Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    What was the old, black guy's name who was the door man for years?

When I worked there in '94 and '95 the man who covered the door and the elevator was named Don and the maintenance guy was Herb.

The agency I worked for occupied the 14th floor and later moved the admin offices to 28. The building was empty from the 2nd-13th floor and then from 15-26. And really creepy on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by ellsa View Post
    When I worked there in '94 and '95 the man who covered the door and the elevator was named Don and the maintenance guy was Herb.

The agency I worked for occupied the 14th floor and later moved the admin offices to 28. The building was empty from the 2nd-13th floor and then from 15-26. And really creepy on the weekends.
    Thanks Ellsa. Don sounds like it might be him. I'll have to speak to friends to collaborate my memory is correct. 1994 - 95 sounds like the tail end of his employment at the building. I used to talk to him occasionally when in the building or frequenting businesses in that area. I seem to remember him around from the 70's to the 90's. Another downtown Detroit character.

[. Another downtown Detroit character.[/quote]

He liked to tipple a little...used to scare the hell out of me in that elevator.

Back around 1990 a friend showed me where he worked in one of the upper floors of the Stott Bldg. It was great to see the interior of such a great looking building. I don't remember a lot of elaborate details. It seems to me that maybe the exterior was always the primary appeal of the building?

Still, it's a gorgeous old structure and if someone cares to rehab it then God bless them and hopefully they will have success.

I recently had the opportunity to review the redevelopment proposals for the David Stott. They look great. Pretty straightforward. The building would be converted to mixed-use with a majority of the floors being dedicated to lofts & condos. Three of the six elevators would be removed to accommodate more floorspace. The developers are looking at the possibility of converting the buildings next door [[to the south on Griswold) into parking decks with ground-floor retail. Astonishingly, historic & brownfield tax credits would cover 80%-90% of the costs, bringing the initial investment costs down to below $5 million.

The plans are just that -- plans -- but if the improvements at Capitol Park move forward & the city & state gets on board with redeveloping this building and the other properties surrounding the park, it could be a 'go' for work to start early 2011.

Looking forward to the future of this downtown gem.

Do you happen to know the name of the developer who is proposing the plan? Is it Jim or someone else?

My shop is in there now!

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    My shop is in there now!
    What shop?

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    What shop?
    I deduce it is "Carl's Computers & Security Concepts".

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post
    I deduce it is "Carl's Computers & Security Concepts".
    That's Right!

My attorney is [[and has been since the 70's) based out of the Stott building. Apparently a few weeks ago, he and all residents were given the boot by a Miami based developer or so he says. Does this ring a bell at all?

Quote Originally Posted by brightpavilions View Post
    My attorney is [[and has been since the 70's) based out of the Stott building. Apparently a few weeks ago, he and all residents were given the boot by a Miami based developer or so he says. Does this ring a bell at all?
    It's true. The Stott is closing. I was told this last night by an architect who has offices in it. This means the Stott will now be the tallest empty building in the city - and second tallest in the country.

That's rubbish. Any idea on this mystery "developer" and what they plan on doing?

Miami, eh? If their city is any indication, Detroit might be on the cusp of a skyscraper boom.... ;-)

Have to correct myself: I forgot about the Book Tower. So the Stott will be number two in the city and third nationally.

Which will be torn down first, Book tower or the David Stott?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Which will be torn down first, Book tower or the David Stott?

I can't even imagine how much $$ it would take to take down either of those buildings. It's Detroit though so anything can happen.

I don't understand why the investment group would kick out the tenants. Are they planning on closing the building for good or doing something with it [[remodel, convert to other use)??

Maybe it was costing more to keeep the building open even with a few tenants? Maybe it wasn't worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Maybe it was costing more to keeep the building open even with a few tenants? Maybe it wasn't worth it?
    If the building is such a money pit, why did the "Miami-based developer" buy it in the first place? It sounds like it was a recent purchase. Are they planning a major renovation/repurposing, or are they just speculators and are gonna mothball it until office space in downtown Detroit become valuable enough to reopen it?

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Have to correct myself: I forgot about the Book Tower. So the Stott will be number two in the city and third nationally.
    what's empty and taller than the book? thought that was the tallest empty in the US. Did Carl's computers get kicked out too?

I was also wondering what #1 was?

Book Tower.... 475 ft.
    Stott Tower..... 437 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Book Tower.... 475 ft.
    Stott Tower..... 437 ft.
    And Davey Broderick is 369 ft.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010093...wer-in-Detroit

Unless I missed something, we were all unsure of the plans for the Stott after the old tenants got kicked out. The article gives some more information about the new owner's plans. If the rents are reasonable and they offer some good amenities, I'm sure the apartments would fill up in no time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast