Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit should try this.

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Buf...Y./G1359,A5996

If Detroit wasn't burnt to the ground or demolished they could have tourist attractions from unused buildings.
    Last edited by tallboy66; December-14-09 at 10:32 PM.

Detroiters should try this:

Embrace your legacy and support it, with an eye to the future.

Having people tour Detroit on the basis of it being a ghetto is cruel . I remember seeing people tour NOLA on buses with their children in tow to see the damage done.

Imagine how the people who are disenfranchised in Detroit would feel to see people coming there to see the way they live as an amusement?

Its just cruel.

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Having people tour Detroit on the basis of it being a ghetto is cruel . I remember seeing people tour NOLA on buses with their children in tow to see the damage done.

Imagine how the people who are disenfranchised in Detroit would feel to see people coming there to see the way they live as an amusement?

Its just cruel.

No, it isn't. While you're correct, you're missing the point. If people are driving through Brightmoor or 7mile and State Fair to see a bunch of poor benighted underclass, yes, that is cruel.
    However, the Train Station, or the Packard Plant have nothing to do with how Detroiters live or being amused by it. They are mammouth, architecturally astounding achievements of Detroit's rather flash-in-the-pan boomtown days. The Train Station isn't even IN the ghetto...unless you're calling Corktown and SW a ghetto, in which case I AM offended.
    I doubt many people would argue Preservation Wayne or Detroit Historical Society tours are culturally insenstive. People are taking an interest in the incredible history, architecture, and culture of our City and touring significant buildings no longer in use would be no different in that regard.

If it is for historical purposes then yes. But how many people do you think would actually come into the city just to see historical ruins?

I can't help but think it would turn into a circus and just cause more negative press for our city.

Detroit has suffered enough.

If it is for historical purposes then yes. But how many people do you think would actually come into the city just to see historical ruins?
    Museum of Industrial History
    Society for Industrial Archaeology
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    National Trust Tours
    Historical Society of Michigan
    Urban Explorers Network

uhhh.... should I go on?

Touring Detroit's ruins is not touring its ghettos. Many people are fascinated by Detroit's ruins, their architecture, and the history that is written into their walls. These are our gems. If they cannot be restored now, we should take advantage of them regardless of the state they're in.

Agreed. Maybe it can be done tastefully.

I'm sure you can understand my worry about the city and its remaining residents being further exploited.

Agreed. Maybe it can be done tastefully.

I'm sure you can understand my worry about the city and its remaining residents being further exploited.
    Absolutely. But the good thing is that the people who do want to see historic ruins usually have a good understanding of the history behind them, or are coming to learn about it, and therefore probably have a good understanding and respect of the city & the situation here. These are not your average fly-by-night gamblers or sports fans from other towns, they're here because they are fascinated by Detroit and its history and potential.

I can't help but think it would turn into a circus and just cause more negative press for our city.

Detroit has suffered enough.
    True. If it's a run down scary looking building but those ones in Buffalo are preserved, like the Frank Loyd Wright houses in Bloomfield and elsewhere they are on tour for history and architectural significance,much like the old cars on display no one wants to see a rusted out 65 Mustang but a nice cherry red one

If they could be restored [[since they can't be preserved originally anymore) people would maybe not come to see them alone but if they are in the city for other reasons why not make it a tourist attraction? The Fisher building is fantastic inside. And what do you think Greenfield Village is?

Add a little car history after cleaning up Woodward to show the first paved road in America [[7 mile and Woodward?) the first freeway, the Davison.

I'd also say since they have the Motown museum they could do a rock or people from Detroit one like Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, The White Stripes, MC5, The Stooges, and yes even Kid Rock and Eminem.

Instead of tearing things down to make parking lots.