Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Prenford Hotel

Default Prenford Hotel

I was just look at this postcard from my collection and thought I would share it.

On page 58 which can be viewed at the link below of the book Detroit's Historic Hotel and Restaurants there is some info on it.

The rear of the postcard reads
    "PRENFORD HOTEL
    DETROIT, MICH., Woodward at Woodland
    Beautiful North Woodward District
    Refinement and Dignity
    150 Beautiful Rooms"
    Last edited by DetroitZack; December-13-09 at 07:27 PM.

Now the Normandie, a notorious flophouse.

Bearinabox Guest

Any idea how old the postcard is? I'm curious about that house next door, which appears to have been replaced by a bank branch.

I'm amazed how good the building still looks today.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgemain View Post
    I'm amazed how good the building still looks today.
    Better knock on wood when you say that.

I always comment to myself when I pass by, "I bet that place is neither safe, clean, nor quiet."

Also isn't that Highland Park not Detroit there. That Chase Bank Branch is sooo much better than that house... /sarcasm

Has anyone ventured inside?

I'd love to see the inside. The reviews from people that have spent the night there are surprisingly good...

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Also isn't that Highland Park not Detroit there.
    No, it's still Detroit. The border is a block north, between Woodland and Tennyson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Any idea how old the postcard is? I'm curious about that house next door, which appears to have been replaced by a bank branch.
    No idea, it wasn't used and unfortunately they didn't put on them when the photo/postcard are from.

This reviewer had a decent stay at the Normandie, apparently.

While we are [[sort of) on the topic of the Normandie Hotel, does anyone know where this Hotel Normandie was located?

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    While we are [[sort of) on the topic of the Normandie Hotel, does anyone know where this Hotel Normandie was located?

It was located on Congress, near Woodward. Opened April 22, 1890. Don't have a closing or razing date. Coulda been part of the demos for the City-County Bldg.

That's a block north of the City-County Bldg., where the Comerica Tower stands today.

I think this building stood into the 1960s.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-14-09 at 06:48 PM.

The Prenford/Normandie apparently dates to about 1925. Here is a link to the same postcard picture posted above from the Arcadia Historic Detroit Hotels book, with a little more information about it:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=2i3...age&q=&f=false

It appears to have been a hotel for men, as the caption here indicates. It also shows on Sanborn maps as the "Prenford Stag Hotel."

Both in the 1928 city directory, and here, it shows it as being in Highland Park. But it definitely is not in Highland Park now. So, are these listings in error, or was the border changed at some point?

The big house to the south shows in the 1928 city directory as being occupied by Mrs. A. E. Cowman and John I. Martin. Earlier Sanborn maps show it as a private residence, and one of several large homes on the mostly pre-commercial Woodward of that time. A somewhat later Sanborn map shows the house being used as a restaurant.