Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hurlbut Memorial Gate

For those who remember the Hurlbut Memorial Gate on E. Jefferson and Hurlbut. It has been renovated....it was the Gateway to Waterworks Park.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; December-13-09 at 01:14 PM.

Retroit Guest

Wasn't this done a while ago, or is this recent?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Wasn't this done a while ago, or is this recent?
    It was started a while ago but for some reason either financial or political [[my guess would be both)...the project was on hold....the scaffolding was up for a very long time without any signs of work being done...but eventually it was completed with some very nice lighting installed.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; December-13-09 at 01:38 PM.

Now, if only they could fill the gaping obvious hole where the bust of Hurlbut used to be. And, better yet, finally finally reopen the damn park.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Now, if only they could fill the gaping obvious hole where the bust of Hurlbut used to be.
    Makes you wonder what sort of perverse pleasure someone has gained from having a stolen bust of Chauncey Hurlbut all these years [[I presume in their basement covered by an old blanket !).

More info from 2 years ago: http://modeldmedia.com/devnews/hurlbut10507.aspx

Lorax Guest

There are plenty of photos of it completed out there, here's some of my own from a couple of years ago:

Stupid Question....Why did they close the park? Has anybody ever been in the actual waterworks building?

Stromberg2

Lorax Guest

Never have been in the pumping station building, but I believe the park was closed about 60 years ago or so when the grounds were dug up for the "modern" treatment facility. There used to be historic pear trees from Detroit's founding there, as well as a Victorian pavilion building, minaret tower and lagoon.

It would be great to restore this park to it's original 19th century configuration, and would be a destination for the region, no doubt. Of course Belle Isle stands a better chance of that first, given the state of our economy.

Rideron Guest

YEAH!!! Thats the ticket!!!

Lets RE-DO IT!!! Put in Ferris Wheels and, and the lagoons and stuff like that guy sez!!! And, and they'll come from MILES around, see? ANd, they'll bring their MONEY and all, and then we'll be RICH and stufff and all kinds of people will MOVE here and leave those dumps like New York and Chicago and stuff,!!!

It'd be GREATTTT!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Stupid Question....Why did they close the park? Has anybody ever been in the actual waterworks building?

Stromberg2
    Closed for security reasons during WW II, I believe... to safeguard the drinking water supply from saboteurs...

After all, the underground reservoir vents are in full view.

Reopening the park to the public was discussed in the late '90s from what I understand, but then 9-11-2001 happened, and...

Never. It will never be reopened.

Lorax Guest

And the first "ride" we'll install will be the "Ridemeron" which bitches at you while taking a long walk off a short pier.

That would be the Rider-A-Moron.

Lorax Guest

Or perhaps the Ride Er Wrong, where one sits backward in the seat as they do with their ideology.

Retroit Guest

Here's some history on the park [[starting on page 19):

http://www.dwsd.org/history/complete_history.pdf

It says [[page 22) that it has been closed to the public since the Korean War.

Hurlbut Menmorial Gate in high dynamic range

Waterworks Park was a major city park and a big eastside destination back when my father was a child. It was closed because they were afraid the Commies would sneak in and flouridate our water or something, back during that days when there was purportedly a Commie under every bed just waiting to pollute our precious bodily fluids. At that time lots of people protested that the park should be reopened for neighborhood kids, along with the library branch that was also closed [[I suppose because Commies might also check out books and not bring them back). Instead, the city put in a small children's playground in one corner of the otherwise closed park, which I remember playing in when I was a kid.

My parent's, who lived on Pennsylvania nearby when the park [[and the library) closed, were active in the movement to reopen it. As far back as the Gribbs administration they had written assurances from the city that the park would be reopened, and the neighborhood would finally get the new library that was promised back when the Waterworks Park branch was closed. Instead, the children's park was closed [[again, with the reassurance that the whole park would be opening soon) and all the playground equipment removed.

Now I guess the increasingly poor people of that part of the east side STILL don't get their park back. Because someone is apparently afraid that some of our scary ethnic neighbors from another part of the area might come by like some Commies and try to flouridate the water or something. So, sorry, no park for you folks, but you can sure enjoy that refurbished gate! [[From the Jefferson side only, please)

Sadly the Hurlbut gate cannot be viewed by the public from the other side where a beautiful squared horseshoe staircase is located. That staircase would make for a spectacular wedding photo op location, with the Beaux Arts memorial in the background.

I've always thought that the gate should be relocated to where the floral clock is on the Belle Isle terminus of the MacArthur Bridge. Set on a high plinth and locked up at night, it would make for a dramatic entry to Belle Isle, where it could be rented out to wedding party photo ops.

All it is now is a momentary over-the-top fence ornament for those driving past on Jefferson Ave.

As Fury13 mentioned, Water Works Park hasn't been a park in over 60 years, and it's sad that visitors cannot appreciate it.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-14-09 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    There are plenty of photos of it completed out there, here's some of my own from a couple of years ago:
    The renovation looks great, but those lights are awful.

The park side of the gate, with its original lights.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/imag...y=0;view=image

Thanks EastsideAl!!

Isn't it ironic that the city spent money to restore a structure that we really cannot fully appreciate?

This is the 2nd restoration that I'm aware of. It was also restored during the CAY days... but I'm not privy to the specifics of either restoration, except that we all know [[thanks to one of the forumers who is a metal craftsman expert) that the metalwork was restored during the recent renovations.

Lorax Guest

The original entrance gates need to be replicated next, and water returned to the troughs in front and in the back. It is called Waterworks Park, afterall!

The cheesy fencing separating it from the sidewalk is disturbing, though was probably left up on purpose to keep people from ripping off the new orb lights [[low hanging fruit for scrappers!).

Also, some creative architectural lighting at night would help in protecting it, drawing the eye to it as you drive by.

stinkbug Guest

Isn't the park supposed to be for public enjoyment, not a fortress? Why can't we go there, and when will that change? It sure would be nice to stop by Pewabic and then stroll around the park or have a picnic or a barbeque. Or is it just so cars flying back home to GP can glance at it?

I understand it is probably related to the pumping station, but can't that facility be secured in other ways?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Isn't the park supposed to be for public enjoyment, not a fortress? Why can't we go there, and when will that change? It sure would be nice to stop by Pewabic and then stroll around the park or have a picnic or a barbeque. Or is it just so cars flying back home to GP can glance at it?

I understand it is probably related to the pumping station, but can't that facility be secured in other ways?
    Because detroit does such a great job taking care of the parks it currently runs-- what is needed now is MORE parkland? Face it, as ridiculous as it is, the best place for this monument is behind a fence and on secured property.

In between Pewabic Pottery and the Waterworks Park, there are already two other parks. West of Pewabic Pottery there are a few more parks until you finally hit Belle Isle. So I don't think there's really a need for more park in that area, but hopefully some day there will be more of a need, and more money, and it can be re-opened.

Something I'd rather see first is the conversion of Jefferson between Grand Boulevard and St. Jean into a boulevard, with some grass and trees in the median. There's a good number of people who live in that area, and I think Jefferson could become a more pedestian friendly retail area.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post

Not really. The underground reservoirs take up a lot of space under the grassy area in the park. I doubt that the property could be effectively patrolled or monitored if it was open.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast