Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gunsberg's Building and other Delray landmarks

Does anyone have any info on this building on West Jefferson in Delray? It says "Gunsberg's" very large on top and is located at approximately 8144 W. Jefferson Ave. It is one of the more interesting pieces of commercial architecture in the area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsgeorge/4185281770/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulhitz/3937129097/

While we're at it, go ahead and shoutout some other cool Delray landmarks.

1928 Polk city directory lists a "Delray Sewing Machine and Music Shop" at 8144 W. Jefferson. There is no listing for a Gunsberg's anywhere along that stretch.

Looking at the Sanborn map for that area, I think the proper addresses for that building are 8128 and 8130 W. Jefferson. The 1928 directory lists "Henry Kitterer" and "Vito Carella" at 8128, which is presumably the address for the residential units upstairs, and "Saml. H. Rabin, wallpaper" in the storefront at 8130.

In the top Flickr link you posted, Derek Farr says:
    "The only info I have is:
    Gunsberg Liquor Co. 2272 W Jefferson Ave. C Guth & Son [[Built 1912) but not sure if this is the building."

In this set of pictures of the building you can clearly see the number "12" emblazoned in the middle of the building's front:
    http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=1475

So maybe there's your answer. And perhaps the original address was changed in the big Detroit address changeover of the 1920s.

Thanks Eastside,that's what I suspected, I figured you guys have the reference books to check these things. So what was with the prevalence of bottlers in Delray? I know there is a very old bottling plant on the Rouge River, across from Zug Island on W. Jefferson. does anyone have more information about it? Here is a photograph of the rear [[river side):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsgeorge/3705537569/

Gunsburg and Rabin nee Rabinowitz would be Jews of Delray. There was a whole Jewish community there along with the Delray Synagogue. The Delray synagogue is catalogued in the synagogue tour on this website.

Delray Jews worked in all manner of jobs; ground floor retail, small manufacturing, trucking, professions, and as carshop Johns in the auto plants.
    jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

If it's Gunsberg, it has to have something to do with corned beef.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Gunsberg Liquor Co. 2272 W Jefferson Ave. C Guth & Son [[Built 1912) but not sure if this is the building."

In this set of pictures of the building you can clearly see the number "12" emblazoned in the middle of the building's front:

So maybe there's your answer. And perhaps the original address was changed in the big Detroit address changeover of the 1920s.
    Great buildings in that link- had no idea those buildings were there. Love the red brick one with the giant corner clock. If that could be bought for little of nothing, it may be worth restoring.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

In addition to the liquor company, there was a Gunsberg Saloon at 2262 W Jefferson. Before the address change, West Jefferson between Cary and Dearborn Streets was numbered from 2252 to 2322.

Not too long ago I photographed the heck out of Delray. There is pretty much no hope for the commercial buildings there. It has a rather odd feeling driving through ""downtown Delray", it's like a ghost town.

I think there used to be a kosher meat-packing company called Gunsberg's. Maybe this was once their location.

In looking at Ancestry.com World War I draft registrations, there is a Paul Gunsberg that is listed as living at 554 Rademacher St [[before the address shift) and lists his busines as being a liquor dealer with his business address as 2272 W. Jefferson Detroit.

His wife's name is not mentioned, but it does say that he is married. Naturalized Citizen, city of birth is Sgarfold Hungary. Date of birth March 24, 1888.

He was 29 at the time and did not claim exemption to the draft.

I found him in 1910 living with a brother Louis age 26, sisters Ethel [[22) and Theresa [[18) and two other people Embray Silvery [[20 or 24) and Ignacy Frank [[24). The 1910 census is almost unreadable but it looks like they lived at 2212 Jefferson West. All are listed as working as retail clerks.

It appears brother Louis and Paul came here in 1900 and the others followed in 1905 or 6.

Brother Louis Gunsberg is also in the WWI draft registrations. He is living at 262 E. Kirby and has a furniture store named Gunsberg Bros at 2231 West Jefferson his wife is listed as Selma Gunsberg.

Can't find any info in the 1920 Census

In 1930 Louis and Selma are living in the Chatham Apartment Hotel at 600 Pingree with sons Richard [[10) and George almost 8 yrs.

Young George shows up in the WWII enlistments for 12 Oct 1942 SSI death index as dying in Bloomfield Hills in 2008

Young Richard shows up in the WWII enlistments for 13 May 1941 trade Wholesale Meat Manager SSI death index 2 Jan 1999 in Southfield.

Awesome research Gnome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Thanks Eastside,that's what I suspected, I figured you guys have the reference books to check these things. So what was with the prevalence of bottlers in Delray? I know there is a very old bottling plant on the Rouge River, across from Zug Island on W. Jefferson. does anyone have more information about it? Here is a photograph of the rear [[river side):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsgeorge/3705537569/
    The bottling plant was John Kar. All the pop for my wedding in 1972 came from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Not too long ago I photographed the heck out of Delray. There is pretty much no hope for the commercial buildings there. It has a rather odd feeling driving through ""downtown Delray", it's like a ghost town.
    My father worked at Michigan Malleable Iron Company on Crossley from 1927-1955. I can remember going down there in the 50's and the place was bustling with activity. Cars parked almost bumper to bumper along Jefferson. One of his brothers drove a semi for the Solvey. It is sad there is almost nothing left.

I second Rick Beall's comments - Awesome research Gnome! This is the kind of stuff I come to Detroityes for. We all add comments and information from where we've grown up, worked and hung out, but Gnome's research adds hard data and historic information. Thanks.

Gunsberg's Corn Beef had a factory just North of 8 & Dequindre for a number of years. It closed in the late 80's.

There is a Gunsberg Beef Packing and Deli Meats company at 3925 Tillman St. near Selden on the Westside of Detroit, 48208. At same address is Thorn Apple Valley Smoked Meats.
    Joseph and Julius Gunsberg are listed in the company history. This family also had operations at Eastern Market over the years. jjaba cannot tell if these people are related to the Delray bldg. in question.

jjaba, proudly Westside.