Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Ranier Bakery?

Default Ranier Bakery?

Does anyone remember a Rainier Bakery [[spelling may not be exact) on Livernois near Seven Mile? It was active into the '70s. The question is, did they simply go out of business or is there a successor establishment somewhere in the suburbs now?

Their pastries were European style and of very high quality. They supplied pastries to the DIA for awhile.

They moved to Southfield for awhile, but I think they are gone now. They were definitely top of the line. The Southfield shop was next to the NY Bagel shop on 12 Mile at Evergreen.

Ranier Pastry shop was on Livernois north of Seven Mile, east side of the street, about three doors north of Seven. It was there through the eighties, they did my son's Bar Mitzah cake.

I once made the mistake of asking Mr. Ranier about making bread and he informed it was a "Pastry" shop and not a bakery. They had another location in Southfield but I got the impression that the next generation was not interested in rich pastries and cream filled horns and Napoleons, expensive to make and labor intensive.

Ranier's and Macus Bakery and pastry on Maple in downtown Birmingham made some of the best pastries and cakes in the area. Chocolate filled eclaires with white icing and coconut shavings, Heaven.

I remember Aliette's in the early 1980's- an extraordinary shop made even more fantastic by its location. I think it was on Porter St - or very near - quite close to the Bridge. I never ate dinner there but I did often buy wonderful French pastries such as I haven't seen since. Even Josef's does not make a Paris-Brest.

One of Ranier's signature pastries sold at the DIA was a small dacquoise [[about the size of largish cupcake). The delicately crisp meringue cylinder was frosted with dark chocolate ganache, garnished with dark chocolate shavings, and topped with a couple of chocolate diamonds. I know Ranier is long gone but does anyone in SE Michigan make any kind of dacquoise? I've never seen any at Josef's.

I worked at B. Siegel at 7 Mile and Livernois as a teen from 1969 til 1972 then came back from 1975 to 1976. I used to walk across the street to get my favorite pastry there. They cost $1.75 which was very expensive back then. It was an apricot, almond marzipan bar dipped in dark chocolate and was incredibly rich. There were on the southeast corner and i was no longer in the area when they closed. They were by far the best fine/gourmet bakery in the city. A true loss.