Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Eloise Tavern

Was it near the asylum?

My husband's dad used to drink there back in the 50's and 60's, and my husband remembers it as being on Michigan and Merriman where the current 7-11 is. Right across from the cemetary and kitty corner from the state hospital.

It was called the Eloise Inn

I bet they had some crazy bartenders.

Its mentioned in the Eloise book.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My husband's dad used to drink there back in the 50's and 60's, and my husband remembers it as being on Michigan and Merriman where the current 7-11 is. Right across from the cemetary and kitty corner from the state hospital.
    You've got the location exactly correct. It was called the Eloise Inn it was on the SW corner of Mich & Merriman. It got torn down in the late 90s around the same time Wayne County sold a big portion of the Eloise land on the NE corner where a strip mall with a Kroger now stands. When I worked at WC Health Dept, I remember colleagues who had previously worked at Eloise in their earlier careers who told stories of patients eloping [[escaping) and being found there. The bar keeps would call the hospital to report patients showing up there and trying to barter to pay their bar bill with their shoes, which were all stamped Eloise on the bottoms.

My husbands dad pulled up to the light there one time and one of the patients jumped in the front seat. She wanted a ride home, which was somewhere downtown. She offered to pay him in cigars, which were actually the stubs of those left lying on the windowsills when the Drs. put them down to check a patient. He drove her around and then took her back to Eloise.

I remember the outside of the place very well. As for the inside I never made it in.My Uncles buddy the used car salesman I belive lived behind the Inn. The reason I remember that is because if my Uncle wanted to test drive a car we would have to pick him up or get the keys from him there.
    Kinda sad in my mind that the place is gone.It was in walking distance from my house.

Hi, my first post here. I have been fascinated with Eloise since I was a kid. I grew up right around the corner and remember riding bikes with my friends and passing the buildings all the time. Anywho, here is a blogpost about the Eloise Inn. Cheers.
    http://portraitsofeloise.blogspot.co...e-inn.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by JFarmer View Post
    Hi, my first post here. I have been fascinated with Eloise since I was a kid. I grew up right around the corner and remember riding bikes with my friends and passing the buildings all the time. Anywho, here is a blogpost about the Eloise Inn. Cheers.
    http://portraitsofeloise.blogspot.co...e-inn.html?m=1
    Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Hahaha thanks. I found this place last night while reading about the Dahlinger house in Dearborn. A lot of good info on here.

Great job of resurrecting a 10-year old thread for a watering hole nobody [[normal) went to.....bottoms-up!

Passed by it many times as a kid driving in the car w/parents.....creepy.