Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kresge's New Mini Mall

The Kresge Building in Downtown Detroit on Woodward Ave. is getting mini mall with upper and lower level of shops along with a new 5 and 10 Bar for its anchor. This is great start for the development of Downtown Detroit.
    Last edited by Lowell; April-25-09 at 09:27 PM.

yes and no. Good to get something in that building. But bad cause it's a Boydell Development project, which means everything will be shoddy and half-ass. Expect the roof to leak, no elevator and trash everywhere. That's just the status quo in every other building they own.

Does anyone have a link to go along with this story?

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    Does anyone have a link to go along with this story?
    Agreed. I don't see it on the News or the Freep.

I have seen the development from the outside, as I walk by it almost every weekday [[and some weekends). This is happening.

I hear from reputable folks that it's going to be some sort of outlet place; I'm just glad to see some activity. It looks, from the lights I see, that it also may be on the second story of the building.

Boydell, quite frankly, keeps a lot of buildings occupied with residents. Are they perfect? Heck no. However, the reality is that not everything in the city is going to be top-notch and nor can all folks afford that. I'd much rather have the buildings he has with tenants than vacant. There is going to have to be room for all levels of development. He walks the evil genius line of spending just enough to make money on what he does... the reality is that the nicest things don't always make money. It's about serving what needs people have, and Dennis does that with relatively inexpensive housing. You're not going to get top-notch service, but you're not paying a ton of money, either, so you can't expect much. It's a trade-off.

If I happen by it I'll take some pictures. You can see more of the inside at night, though, they're keeping it very brightly lit.

I'm glad to hear about this, I'm gonna be sure to swing by to take a look when I'm home for the weekend.

Why Mr. Boydell is bad for Downtown Detroit development?

Oh I remember, yeah I saw this when I was downtown last. I thinking it was a news story they way ya told it. I hope it gets done.

Maybe Dennis Kefallanos [[apparently "Mr. Boydell" to some here) is taking the huge buyout he got from the Ilitch's on that Grand River building that was just demolished and investing it into this project...

Where exactly is the kresge building? Where in Downtown Detroit, that is....

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    Where exactly is the kresge building? Where in Downtown Detroit, that is....
    State Street and Woodward.
    Back in the day:
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/kresge-1.jpg

DetroitDad Guest

I can't complain. There are over 50 vacant storefronts along Lower Woodward.

http://shopkresge.com/

I'm going to throw my abercrombie sweater on and get right down there.

Well at least there is one bright spot for lower Woodward.

After viewing the above webpage for the shops, I think MonCon will be up in arms because most of the people in the pictures don't look like her!

This sounds like another Russel Bazaar. Anyone need any paper towel and Obama shirts?

It is another Russell Bazaar. The Boydell people told me all about it when I paid my rent 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans57 View Post
    This sounds like another Russel Bazaar. Anyone need any paper towel and Obama shirts?
    Seriously, how many crappy Obama shirt stalls can there be in that place?

If this doesn't get some real tenants and not just crappy screen printed Detroit shirts, then it's not going to last.

Well, hopefully one of the daily papers or Crain's or Model D will have an article soon which will give some solid details. It will be nice to have that corner occupied again. While we can all hope for higher scale stores, we know that our city may not be able to support that yet. Hopefully the tenants won't ALL be Russell Bazzare types; if that's the case, I'll have no reason to shop there. Let's hope for the best and see what happens. Anyone have any photos of the site work?

There was another Kresge's at the corner of Woodward and Grand River [[the Red Front Store).

gravitymachine Guest

sex toys, beanie babies and shea butter conveniently located on woodward?! hooray!

So I snapped some shots last night on the way home for the large numbers of folks on here who do not pass through the block regularly...

By the way, what I keep hearing from non-forum-ish people who live in the city is that we need more basic stores, like places to get things like bathing suits [[not my words, what was suggested to me) and the things of daily life. And I'd agree.

The reality is that as far as store quality, Detroit's going to have to climb up just like other areas did in the retail sector. The bitch is that everyone has such high expectations because of it's former glory, so no one is going to be satisfied until there's Macy's, Apple and Gap all on Woodward. And sure, that'd be awesome one day, but let's be realistic.
    Attachment 596

Attachment 597

Attachment 598

Attachment 599
    Last edited by Lowell; April-14-09 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    sex toys, beanie babies and shea butter conveniently located on woodward?! hooray!
    Ah, it's not the greatest, I will admit. However, it's better than a vacant building.

The important thing - and this remains to be seen - is whether or not they expand to start offering other products and services.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Ah, it's not the greatest, I will admit. However, it's better than a vacant building.

The important thing - and this remains to be seen - is whether or not they expand to start offering other products and services.
    How about MR. K finishing the lofts that have been coming soon on the corner of Gratiot and Broadway first? You know the ones that have been coming soon since at least 2002.

Digitalvision, thanks for posting those photos. It WILL be nice to have that corner occupied and active rather than dormant and empty. And I'm glad they took the Kresge facade covering off the lower floors as seen in the older [[c. early 70's?) view posted above.

Rocko, that vintage pic posted by BuildingsofDetroit of the Kresge Building was taken during Downtown Detroit Days as you can see the red banner on far right side of the frame. DDD was an annual event in Detroit with a Queen and parade and the whole works. A central buisness district shopping event. I think it petered out in the early 1970's.
    Wasn't it annouced last year that there going to be a loft conversion next door to Kresge's? I think a couple of former Michigan State basketball players were the money guys behind the project. Or do I have the wrong building in mind?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast