholism was a constant reminder just how frail he actually was.

But I'll always remember him for that huge white cowboy hat, you know he single handily made a lot of cowboys out of us city slickers. Who DA thought [[his words not mine... lol .... there were so many here in the Detroit Area?

Carry on Deno... Carry on my friend!