Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Area NW of the original Buddys?

I was wondering if anyone has older pictures of the area and what it used to look like more than 20 years ago?
    Thanks,
    Urban

Conant Gardens?
    No, not really. I think the closest you could get is the historical imagery on Google Earth, but that's about it.
    The only time I'm in that neighborhood is when I'm getting some Buddy's pizza. Streetview on google maps could show what Conant Gardens looks like today, or rather in '07.
    But yeah, no historic photos, Conant Gardens was never really anything special.

I wanted to go to the original Buddy's oce because somebody said their's was the best, but I don't trust the neighborhood. I got lost around there years ago going to my friend's record store in Hamtramck from the north. I remember Oakland, 6 Mile [[I think we got off 75 on McNichols or maybe 7 Mile going west, then tried going south), Nevada, etc. We quickly found our way again, but that is one depressing looking neighborhood. I prayed my car didn't break down.

Conant Gardens, home of Slum Village and the late, great, J Dilla.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slum_Village
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Dilla

Default Conant Gardens

I have a copy of a book entitled CONANT GARDENS, A Black Urban Community 1925-1950, that is now in print and contains many photos and a history of some past residents of Conant Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by psubliminal View Post
    I wanted to go to the original Buddy's oce because somebody said their's was the best, but I don't trust the neighborhood. I got lost around there years ago going to my friend's record store in Hamtramck from the north. I remember Oakland, 6 Mile [[I think we got off 75 on McNichols or maybe 7 Mile going west, then tried going south), Nevada, etc. We quickly found our way again, but that is one depressing looking neighborhood. I prayed my car didn't break down.
    You are totally depriving yourself of the best pizza and atmosphere around. Go to the original Buddys!! I eat there at least twice a month and have never had a problem going, coming or while there. There is a guard in the parking lot and the place is well lit. I swear that the food is better there than in any of the other locations.
    I wouldn't go walking around the neighborhood at night, but I feel comfortable enough driving to and from and through the neighborhood. About a month ago, my brother's truck really did break down in the neighborhood just west of Buddys. I had to come to his rescue......that is another story!

Buddy's has lighted, fenced, secure and supervised parking.

The reason the food is better there is that they don't measure the ingredients there. The make a pizza by making a pizza, not by counting pepperonis!

I have a Detroit Almanac that tells you about some of the neighborhoods.
    QUOTE:
    Location: East side, south of 7 mile and north of Nevada, between Conant and Ryan.
    Selling Points: The Conant Gardens home association, which is active in preserving the community history [[apparently not)
    History: The land was originally owned by Schubael Conant, an early 19th Century merchant and president of the Detroit board of Water Comminsioners. Conant was an abolitionistwho stipulated his in his will that no deed restrictions be placed on his land to forbid blacks from owning parcels. As a result, Conant Gardens was one of the first places in the United States African Americans could buy property. Many residents had gardens that gave Conant Gardens it's name.
    Highlights: A Small neighborhood comprised of single family homes. Pershing High school is located there.

Quote Originally Posted by tammypio View Post
    You are totally depriving yourself of the best pizza and atmosphere around. Go to the original Buddys!! I eat there at least twice a month and have never had a problem going, coming or while there. There is a guard in the parking lot and the place is well lit. I swear that the food is better there than in any of the other locations.
    I work near there and visit it semi-regularly. I've noted there's often a lunch crowd of DPD & WCSO officers in there too. Although, I think the Dearborn location food is just as good.

does anyone rember club poski or jess alou's repair shop?

I remember playing on a work softball league at Jayne Field and than heading off to Club Polski for some after game fun. You could buy a couple of pitchers of beer there for $5. Had fun when the ladies teams would come in we would do navel shooters.